Starting yet another band, looking for a small beater bass now...

Started by Wesogkan, June 22, 2011, 08:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wesogkan

Yep, I've decided to start a side project where I attempt to play bass. Need a $90 beater that my small hands can actually play...was looking at this:
http://www.daddys.com/detail.php?itemTitle=ibanez-gio&itemNumber=IBA05021

or this:

http://www.daddys.com/detail.php?itemTitle=ibanez-guitar-50&itemNumber=IBA3997

any suggestions?

Wesogkan

Both are being shipped to a store so I can try them out...I need them to not be too gigantic though. I do like the green paint job...

mortlock

also look into fender mustang basses..they are cool as hell.. 

justJon

I don't care for the blue, but those Gios are little, and surprisingly solid for a starter/beater bass. I had a red one some years ago. It was way too small for me, (I'm 6'2", 230 or so), but it sounded good.
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: justJon on June 22, 2011, 11:08:51 PM
(I'm 6'2", 230 or so)

BULL. SHIT. I'm 6'1, 242. There is absolutely NO way that we compare in size, you look like you could crush a small sedan in all of your pictures.

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justJon

??? OK, I admit I haven't any idea what size I truly am. I generally only notice when people are bigger than I am, because everyone (nearly) is smaller. I am larger than the average bear.

At any rate, my point about the Gio being a cool little bass stands.

VOLVO)))

haha, I was just kidding, I've always assumed that you getting out of a full sized SUV looks like a normal person getting out of a clown car.

I've played some little basses before... They're nice.

Jon, do you still have that ACC rig you picked up?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justJon

True. A van fits me about right. A regular "compact" ...well I'd need two, for roller skates. That's one reason I like big drums, I look fairly normal-sized behind them.

I do still have the ACC rig. It's currently our bass player's main gigging rig, so it gets lots of use, and it's still amazing.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

Squier makes a short scale Jaguar bass now, for 169 dollars.

No pics here, but link to show price and stats:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-bass-special-ss-short-scale

It looks like this:

Mixed pickups, so you should be able to get a sound you like out of it.

Comes in red, black or silver.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Wesogkan

Quote from: justJon on June 22, 2011, 11:08:51 PM
I don't care for the blue, but those Gios are little, and surprisingly solid for a starter/beater bass. I had a red one some years ago. It was way too small for me, (I'm 6'2", 230 or so), but it sounded good.

It's a weird shape, I dig it, but the green is really the right color. Solid is good, decent sound is good, little is mandatory...I'm 5'5", and lucky if I'm 125 right now, I have trouble finding guitars I can play comfortably without looking retarded, let alone a bass.

giantchris

If your budget is that low I'd probably go with something from rondo the SX basses aren't bad at all.  

Otherwise if you are dead set on one of those two Ibbys I'd go for the green one.

grimniggzy

That green ones kinda got a Bad Brains vibe about it.

For that price, what the hell.

I'd check into the squier line too if you're on a budget.

As far as short scales go you should definitely be looking in the direction of the Mustang down the line if you want to get serious with it.
At least thats where I'd be going as far as bang vs. buck & weight vs. bump go its kinda right in the middle IMO.
I especially like the Japanese colors.

SpaceTrucker

Gretsch has a short scale that isn't half bad. I don't know the cost though.

Are you sure you need a short scale bass? I understand if its a weight issue but if it isn't your better off just going normal scale, a lot More variety.

grimniggzy

she said it was a small hands problem

Hope you still plan on putting your RAT pedal to good use, Wesogkan. They sound awesome on bass.

Hemisaurus

I payed a Drive bass, that was part of a beginners kit, for a while. It sounded really good.

Beware that some of those Ibanez are 32" and not 30" or 29.75", it may make a difference to you.

Rondo, johnson, any beatle/viola bass, some daisy rocks, SG basses, hamer as well all do 30"s

zachoff

I hate those f'ing Gio basses.  They feel like toys.  I'd probably get a used black/white Squier P.  They're all over craigslist for under $100 and not a terrible bass.

Corey Y

+1 for a Squier. They're very inexpensive, even more so used, well made and they have a lot of short scale and smallish sized models. The Vintage Modified series has gotten a lot of praise and they're pretty inexpensive and light weight. Also since a lot of people buy them as starter instruments there are lot on craigslist and used in shops.

Wesogkan

Quote from: grimniggzy on June 23, 2011, 02:32:21 PM
she said it was a small hands problem

Hope you still plan on putting your RAT pedal to good use, Wesogkan. They sound awesome on bass.

It's already in good use with my guitars...

EddieMullet

Don't be afraid to check out a Jazz bass, my one friend might even be smaller than you and the Jazz bass fits her perfectly.

Slow

http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa4jrmn3ts.html

Here ya go, Sam... 30 inch scale is shorter by 4 inches, and it's a jazz bass, so it definitely has the slim taper... I'm sure you could get a decent grab on it. I look like a complete doof with little guitars.. Check out the vid I posted of Deaner's Lucite LP...
black aspirin: "Well, I started to talk about dogmatism, but by the time I finish this sentence, you will have probably re-defined it, so what's the point in using words at all?  And by 'words', I obviously meant 'pigeons'."

VOLVO)))

I did a little hands on research for you, to me, that Jag bass feels just like a guitar. Its tiny and light. Didnt sound half-bad, either.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

TheWolf IsLoose

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." -Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82)