Main Menu

Let's talk DRUMS!

Started by VOLVO))), June 03, 2011, 12:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

Who'd have thought it would be difficult to find a good quality maple 16 or 18 inch floor tom? This is dumb. I really want to play this kit.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Griz

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

apekillman

hey disco, have any pics of that kit?  those are some big ass sizes.

Discö Rice

inductorguitars

I like to saw blade and broken cymbals.

Griz

Quote from: Discö Fistö on June 12, 2011, 11:54:08 AM
Quote from: Griz on June 11, 2011, 10:34:31 PM
Quote from: mortlock on June 06, 2011, 10:41:53 PM

Speaking of DeJohnette, his signature stick is badass.

I like pencils. I think even Jack has used a pencil or two in his lifetime.

Discö Rice

VOLVO)))

Found my 18 inch tom. Vintage ludwig. Almost the same finish as my kick drum. I'll probably multi-purpose it...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

chlorpromazine

Quote from: Griz on June 11, 2011, 10:34:31 PM
Quote from: mortlock on June 06, 2011, 10:41:53 PM

Speaking of DeJohnette, his signature stick is badass.

Indeed. If you like that one, try the Vater Stuart Copeland signature. It is a .555 diameter stick (the Jack D is .565, same as the vic firth X5A), but feels a little more solid to me (Vater's hickory seems to be more dense than Vic's). The Pro-Mark 707 (hickory = Simon Phillips sig, white oak = Ed Shaughnessy sig) is similar. The Copeland has an oval bead and the 707 has more of a round bead tip. Both are really good for articulate cymbal work, at least that's why I like them.

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 13, 2011, 12:10:08 AM
Found my 18 inch tom. Vintage ludwig. Almost the same finish as my kick drum. I'll probably multi-purpose it...

I have a Slingerland 18x10 concert tom (single-headed) that I'm going to use as a jungle kick drum. It sounded OK as a floor tom, but I think that it'll function better with an EMAD, Impact, or SuperKick.

VOLVO)))

took ownership of that 18, yesterday. It's a beasssstt. I gotta order claws, tension rods and heads now, endg...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Slow

Alright, so, I've got the T-rods, claws, hoop, new heads for it, bent the legs for it, and it sounds fucking AWESOME. 10/14 toms sound good.

I need a snare, pedals, and cymbals, then I'm done buying shit for the rest of the year... maybe.

The Axis Longboards I've been experimenting with eat fat dick. They're fun, and fast as fuck, but even with wood beaters, they don't give me the feeling of really digging into the head.

so, I'm gonna pick up a second set of Iron Cobras, or perhaps DW9000's if I can stomach the 474 dollar price tag, if I can't find them used.

Anyone got a snare they wanna send me? Or extra iron cobras? I'll compensate with dirty emails between RacerX and I...
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

Slow

Just swung a set of 14in New Beats for 60 bucks. Now all I need is crashes and a ride..
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

Discö Rice

Axis pedals aren't made for power, that's for sure. My DW 9002 was a great pedal. Took me a bit of tweaking to get them to really pound, but once you get there, they're smooth and vicious.

Slow

Snare acquired! Joey Jordison fag snare with the S's all over it.

Lots of sanding to be done tomorrow... I have to sand off all that black paint, and then reshoot it, or polish the fuck out of it.

Discö Rice

That's a 13x7, is it not?

Slow

Discö Rice

I've never played a 13" snare. They sound good, but I don't think I could get used to the feel.

chlorpromazine

At one time I had a pacific 5x13 maple that was a nice snare. It had a nice, fat rimshot for a smaller drum. I don't go for anything below a 14 these days.

I have a couple of 10x15 Slingerland marching snares out in the garage that are in rough shape, but still have hoops (thank fuck) and lugs. They're kind of far down the project list though.

The most recent restore I did was a mostly rust-coated steel 6.5x14 first gen Pearl free floater. A friend found it in an abandoned rental house they were clearing out. After aluminum foil, 0000 steel wool, and polishing it looks and sounds godly. It weighs a ton, too. That's another "flip" that I'll never get rid of.

Pearl Eliminator (P-2002C NOT demon drive) is a nice heavy pedal that can deliver the thump as well.

Discö Rice

I'be been drooling over a few 15 and even 16 inch snares.  My 14x14 sounds killer but it's a little too tall to position comfortably. I've been looking at Pearl's free floating 14x12 marching snares,  but 15x10 would be fantastic. If you're looking to unload one of those in the next couple of months, shoot me a bmail (or whatever they're called now).

chlorpromazine

I just dug them out and  measured them both. They're 12" deep  :o

VOLVO)))

Anyone got a Maple 12 inch tom they wanna sell me?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Quote from: chlorpromazine on July 16, 2011, 11:28:32 PM
I just dug them out and  measured them both. They're 12" deep  :o
I am officially a jealous person now.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

apekillman

hey chlorp, what was the aluminum foil for?