Main Menu

Ya ever feel like.........

Started by RAGER, June 10, 2011, 11:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Going on hiatus?  Me too.  So I did.  I put my band on hiatus.  I can do that because it's my band.  It's been me and a revolving door of members for the past 4+ years.  This last inception is shit hott too. but because of conflicting schedules and other dramas it always seemed like we were playing catch up and crunching for shows so we could be shit hot and not writing enough new material.  Started being a source of stress for me.  I told everybody that I would finish the record were in the middle of and pick it up in the fall if everyone was still down.  If not so be it.  I will continue on with other members or whatever.  I've been playing my drums more lately so maybe I'll play drums for somebody... fuck it who knows.

Because of this and other changes in my life (my girl of 22 years leaving me and taking the dogs and cats with her) I have more freedom than I've had in over a decade.  And I'm with a girl who I've known and liked for 15 years or so.  I want to spend the summer doing fun spontaneous things with her.  And generally just changing it up.  that and the local music scene has me douched out at the moment.

My drums are set up now downstairs, my Orange and Marshall are on 4x12's in the kitchen and I've played my acoustic more than ever lately.  Might even go out and play some fern bars.  I feel relaxed and free.  shroedinger would be proud ooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

your thoughts?
No Focus Pocus

LogicalFrank

Sun Splitter is going on tour for a week in a week and after that we are gonna hang up the show playing shoes and focus on writing for a while. We have been somewhat less than prolific due to constantly packing up and unpacking for shows so it will be something of a relief to just work on new stuff for a while.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

justinhedrick

i've tried before, but i can't. i need to rock . . .

RAGER

Yeah Frank that's the thing.  ya get tired of playing the same old shit.  Both the bass player and I have a head full of riffs and partial songs that just can't seem to get  finished.
No Focus Pocus

Discö Rice

Quote from: RAGER on June 10, 2011, 12:58:22 PM
Yeah Frank that's the thing.  ya get tired of playing the same old shit.  Both the bass player and I have a head full of riffs and partial songs that just can't seem to get  finished
That's the worst. My old band had like two hours of riffs and song parts we never managed to make complete songs out of.  That crap is so frustrating.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Chovie D

Quote from: justinhedrick on June 10, 2011, 12:32:11 PM

what he said. I think i can go without it and then I always get this unstoppable urge to rock. usually it comes on strongest when i go out to see some bands and they suck really badly but the crowd seems to like them anyway.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Discö Fistö on June 10, 2011, 01:03:42 PM
Quote from: RAGER on June 10, 2011, 12:58:22 PM
Yeah Frank that's the thing.  ya get tired of playing the same old shit.  Both the bass player and I have a head full of riffs and partial songs that just can't seem to get  finished
That's the worst. My old band had like two hours of riffs and song parts we never managed to make complete songs out of.  That crap is so frustrating.

i know exactly what you guys mean. i have 2 new songs that the band hasn't even touched because we are still playing old stuff, but then again, we play out about once every month.

chovie, i get the urge to rock when i hear bands like that too, or when i see a really GOOD band, or when i'm out on a friday night with none-rock friends. i'm begining to think that i'd give up my social life completely if i could just rock all my free time away!

RAGER

Quote from: Chovie D on June 10, 2011, 01:07:11 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on June 10, 2011, 12:32:11 PM

what he said. I think i can go without it and then I always get this unstoppable urge to rock. usually it comes on strongest when i go out to see some bands and they suck really badly but the crowd seems to like them anyway.
this happens all the time in Portland.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I'm still ok with the decision but I still wonder if it is the best thing to do.  We could just say we're not playing shows for 6 months and just woodshed.  But part of my reasoning was to just step away for a while.  I don't want to be tied down to having to be in town on a certain day for practice.  Like I said I'm enjoying the most freedom I've had in many many years.  And my new girl is the full package.  She's almost 40, owns her own house, has a great job which she loves, no goddamn kids, and she' one of the most beautiful girls I've ever been with, not crazy, and just generally awesome and fun.  I think I'm in..........So I'm spending a lot of time with her and not hanging out in my basement with 2 dudes one of which drinks way too much
No Focus Pocus

justinhedrick

Quote from: RAGER on June 10, 2011, 01:17:02 PM
I'm still ok with the decision but I still wonder if it is the best thing to do.  We could just say we're not playing shows for 6 months and just woodshed.  But part of my reasoning was to just step away for a while.  I don't want to be tied down to having to be in town on a certain day for practice.  Like I said I'm enjoying the most freedom I've had in many many years.  And my new girl is the full package.  She's almost 40, owns her own house, has a great job which she loves, no goddamn kids, and she' one of the most beautiful girls I've ever been with, not crazy, and just generally awesome and fun.  I think I'm in..........So I'm spending a lot of time with her and not hanging out in my basement with 2 dudes one of which drinks way too much

a wise man once said:
"you gotta do what randall pink floyd wants to do"

bass sic

I wouldn't mind taking a break during the summer. There's so much shit going on with life and work and the last place I want to be is in a jam room or loading gear up three flights of stairs to wait for two other crappy bands to get off the stage so my crappy band can play. Winter time I'm all for it.

RacerX

We've taken some time off, as well. Bassist is going through a lot of shit right now, as are me & the drummer. I've been playing my ass off at home, anyway, but I miss rocking out with those doods. Got some really good new material that we'll basically have to start over on when we resume, and the second album is already written.

I dunno, maybe I'll take the Baby Taylor out busking.
Livin' The Life.

the diddler

fuck yeah, the hiatus is where it's at.  my main band, I figure no one really gives a shit anyways and we all got mucho other stuff going on- and we're old and have to live real lives (which I admit sucks and is something I'm constantly weighing against being the old guy who ditches everything for another run at the rock & roll life); so who cares if we don't play a show for a year?  and stop practicing to boot?  I mean, at this point we can throw it together in a few practices and actually enjoy doing it if the right opportunity comes up.  We're actually playing our first show in a year in august- schedule doesn't work for the drummer, so we got another guy, whatever.  it's only rock & roll but i like it

VOLVO)))

I usually get down about the reliability of my bandmates, so it makes me not want to do anything.

Would you believe I had to load everything into the truck, load it all out, set it up, cable everything, tune everything, then load it all out after the set with no help because they were trashed?

true story.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 10, 2011, 11:10:25 PM
I usually get down about the reliability of my bandmates, so it makes me not want to do anything.

Would you believe I had to load everything into the truck, load it all out, set it up, cable everything, tune everything, then load it all out after the set with no help because they were trashed?

true story.
You're a far nicer guy than me.  that shit wouldn't even happen once with me.

No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

No, I'm really an asshole. I just didn't want to look like a flake because of those assholes. Everyone knows what went on, and they know they fucked up. They're doing it all next time.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.