anyone have any experience cleaning gunk out of peavey speakers?

Started by justinhedrick, July 21, 2011, 03:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

i own a 1x18 for our bass player to use, but the foam dust cover that used to set on the back of the basket got into the voice coil, got hot, and is now gunking it up, causing a nasty distortion (because the bobin literally sticks to the side of the magnet.

so now i have to get it out. but here is the best part: it is also in the windings of the bobin. so now i have to get that out of there as well.

ideas?

Baltar

Yuk, I've never heard of anything like this.  I do know that there is a cone repair gunk that you can buy, was it repaired? 
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Hemisaurus

So unbolt the magnet and clean it. Masking tape in the gap, use something like Naptha on the voice coil, and be gentle.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on July 21, 2011, 04:48:11 PM
So unbolt the magnet and clean it. Masking tape in the gap, use something like Naptha on the voice coil, and be gentle.

that's what i was thinking. masking tape and probably goo gone on the voice coil.

mortlock

i had to wipe mold off my speakers and cab..i used alot of alcohol..it seemed to work. but i was very careful with the application of it..

VOLVO)))

I'd use spit if it's just "gunk."

Spit is one of the better solvents out there.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

a Peavey 18"  How about a recone or a different speaker?  Is it that good?
No Focus Pocus

LogicalFrank

Quote from: SunnO))) on July 22, 2011, 01:59:30 PM
I'd use spit if it's just "gunk."

Spit is one of the better solvents out there.

DNA evidence.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

justinhedrick

Quote from: RAGER on July 22, 2011, 02:54:03 PM
a Peavey 18"  How about a recone or a different speaker?  Is it that good?

yeah, you can get a new basket for a little over $100. but i want to see if i can fix it first before it comes to that.

Hemisaurus

He's talking about the foam they used for covering the vent in the magnet, it's come off and got gunged up on the voice coil of the basket.

Even if he gets a new basket, he still has to clean the gunk out of the magnet gap, and at $180 (or is it $80) a pop for a new basket, seems a trifle like overkill for a 20 minute job with an allen wrench, some masking tape and some goo cleaner.

Hmm, seems baskets have gone up from $80 to around the $100 mark. Tell you what Justin, if you decide to go the new speaker route, hang onto that old one, and I'll come through an pick it up  ;D

RAGER

i was just thinking it might be a good excuse to upgrade.  Good repair practice though.
No Focus Pocus