pedals that are the same, or close to one another.

Started by justinhedrick, July 07, 2011, 09:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

confusing title, i know. but i think it would be a good resource for people to have a list of pedals that are the same, or close to one another.

for instance: dano french toast is a copy of the foxx tone machine and the ibanez fat cat is a rat variant.

what say you?

Jake

I've got a Line 6 DL4 that is was designed to mimic 16 classic delay pedals. Does that count?
poop.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Jake on July 07, 2011, 09:51:19 AM
I've got a Line 6 DL4 that is was designed to mimic 16 classic delay pedals. Does that count?

hmm. that's a good question. i could go either way on this: on one hand, it is a modeling pedal . . .

MikeyT

Quote from: justinhedrick on July 07, 2011, 09:24:19 AM
confusing title, i know. but i think it would be a good resource for people to have a list of pedals that are the same, or close to one another.

for instance: dano french toast is a copy of the foxx tone machine and the ibanez fat cat is a rat variant.

what say you?

"the ibanez fat cat is a rat variant"

Good thread, but that ^ line is somehow very disturbing.

Could you also say which of the pedals that you think are similar is the superior one?
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

justinhedrick

Quote from: MikeyT on July 07, 2011, 10:45:39 AM

what say you?

Could you also say which of the pedals that you think are similar is the superior one?

how is that disturbing? that's the truth. same chip from what i remember. i looked in one about 10 years ago.

Hemisaurus

You also might want to link in the Behringer clone list ;D

Also Big Muff, every BM is almost the same, bar the OpAmp versions.

VOLVO)))

what say you?

The RAT is a TUBESCREAMER variant... I thought there was only like three-four different designs, everything is based off a muff/fuzzface etc in the fuzz world...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

This has to be somehow related to the HM-2. I'm looking it up now. I fucking WANT one of these.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on July 07, 2011, 11:29:16 AM

what say you?

The RAT is a TUBESCREAMER variant... I thought there was only like three-four different designs, everything is based off a muff/fuzzface etc in the fuzz world...

i understand what you are saying but it is a different pedal. the fat cat is a rat made by ibanez. make sense?

VOLVO)))

It really is a RAT Clone... according to the webz.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com/temp/ibanez_fatcat_la_metal.pdf

The LA metal is, too, just omitting a few things from the circuit... hahaha not even close to an HM-2.

JRC5534DD in both the FAT CAT and the LA METAL.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

LogicalFrank

Quote from: SunnO))) on July 07, 2011, 11:35:51 AM
It really is a RAT Clone... according to the webz.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com/temp/ibanez_fatcat_la_metal.pdf

The LA metal is, too, just omitting a few things from the circuit... hahaha not even close to an HM-2.

JRC5534DD in both the FAT CAT and the LA METAL.

Interesting. How reliable/well built are those old Ibanez pedals? Never had one...
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

justinhedrick

those pedals were somewhat reliable, i had a buddy who had the dark green modulation delay pedal (don't remember the name) but i DO remember that he had to send it back to ibanez twice to have them fix it (it was a multi tiered circuit board with the switch attached to one of the boards. step on the switch wrong and it would flex one of the boards . . . to many times and it would break.

VOLVO)))

There should be no problems with those switches unless you are unnecessarily hard on your pedals. I have a couple, and all of them are nice and sturdy. I play without shoes, so...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

LogicalFrank

Cool... I am not hard on my switch at all as I just leave the thing on all the time. There is a LA Metal on eBay right now for $50 BIN if anyone is interested. I'd snap it up myself but I have a couple bids out on other stuff.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

VOLVO)))

Quote from: LogicalFrank on July 07, 2011, 12:05:05 PM
Cool... I am not hard on my switch at all as I just leave the thing on all the time. There is a LA Metal on eBay right now for $50 BIN if anyone is interested. I'd snap it up myself but I have a couple bids out on other stuff.

The fact that is named LA metal warrants (HAHAHAHA) someone here buying it... probably sounds BEAST on bass...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Corey Y

The Danelectro Daddy-O is supposedly the same circuit as the Marshall Guv'nor.

Chovie D

omg  that LA Metal sounds like pure ass, just ike a Boss HM2 or metal zone. THIN and brittle sounding.
:'(

Dano made a whole line of pedals that is nothing but clones. some of em VERY good clones, all in shitty little plastic cases. Behringer too. too many of those to list, google.

boss FZ2 is supposed ot be a univox superfuzz clone. I have both and they are similar but of course not the same.

I disagree that all big muffs sound alike as my NYC big muff is a complete turd and my rams head is the voice of god, niehter of whch sound anything like the green russian.

Ibanez also made a soundtank series with alot of cline like pedals in that line. they can be had for 15$ used now. Some are quite good.
Those that like the la metal and hm2 might enjoy the "thrasher" fom that libne...I have one and it blows.

Instant Dan

The DS1 is supposed to be very similair in design to the Pro Co Rat.

Hemisaurus

Fucking ipad ate my responsem read this, and revise the meaning of the word similar http://www.pisotones.com/BigMuffPi/psst/BMP_versions.htm
Quote from: Chovie D on July 07, 2011, 04:44:20 PM
omg  that LA Metal sounds like pure ass, just ike a Boss HM2 or metal zone. THIN and brittle sounding.
:'(

Dano made a whole line of pedals that is nothing but clones. some of em VERY good clones, all in shitty little plastic cases. Behringer too. too many of those to list, google.

boss FZ2 is supposed ot be a univox superfuzz clone. I have both and they are similar but of course not the same.

I disagree that all big muffs sound alike as my NYC big muff is a complete turd and my rams head is the voice of god, niehter of whch sound anything like the green russian.

Ibanez also made a soundtank series with alot of cline like pedals in that line. they can be had for 15$ used now. Some are quite good.
Those that like the la metal and hm2 might enjoy the "thrasher" fom that libne...I have one and it blows.

Corey Y

The Boss FZ2 is indeed very similar to the Superfuzz. Close enough that I sold a boutique clone with NOS parts and kept the hyperfuzz.

blackkrosses

I think there is a one resistor difference between the mxr distortion+ and the dod 250 overdrive.

justinhedrick

Quote from: blackkrosses on July 08, 2011, 07:20:44 PM
I think there is a one resistor difference between the mxr distortion+ and the dod 250 overdrive.

i think you are right. in all my guitar years i've never tried one, but i've always wanted to because people i respect played them:  randy rhoads, chris spencer.

they are pretty trebly, aren't they?

MikeyT

Quote from: justinhedrick on July 07, 2011, 10:48:49 AM

what say you?

how is that disturbing? that's the truth. same chip from what i remember. i looked in one about 10 years ago.

Ha, ha. I meant in animal terms. I understood what you were saying; but as I read the line, I pictured a cat which was somehow part rat, and the image was "disturbing".  :D
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

blackkrosses

Quote from: justinhedrick on July 09, 2011, 08:54:14 AM
Quote from: blackkrosses on July 08, 2011, 07:20:44 PM

i think you are right. in all my guitar years i've never tried one, but i've always wanted to because people i respect played them:  randy rhoads, chris spencer.

they are pretty trebly, aren't they?

From what I understand, yes.