Can everyone agree on the Magnificence of RUSH?

Started by MR. CREEPER, August 04, 2012, 12:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR. CREEPER

Haven't picked up the new album yet, but watched Beyond the lighted Stage again the other night, and just can't stop thinking how great this band is and how much they have influenced me? And you all...?

frobbert

bite me

skydogdiesel

that doc is ridiculously good.  really shows that they're buds first before business. being canadian myself i'm surprised at how many musicians up here dont like rush.  also, i think it's hillarious that they got theyre break in the states too-but what else is new.....
grandma always said the money's in dick and fart jokes...

Woody

I love the first Rush tape and only a handful of songs after that. The movie is mint.

GodShifter

One of my favorite bands of all-time! They are only probably behind Black Sabbath. In my eyes, they can do no wrong.

Even the albums I thought were terrible (stuff like Presto) I have a better appreciation for now.

I've only listened to the new one once, but I thought it was quite good.

The Shocker

I don't want to be a hater and poop on this thread, but I just don't get them.  And it's not Geddy's voice.  That said I do like that Working Man song. 

MikeyT

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Demon Lung

I'm not a rush hater but I'm no rush fan either. Some songs I'll turn if I hear them. I put them in the same boat as bands like queen. I respect the talent but I'm not feeling it. I could totally tell from looking at godshifters picture that he is a big time rush fan. He looks like a big time rush fan

Lumpy

Quote from: Woody on August 05, 2012, 07:51:17 PM
I love the first Rush tape and only a handful of songs after that. The movie is mint.

I agree with all that. Plus, I like Geddy Lee as a bass player (who sings too, whoa). Multi-tasking. He plays the bass great, for a singer.

Dislike: Roto Toms, kaftans, handlebar mustaches, pretentious lyrics about the gleaming hallways in the kingdom of Versoothe, or whatever. Libertarians. Long songs with weak hooks (early Peart period).
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Woody

Sides one and four of All The World's A Stage are mint, too. Sides two and three are a snoozefest for me.

(I left this comment on the original SR.com board and I remember Godshifters exact response "feh to you, sir." Still makes me crack up every time I see that tape.)

grimniggzy

vinyldinosaurus

I've been a Rush fan for 31 years now. Since I was 12 year old. Moving Pictures was the first album to really blow my mind and listen to music differently than I had been up to that point. They're responsible for shaping my taste in music which has evolved to be very open minded. Wasn't that big on Vapor Trail or Snakes and Arrows but the new album is amazingly good! Gonna see my 10th Rush concert in October!

CanookieWookie

How come this band is not in the rock n' roll hall of fame?

mortlock

their great shit is beyond great..their crappy shit is beyond crappy.

BigSwordfishtrombone

From what I've heard, the music is great, but the vocals are a massive let down imo. I would probably like them a lot if they had a different singer.

Andrew Blakk

I've acctually quite recently gotten into them. I bought the Roll the bones record when it can out, because of som GW tabs and that was pretty much it.

I heard several songs of course during the years like Tom Sayer etc but never really given them much thought. Until now... Been going through the earliest records for some time now and damn. Really good stuff.
And spinned the Clockwork angels today, great record. (More likely pushed the play button on Spotify though.)

Impressive band for sure!

RAGER

Huge Rush fan here.  They're like a good friend that has been along my side since we were kids.  gettin high. gettin laid, gettin in trouble, partyin'.  man we did it all Rush and me.
No Focus Pocus

themusketking

YYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Huge Rush fan.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.

Coyote Duster

HUGE fan since the early days!!  Although there have been a few missteps along the way (I despise Presto, Roll the Bones, Counterparts and Snakes & Arrows) but their latest, Clockwork Angels, is magnificent, the first Rush album I like from front to back since Power Windows!!

Their sound has continually grown and evolved and only certain albums would fit the "stoner" label, but the ones that do should be part of any stoner album collection!

natehusky

The musket king aka Matt just splooged all over himself & his rush records

Screamin Eagle

I can agree! RUSH is one of those seldom bands who you just cant compare to anything else...

JLKOWAL

Of course RUSH was one of the greatest of all time - Neal Peart was one of the greatest drummers of all time. Geddy's voice was an acquired taste; I used to despise his vocals but I just learned to go along with it. :)