True Crime books

Started by The Shocker, December 20, 2010, 03:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demon gal

I liked the Architecture/World's Fair part. I've read other books on H.H. Holmes so to me there was nothing new about him in Devil in White City but I learned a lot about Chicago architectural history.

MikeyT

Quote from: demon gal on June 03, 2011, 11:17:46 AM
I liked the Architecture/World's Fair part. I've read other books on H.H. Holmes so to me there was nothing new about him in Devil in White City but I learned a lot about Chicago architectural history.

Great.

And you've read other books on Holmes. Hmm, sounds like at least three, total.

As long as you don't start building your own "castle". 
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

The Shocker

Has anyone read Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933-34?  It looks good (and it's on Kindle).

greenskeeper

Not murder, but drugs!  High: Confessions of a Pot Smuggler by Brian O'Dea was a decent read.  The author was the smuggler, so it gives a pretty good first hand account of what it was like pulling this shit off in the 70's and 80's.  Dude said he ran coke once, but thought it was too easy....

MikeyT

^ Both of those sound interesting.
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

demon gal

Quote from: MikeyT on June 04, 2011, 09:17:05 AM
Quote from: demon gal on June 03, 2011, 11:17:46 AM

Great.

And you've read other books on Holmes. Hmm, sounds like at least three, total.

As long as you don't start building your own "castle". 

I read two other books about him. No hidden rooms or gas chambers in my apartment, that I know of. However I did find some creepy R.I.P. notes with different names and dates written on the wall above the door inside my bedroom closet. Who knows what the heck went on in that place before I moved in.

RAGER

i also have read a book about Herman Mudgett.  Super fascinating.  I remember some really weird details about putting lime on bodies in a pit and necrophilia.  that was crazy shit.  I wonder why you don't hear more about that guy.

Along the same lines is maybe historical fiction?  Like James Ellroy.  Reading White Jazz right now.
No Focus Pocus

The Shocker

Read some Ellroy when I was younger.  I liked him a lot until I started seeing him on various TV shows talking in 50's/60's hipster lingo.

RAGER

yeah. Ellroy is a bit nutty.  Just finished White Jazz.  Gotta read Blood's a Rover, the last in the Underworld Trilogy.  Need some new shit though.  I read too much fluff.
No Focus Pocus