Main Menu

Jam Room Band

Started by inductorguitars, June 08, 2011, 07:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

What tuning, big guy? Ill lay down some leadsyyyy and new riffs.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

inductorguitars

Finally got a new DMM so I can fix my VERY METAL pedal.

Loading up eyeprods files...

He's playing C C# yes?

inductorguitars

eyeprod

ha, good question. I think it might be B standard that I was tuned to. Otherwise I would guess it's D
CV - Slender Fungus

jibberish

wow, i missed out on this. M&B pointed this thread out.  awesome to actually see people actually brewing stuff up and making moves towards a combined effort. i'll listen to as much stuff as i can accesss, then start asking questions.

disco, it's all about the music, not that other general discussion tripe. you saw me way outside of my realm there. wont be going there ever again heh. i'm really here only for the music. would really like to work with you too, if that is cool with you.

inductorguitars

I'm currently ampless - so I'm borrowing an amp or two, more to come...

tossom

I just got a tascam interface for my pc for this, count me in ;D
"Beige rock"

SpaceTrucker

So how would I go about doing this? Connect the Line out of my amp into the microphone in on my computer and then to audacity? or should it be mic'd? Also what if the room where I play Buzzy? No mic...

inductorguitars

Quote from: SpaceTrucker on June 23, 2011, 02:43:10 PM
So how would I go about doing this? Connect the Line out of my amp into the microphone in on my computer and then to audacity? or should it be mic'd? Also what if the room where I play Buzzy? No mic...

I'd try to mic it into the mic input of the computer. (depending on what mic you have...) What gear do you have and I can tell you the best way to do it...

SpaceTrucker

My father has some mics, vocal Mics. I got a peavey vtm 120 and  a road 4 12(with 2 slot ports on the back). So micing is the best way?

inductorguitars

Yea mic it. What mics to you have access to?

jibberish

keeping it alive.   ok i used the drum+bass 24bit eyeprod files. look and smell like something reaper puked out. = works for me since i use reaper. i am not going to touch those eyeprod files in my project so that i can throw generically useable files in 24bit that fit with eyeprod's and everyone stays on the same page.

oh before i forget:
folks, audacity does not like 24bit wavefiles..SO i tried out Wavosaur way back when i set up my reaper (reaper needs external wave file editor, it is pure mixer) and wavosaur works nicely for slicing and dicing in 24bit.

y'all may think 24bit is extra storage waste bullshit, but i found a very valuable use for 24bit vs 16bit. when you are mixing w/e 10 tracvks down in reaper, 16bit wave source files blur/smear..w/e lose the definition of all that is happening far more than 24bit files do when you mix down a pile of those.

OK, I ended up with a basic "iommi and geezerstello meet the mummy" film soundtrack for a rhythm part. eyeprod is solidly in the key of C/c minor/ c pentatonic with that D above. this is an extreme bonus for me since C is my keyboard wank scale. i also chose my chord progression carefully in the bridgelette (heh not all that much time there) so that each chord carried "C" in it and didnt fight with the occasional motion off of C by the bass(like A min, B flat 9th, Dm7 w/e all still carry  the c)

"ok tough guy, where is it?" you ask. heh..making it up and dialling it in was the hard part, now i'll record it, and im going to make it thin, hopefully to help in a full mix and not fight the bass.
i am also cooking up a guitar wank, egyption drifting sand doom style, a way f'd up vocal piece AND a spacey psych ambience track..so i gots my plate full with this

jibberish

maybe slightly off-topic, but steinberg cubase 6 got stellar reviews from Mix magazine(i read that religiously heh)
it is 5 bills and can do certain things better than pro tools even. also stole a crapload of protools features which once made protools heads above...but not so much.

ALSO, if you want protools, load windows 98 on a smoking fast PC and get their old 98 version for free. remember, that was top of the line at one time. it still works and phukking phenomenally phor phree iph you phollow.

i really REALLY like reaper.  the install file is like 5megs and stores on a memory stick really easily for instant install on any random PC.  my only complaint so far is that the metronome seems to bleed across tracks = not cool. biut i need to spend more time looking that over very closely to make sure i'm not being a stu here...

Jake

I've always used Cubase (for modest home recording things) and have nothing but good things to say about it.
poop.

eyeprod

yeah I use cubase too. it's just fine.

it's cool to see someone actually thinking about and working on this concept. thanks jibberish!
CV - Slender Fungus

jibberish

i am working on it.   cutting room floor filling up fast...im changing tones..better just settle on something and move on.
sorting ideas for the vocals...etc...

these things have historically bombed. i have tried to start a bunch over the sr.com years. all fails.
or even pitched in like  the dubh croi black metal "idea" for a project... i composed like a mutherfucker and got a whole scratch track together..that was it..story after story.
so basically, from my perspective, YOU are the ONLY other person who actually has delivered ANYTHING....EVER.
that makes this thread pretty huge in my little world heh.

edit: notwithstanding other's adding in to this thread btw....

jibberish

ok, ive worked out a pair of rhythms. i like them both. one needs some massaging to fit better, but looking good.
im horsing around with wank tracks and i threw together some goofball vocals just to hear the rhytnm under it and how it fits.  seems like the thing broke into: intro/phrase/phrase/little bridge/phrase(solo no vocals)/phrase/phrase and it ended clean. i cant tell but the bridge seems a beat short or maybe im stretching some phrasing idk yet.

this is just a take from the reaper project. when i finally get nice tracks, i'll host them separately and timed with eyeprod's

and now, i probly should leave town cause eyeprod is coming after me when he hears this butchery heh.

http://www.rusynyk.com/jmusic/srcloudproject1a.mp3

inductorguitars

Hey,

Sorry about the absence. Had a series of utility failures - comcast, then ComEd, then I had to go to my grandmother's funeral.

