Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

Those G&Ls are goddamned gorgeous. And that cab. And that Lester. Well done, lads.

I'm in the middle of putting together the bastard child of a Gibson and a Fender. Gibson shape, with set neck and 24.75" scale; Fender pups, electronics, and color scheme.

The goal (but not doing triple pups)

poop.

Volume

Cool, I just saw a korina V with a tele neck and hardware. Hot!

Submarine

Quote from: Jake on May 03, 2015, 12:20:20 PM
I'm in the middle of putting together the bastard child of a Gibson and a Fender. Gibson shape, with set neck and 24.75" scale; Fender pups, electronics, and color scheme.

That's going to look very cool.

da_qtip

Well I went and bought that YBA-1 today. And I'm pretty sure I left my wallet there. I need gas to go pick it up. I need money for gas...

At least this thing rocks. It's loud as hell and loves my Pharaoh. The guy didn't mention until I got there that it only has a 2 prong cord so I'll need to get that changed.

mortlock

VOLVO)))

The three prong convert is easy peasy
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Pissy

Yeah, and it also means that the thing is likely not modded.  Sweet!
Vinyls.   deal.

da_qtip

Yeah it's unmodded. I'm no electronic guy so I'm probably gonna take it in and have someone put the 3 prong cord on and just check everything out. I don't think the guy had used it recently as while I was testing it out his wife came out amazed it still worked haha.

Also when you guys said this was a loud amp I didn't realize it was like, shake papers off the desk while turned up to 2 loud. I love it.

Bro. Righteous

Hey da, think you might have a YBA-1A there no? The 1A's were rated 90Watts tube power as opposed to the typical 45-55Watt YBA-1 versions.
Even though they both shared 2-power tubes the 1A's were louder/better IMO.

I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...

da_qtip

Oh my god I'm an idiot. I assumed the YBA-1A was just a newer variation of the YBA-1. Kind of like the shure SM7, SM7a, SM7b...

Well I got a lot more amp than i was expecting. I guess that's good.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

You know what would be awesome.... 2 YBA-1A's. 

nudge nudge.
Vinyls.   deal.

da_qtip

If I ever need to demolish my house I'll get a second one. I'd need another cab too...

Stop tempting me!

Baltar

Cauldron of WIN, Q! Welcome to the Traynor club.

Here's where I got confirmation about the YBA/YBA-1A 45/90 Watt "magic trick":

http://www.0rigami.com/vb/yorkvillehistory.pdf

"Product-wise, someone must have pointed out to Pete Traynor that there was a rather large gap in power between the 45 Watt YBA-1 and the 130 Watt YBA-3. In any case, the YBA-1A
"Bass Master Mark II" (90 Watts rms @ 4 Ohms) was ushered in during 1968. Looking identical to the YBA-1 except for its name and a telltale fan built into one end, the Mark II delivered around double the YBA-1's power from the same two 6CA7 output tubes, a fact which still leaves vintage amp collectors dumbfounded. Soon after its introduction the YBA-1A encountered
growing use by guitar players."

"Competitors were often quite liberal with their power ratings. Some used fully distorted maximum Watt ratings -double the sine wave rating - and called them "rms" which is perfectly legal since "rms"
(root mean square) has no bearing on distortion. Others used "peak" ratings which are even less meaningful. But Pete couldn't do this. Having established a "clean" criterion for bass amp power ratings, he naturally later carried it into PA and guitar amp power ratings. Why not use two types of ratings, a clean one for bass amps and PA, and a "dirty" one for guitar amps? Because Yorkville could end up with "90-watt" guitar amps that were clearly no more powerful than"45-watt" bass amps - a major ratings jumble, especially considering that guitar players were using Bass Masters almost from day one. So, not surprisingly, Traynor literature contained no power specifications well into the
1970s.  And when the numbers did finally appear in literature, for years thereafter people would say,"There are Watts and then there are 'Traynor Watts,'" implying that the Traynor Watts were somehow bigger. (But now you know the rest of the story.)"

I just loaded my $65 Epi cab with 4 W.G.S. G12Q's. These are supposed to be the go-to 5E3 speaker replacement. They were pure fucking magic with my YBA.

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Baltar

Quote from: Volume on May 03, 2015, 08:16:59 AM
Hello!

"NOS" Gibson Guitar of the Week #42, superditortions sure sound sweet. Love it, great guitar!

