Awesome new bass... RD Artist!!!

Started by zachoff, June 09, 2011, 04:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachoff

Seller's pics.  I took it to my tech to get cleaned and set up right after I bought it so I haven't taken pictures yet.  I've wanted one of these since the first time I saw them probably 15 year ago.  So stoked.

Lumpy

Oh wow! Nice bass! They're supposed to great for down tuning.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

I,Galactus

Nice moves!  Does it still have the original MOOG guts?
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

The Shocker

zachoff

Yup!  The only thing not original are the tuners.  Used to have the cloverleaf but seller said they crapped out a while ago & he replaced them w/ these.  He'd owned it since 1997 & got it from his grandpa who he says was a roadie for Skynyrd and claims to have gotten it from Leon Wilkeson.  Not sure if this is true or not, but it's a cool back story if it is.  Switches and input jack were a little scratchy and the finish isn't super pretty anymore, but all in all it's an awesome sounding and playing bass & I love it.

bloodofkings

I can't crap for shit.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

zachoff

Quote from: RacerX on June 09, 2011, 04:48:04 PM
That thing has a rad bridge. Nice!

Also a pain in the ass bridge.  I have one on my EB-3 and it sucks to adjust/intonate.  Once it's done it's cool but they're rad until you have to change something.

Metal and Beer

Man, those are killer (both the Moog elects. and the std. issue ones), heavy (maple, jah?) but mojo for days...cheers on that !
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bloodofkings

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 09, 2011, 07:12:52 PM
Quote from: bloodofkings on June 09, 2011, 04:41:15 PM
Can I have it?

This is bullshit, you are not Lippy.

Just picking up the slack in his absence. Someone's gotta do it. Haha.
I can't crap for shit.

grimniggzy

cool bass

young widows got that too...

How heavy would you say it is?
If I weren't so scrawny I could play big basses like that.
I have a T-40 thats clearly too heavy for me to play out.

I think my limit is like 11 lbs.

zachoff

Quote from: grimniggzy on June 10, 2011, 11:01:39 AM
cool bass

Dude from Young Widows actually has a couple First Act customs now.  Saw them last week and the Gibson didn't make an appearance. :(  I'd figure the bass weighs about 14lbs.  I played a T-40 for a while & it didn't really bother me much, but I'm a fairly big dude & really only play 30-40 minute sets so it's not like I'm up there for hours or anything.

Here's his new custom.  It's awesome.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

zachoff

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 10, 2011, 11:35:39 AM
2x10/2x12/1x15 is hooottttt

Actually, the top row is lamps.  ;D   Ended up being pretty awesome.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 10, 2011, 11:35:39 AM
2x10/2x12/1x15 is hooottttt

it's lights. looks weird. i guess it's something you'd have to see live??!

grimniggzy

Quote from: zachoff on June 10, 2011, 11:34:02 AM
Quote from: grimniggzy on June 10, 2011, 11:01:39 AM
cool bass

Dude from Young Widows actually has a couple First Act customs now.  Saw them last week and the Gibson didn't make an appearance. :(  I'd figure the bass weighs about 14lbs.  I played a T-40 for a while & it didn't really bother me much, but I'm a fairly big dude & really only play 30-40 minute sets so it's not like I'm up there for hours or anything.

Here's his new custom.  It's awesome.

ah shit, everyones got them now. saw trap them had em too when I saw them w/ converge in may. also the guitarist used 2 70's SVT's. Sounded sick.
yeah, I'm 5'7" 140 w/ rocks in my pockets. If I can't swing a t40, no chance I'll ever be able to go with most old gibsons, too bad.
my P's will have to do.

Metal and Beer

Rob from Solace plays(ed) one, and Reid from Rwake/Nachtmystium has the First Act Custom version. I think AJ from Grey might have one, too. Anyway I likes 'em
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

VOLVO)))

The chick from Grey plays a thunderbird?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bass sic

Yea that's hot Luna, she's got a different name now at the other place.
So I might be stupid, probably am but what's with the moog? What does that do for you?

I,Galactus

Quote from: bass sic on June 10, 2011, 03:31:22 PM
So I might be stupid, probably am but what's with the moog? What does that do for you?

Compression, expansion, bright mode, and all the pots run -5 to +5 instead of 0 to 10.

More info  and sound clips here:  http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/RDartist.php
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"