My name is Justin, and midrange isn't my friend.

Started by justinhedrick, June 14, 2011, 12:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

really, on most of my amps i have the bass set around 6, the highs around 6 and the mids around 3 or 4. without it is sounds too . . . woofy.

what's wrong with me?  ???

LogicalFrank

"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

justinhedrick

Quote from: LogicalFrank on June 14, 2011, 01:01:07 PM
Child of the 90s.  :D

well, i was born in 82, so i guess your theory is correct?

i'm going to start experimenting with 2 amps: one set to my normal tone, and one set radically to hopefully compliment it . . .

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

I have just the thing as coveted by followers of Albini, it's the EQ part of the infamous guitar preamp.

I can be persuaded to part with it for the right price.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 14, 2011, 01:47:32 PM
You listen to too much Helmet.

you know, i really don't . . . now unsane and high on fire, yes.

and hemi: what is that thing?

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on June 14, 2011, 02:15:55 PM
It's a secret sauce box for guitar.

is it custom made or?

i changed the title of this thread. it isn't to say that i DON'T like midrange, it is just that it does bad things to my tone. it smears it . . .

Hemisaurus

No it was made by Intersound out of Boulder Colorado, who also made the IVP preamp

It does terrible things to your guitar sound, that lots of people really like ;D

justinhedrick

right on. i tried to find that notch thing on google and couldn't.

i ran across one of those IVP pre's back when i was about 20, but it was so messed up that i didn't buy it (pots were completely frozen, horrible buzzing noise). i probably should have. it was $50 . . .

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on June 14, 2011, 04:09:08 PM
Herbie, make me a harmonic percolator...

indeed.

i will even drive over and pick it up.

clockwork green

I've found that most people that scoop the miss either don't play in a band or do and hate their bass player or are too worried about messing up so they prefer getting lost in the mix.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

RacerX

The mids are what put the "snarl" into my tone. I'd sound like ass with them scooped out.

Livin' The Life.

justinhedrick

Quote from: clockwork green on June 14, 2011, 06:28:34 PM
I've found that most people that scoop the miss either don't play in a band or do and hate their bass player or are too worried about messing up so they prefer getting lost in the mix.

i play in a band and occasionally hate my bass player  ;D

tonight i'll try ADDING some mids . . .

to clarify, i don't scoop them, i just keep them a few notches down from the bass and treble.

RacerX

Yeah, I didn't mean you, man. I think most of us probably run the mids a tad lower than the highs and lows. There's some overlap.
Livin' The Life.

inductorguitars

Contrary to Hemi...

I love mid's!

Shh! But I plan to build low wattage amps <18 to 20 watts with a mid range boost via an inductor  ;D

I also plan  on building pedals starting with clones with bass, treble and Mid controls and various other enhancements. (First off Tube screamer, Big Muff and Harmonic Perc.

But don't tell anyone!

Hemisaurus

Not contrary to me atall, I passed no judgement on mids in this thread.

eyeprod

I've found that it depends on your guitar, pickups, pedals, and amp. A lot depends on how they're set, and/or the config. Some amps, especially. In my experience each one has a different eq. I might scoop the mids sometimes, and it sounds awesome. Other times if I cut mids it's to avoid that woofiness. On my v4 I must use some, or lots of treble. On a marshall, the treble must go down to get what I'm after.
CV - Slender Fungus

Slow

Haha, I dime the lows, and mids, and dump the treble, at least on the Marshall.. it's an icepicky fuck.

Too bad the tube/tubes went microphonic on me tonight. I had to switch over to the concert lead...

Herbie should post the "how to bias" thread now... I'm gonna have to retube it now... engh... son of a bitch.
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

inductorguitars

Quote from: Hemisaurus on June 14, 2011, 09:00:22 PM
Not contrary to me atall, I passed no judgement on mids in this thread.

I know I was just joking.

Actually prior to Shellac his tone was on the trebly side ala Gang of Four, but now it's very middy.

Slow

Its my JCM800. (durrr, forgot, SunnO))) here, I made an alter-ego so I didn't have all the mod options, also my post count was getting goofy high. haha.)

I wanna get the biasrite... but apparently it's discontinued?
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

inductorguitars

Quote from: Slow on June 14, 2011, 09:47:38 PM
Its my JCM800. (durrr, forgot, SunnO))) here, I made an alter-ego so I didn't have all the mod options, also my post count was getting goofy high. haha.)

I wanna get the biasrite... but apparently it's discontinued?

Install a 1 Ohm resistor and

Remember V=IR... ??

Danny G

Is your amp naturally mid-rangey?

I run a JCM800 loud and clean with a modded Blues Driver for dirt. My settings are Bass: 4, Mids: 3, Highs: 3, Presence 3.

Still sounds midrangey as fuck, but I also did a "gain focusing" mod to my amp to boost midrange.

Next time you play, ask your player friends if you're getting lost in the mix.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Jake

My name is Dimebag Darryl, and midrange isn't my friend either.

(also, I've been shot in the face)

Too soon?

poop.