Does it come with a bib? Cauldron of WIN.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Hagard

Just one a 1960's Egmond Bass 7 on ebay  :D

Here is a picture of one I'll post a photo once it arrives.

http://guitarz.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/1960s-rosetti-bass-7-by-egmond-guitars.html

Danny G

New boost.

As per the Project 3.0 thread I built 2 non-functioning boost circuits and fuckered my TS808 clone by swapping out socketed parts. Then built another EP Boost circuit in effort to save $100.

Thus, I introduce the newest member of my guitar chain, as my circuit building skills have apparently shit the bed.

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

heytrid

Picked up a 2011 Melody Maker Explorer, I wanted one for a while and I wanted something I could refinish and play with, for the price tag of $200 I figured I could not go wrong, Also I wish it was full size but I do love the V style headstock.

Been wanting one of these for a long time now so I grabbed this one when I could, it is a 2005 Custom (still has ebony fretboard) pretty much no wear on it anywhere, has a few small marks from being put in a wall hanger or on a stand and a small amount of the gold on the bridge rubbed on the very edge.

Jake

Dag. Nice Custom. I never thought those looked quite right with the speed knobs though. If I was you, I'd either pop on some reflectors or witch hats. Just for aesthetics, mind you. Because I'm shallow like that.

poop.

Omlet

Polish Flame LPIII. Alder body, bolt-on neck, "crappy" pickups that sound really acceptable. Pickups frames are broken, body is slightly damaged, fretboard was extremely dry. Also one tuning machine is fucked and tuners are really bad.

I received it for free, incl. case :D Some random guy from local FB group wanted to give it away and I was first :) Probably I will fix it and sell it or keep as backup guitar.

Damn, now I'm GASsing hard for a "proper" LP :D

ED: sorry for crappy pic, my new phone makes shitty photos :/

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Baltar on May 09, 2015, 01:05:15 PM
Cauldron of WIN, Q! Welcome to the Traynor club.

Here's where I got confirmation about the YBA/YBA-1A 45/90 Watt "magic trick":

http://www.0rigami.com/vb/yorkvillehistory.pdf

"Product-wise, someone must have pointed out to Pete Traynor that there was a rather large gap in power between the 45 Watt YBA-1 and the 130 Watt YBA-3. In any case, the YBA-1A
"Bass Master Mark II" (90 Watts rms @ 4 Ohms) was ushered in during 1968. Looking identical to the YBA-1 except for its name and a telltale fan built into one end, the Mark II delivered around double the YBA-1's power from the same two 6CA7 output tubes, a fact which still leaves vintage amp collectors dumbfounded. Soon after its introduction the YBA-1A encountered
growing use by guitar players."

"Competitors were often quite liberal with their power ratings. Some used fully distorted maximum Watt ratings -double the sine wave rating - and called them "rms" which is perfectly legal since "rms"
(root mean square) has no bearing on distortion. Others used "peak" ratings which are even less meaningful. But Pete couldn't do this. Having established a "clean" criterion for bass amp power ratings, he naturally later carried it into PA and guitar amp power ratings. Why not use two types of ratings, a clean one for bass amps and PA, and a "dirty" one for guitar amps? Because Yorkville could end up with "90-watt" guitar amps that were clearly no more powerful than"45-watt" bass amps - a major ratings jumble, especially considering that guitar players were using Bass Masters almost from day one. So, not surprisingly, Traynor literature contained no power specifications well into the
1970s.  And when the numbers did finally appear in literature, for years thereafter people would say,"There are Watts and then there are 'Traynor Watts,'" implying that the Traynor Watts were somehow bigger. (But now you know the rest of the story.)"

You can get 100w out of a pair of EL34 if you run them right at the top of their voltage tolerance. Modern ones won't last too long like that, but its possible. I have a 200w 4 EL34 amp I don't trust to use.

eyeprod

I found one of these traynor ycv-212 cabinets in my garage the other day, so I tried it out and ended up trading my tenant for a couple of months worth of storage. It's a 2x12 horn style cab. Matches up with my traynor 4x12 pretty well and it's pretty killer with bass and my ampeg v4. I've got it stacked up on the 4x12 and it's handling midrange to treble frequencies, while the 4x12 is handling mids and bass freqs. It seems to be bright, which works out well with my synth rig for a fuller sound.

CV - Slender Fungus

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!

Danny G

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com