I'm more of a rhythm guitar player and a better engineer. I do have a guitar part for eyeprod's tracks but haven't recorded it yet. Fucking real life. 

Jibberish's stuff is cool very Helios Creed. I like. Can you post the indvidual tracks?

jibberish

^ i am working on getting nice tracks for this now that i roughed out some kind of structure.
there are two total sabbath style rhythm tracks. one is solid. that faster one has a rough spot. also this take got off on the timing at one point, but good enough for the scratch version. not good enough for others to possibly use as the only rhythm track.

the vocals were just something, anything to fill in the phrasing so i could:
a) see if it COULD match the rhythm i was using
b)define some kind of phrasing and structure to get a 1:30 whole song heh.
   I like doing wacko lyrics, i have a notebook loaded with ideas and like one verse of some horseshit, and entire songs, so i just lazied out and did that again, but the phrasing is legit, or will be...

SO, yes my 1st 2 tracks will be nice 24bit takes of rhythm tracks, matched to eyeprod's original tracks, timing and length. im hoping to just offer a pile of pick-n-choose tracks for w/e mangling or w/e

additional tracks will be some type of wank (i tried one out in there too ) which will be matched but more a box of legos to slice out pieces if the whole deal is too incoherent.

im still working on a cosmic space ambience track, and dicking around with alll my synths and modules to find either a realy strangled oboe/snake charm sounding thing OR a real scratchy frankenstein movie violin sound. much fun is being had over at this end. :)

btw, isis and osiris really do sound like brands of flour. that sparked the whole lyrics thing heh.

eyeprod

I gotta check it out. I love Helios Creed, he is one of my favorites. If it sounds like him I'm all for it, but like I originally said, I'm not attached. Just wanted to put something out there and see what happens. Butcher it all you want. I love hearing other peoples approaches in this kind of setting.
CV - Slender Fungus

dogfood

Ok, so I have a throw away riff with an intro I want to throw out there.  I really like Eyeprod's when the levee breaks 4/4 drums but it ain't gonna jive with whats I got.  So, I need a 6/4 drum line (yeah, I know 6/4! sheesh!).  I'll post the intro and riff and the drum click this weekend or sooner.  warning, it has has a neil young touch to it.
Problem solving whiskey!

jibberish

ok, my 2 rhythm tracks of my 1st pattern are ok enough to throw out there.  if they still suck, lemme know, i'll redo them some more.

i want to mention that eyeprod showed some pretty keen foresight in puting his bass+drums together.  a hint of how the phrasing will be in the intro, then dead nuts simple, yet cool so is big space to play in. been great horsing around with it. not frustrating at all. thx :)

ok first an mp3 of the 2 tracks together with the bass+drums just so y'all get the idea.(  clean+distort same pattern) the guitars are mixed way forward for the example. use the separate tracks if more things will be involved.

http://www.rusynyk.com/jmusic/srcloudproject1rhythmpair1.mp3

here is first rhythm, the clean track, in 24bit wave format (took a while to upload heh)
version 1 is clean LP studio with PUP switch jumped and all vol/toneknobs on full, cause thats how i roll heh
http://www.rusynyk.com/jmusic/srcloudproject1rhythm1version1.wav
here is second rhythm , the dist track., also 24bit wav.
version 2 is with the HM-2. dist knob all the way off, tones tweaked however i fell it for the day, but always around the middle. gets too heavey metal when you get extreme with them. scooping and all that...sry i dont have a little 1watt tube amp to mic. i even have the right mic..i'll get that fixed along the way..but in the meantime, it came out kind of juicy
http://www.rusynyk.com/jmusic/srcloudproject1rhythm1version2.wav

these both have a mile of waste in the front, but they are timed to eyeprods tracks. once you have them set in your DAW, trim the whole front end off them if you want since it is just waste..or not since it is quiet waste heh

and FINALLY..my goofball vocals added to those rhyyms which are now backed off more properly. everything is dry except one copy of the vocals that got extreme delay echo and feedback for long echo repeat number.
i like copying tracks to add effects and keep a dry one. seems to all mix much cleaner/nicer/more detail
http://www.rusynyk.com/jmusic/srcloudproject1demo2.mp3

neighbor664

I was cleaning up my hard drive and found this. It's a song idea I had demo'd for my old band but forgot about.
Anyone who wants to take a stab at putting some drums, bass, vocals, violin solo or whatever floats your boat on this is welcome. It was done with a click, but maybe not too well. If you want to chop it up and rearrange it to make a club remix go right ahead.

http://snd.sc/oHm7WV

VOLVO)))

Herb, where the fuck is Erik?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

eyeprod

that sounds like a damnweevil track, neighbor ;D

I like the intro a lot. I can hear some drum parts, but damn there's quite a few changes that will take some listening to.
CV - Slender Fungus