This is now what I think of when I see white guys playing 'blues'

Started by Instant Dan, July 18, 2011, 10:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!

bass sic

liquidsmoke

Haha!
I was just talking the other day with someone about white blues players. But "blues rock" or blues influenced rock, white dudes can do pretty well at, especially when it's mixed with psychedelia and/or heavy fuzzy chords. BLUE FUCKING CHEER.

mortlock

neighbor664

The notion that a style of music is exclusive to one race or another is preposterous. One of the great beauties of music is that it has the power to smash all racial, cultural and economic backgrounds.
The idea that the color of your skin has any bearing on the quality of your playing and the depth of your soul is just as racist as presuming that the color of ones skin dictates the content of ones character. It's 2011 folks!

LogicalFrank

There was a time when blues and jazz music frightened parents like rap music did when I was a kid. I figure most parents of young kids and teenagers are of the right age to be hip to rap nowadays so I don't know what scares them now.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

liquidsmoke

Quote from: neighbor664 on July 19, 2011, 10:15:41 AM
The notion that a style of music is exclusive to one race or another is preposterous. One of the great beauties of music is that it has the power to smash all racial, cultural and economic backgrounds.
The idea that the color of your skin has any bearing on the quality of your playing and the depth of your soul is just as racist as presuming that the color of ones skin dictates the content of ones character. It's 2011 folks!

I agree for the most part but the idea of a white guy playing early style blues and calling himself a blues musician in that sense rubs me the wrong way. How many white guys do so? I'm not sure, very very few that I know of. Johnny Lang although a great guitar player kind of comes across to me like this in some ways and I can't get behind it. It's just too weird. If that makes me racially prejudice so be it.

Discö Rice

I can't stand Stevie Ray Vaughan.

but to the original point - Even if we're not talking about race, a soft, affluent, disconnected upbringing leading to a soft, affluent, disconnected life is not ideal for understanding music written by poor people about suffering, largely at the hands of soft, affluent, disconnected people.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Worthless Willie

"I can't stand Stevie Ray Vaughan."

Did you ever get to see him play live?

Dude was fucking phenomenal.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

Chovie D

Ever been to a blues or jazz club? Its like 20$ to get in, then a $10 drink minimum with $8 drinks.
The clientele are white and wealthy and the music is usuually incredible generic and watered down.

I cannot think of a single white blues musician i enjoy...not one. (okay Roy Buchanon maybe....)
im not a big jazz guy, but same with jazz...on their team starting pitcher John Coltrane! on our team..starting pitcher...Kenny G(who wil be replaced in the second inning with Doc Severenson).

RacerX

Yeah, white dudes trying to play the blues are as pathetic as...

...Black dudes trying to rock...

...or Mexicans playing anything but Mariachi.

...and don't even get me started on non-fat, non-bearded, skinny, non-opiate-addicted Yankees who try to play Sludge.

**Oh, yeah. Edited for the fucking Jews:

Livin' The Life.

dogfood

When I play the blues it's called FUCKING PUNK ROCK!  It is my authentic pain music. 

And, since nobody has mentioned this term I'll throw it out there "blues laywer".  As in "How much do you think that Gibson Custom Eric Clapton 1960 Les Paul Antiquity Burst-Aged and Signed set that blues lawyer back?" 
Problem solving whiskey!

neighbor664

Quote from: RacerX on July 19, 2011, 06:49:58 PM

Yeah, white dudes trying to play the blues are as pathetic as...

...Black dudes trying to rock...

...or Mexicans playing anything but Mariachi.

...and don't even get me started on non-fat, non-bearded, skinny, non-opiate-addicted Yankees who try to play Sludge.

**Oh, yeah. Edited for the fucking Jews:

APPLAUDED!!!

But didn't you know all white people come from good homes, don't know pain and suffering. They posses no empathy. Have never had anyone close to them die or a lover cheat on them. They know nothing of the world around them and all the terrible things that people do to one another.

How many African Americans do you know or know of that even like or give a shit about blues music? Let alone aspire to play it proficiently? Seems to me that blacks have by and large abandoned the blues.

neighbor664

Only genuine serial killers and real nazi death camp personnel can make authentic thrash metal? Or is it that only long haired, white, males from the SF suburbs can play it convincingly? I'm confused.

black_out

By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

Discö Rice

Quote from: Worthless Willie on July 19, 2011, 03:30:26 PM
"I can't stand Stevie Ray Vaughan."

Did you ever get to see him play live?

Dude was fucking phenomenal.
Never saw him in person, no. If anything I've heard way too much of him. His voice is terrible. I don't like his tone or the songs he wrote. I guess if I was at a company barbecue or something, his music would be appropriate for the surroundings, but I'd probably leave early.

LogicalFrank

He sings like Huey Lewis. He can wail on guitar but he never did anything that made me give a fuck. Plus he's got small teeth and big gums. Three strikes!
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Discö Rice

Quote from: Chovie D on July 19, 2011, 04:28:16 PM
Ever been to a blues or jazz club? Its like 20$ to get in, then a $10 drink minimum with $8 drinks.
The clientele are white and wealthy and the music is usuually incredible generic and watered down.

I cannot think of a single white blues musician i enjoy...not one. (okay Roy Buchanon maybe....)
im not a big jazz guy, but same with jazz...on their team starting pitcher John Coltrane! on our team..starting pitcher...Kenny G(who wil be replaced in the second inning with Doc Severenson).

Gonna have to go ahead and respectfully disagree with you on the white jazz musician front. on whitey's team, starting pitcher... Buddy Motherfucking Rich.

This is Buddy in a famous drum battle with another badass white jazz drummer (who I actually enjoy listening to more), Ed Shaughnessy.

And here's one between Rich and Krupa

It should also be noted that what Kenny G plays is not jazz.

clockwork green

"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Discö Rice

Quote from: clockwork green on July 21, 2011, 02:00:11 PM
Buddy Rich vs Animal was a better battle.

I can't dispute that :)

I will however add almost the entire NBC Orchesta to the list of white jazz musicians who KILL IT.

Behold

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

i can't believe I'm contributing to this thread.  but anybody on here that doesn't recognize the fact that SRV had "it"  doesn't know what "it" is.  He had "it" like like Hendrix had "it" and Eddie had "it".  You've been too influenced by "blues Lawyer" hate.

Now go listen to your Kyuss records.  Fucking puke
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.