Main Menu

Advice for Musicians

Started by Danny G, September 06, 2011, 11:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Remove the screw, insert one (or maybe two) wooden matchstick sections into the hole with a little Elmer's wood glue (don't go over the rim with matchsticks, duh. Don't use the match heads, duh.). Re-insert screw. Allow to dry.

You know how your strap has a hole, but also a little slit too? The added washer is to prevent the post (or straplock) from popping through the slit.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Baltar

Hardware stores are great.  I'm sure one could find a washer the size of a coaster, if need be.  The Jim Dunlop locks are pretty good too.  I had them on my Paul for a few days, but the top one kept popping out so I re-installed the Schallers.  That was in '92, I think they've updated the system since.  They do stick out more than the Schallers though.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Instant Dan

I've never liked the Dunlop straplocks because it was a longer screw and therefore would drill more into my guitar. I have the original Schallers on my SG and the cheap 'Schaller' made on my Burny LP, no problems. Although for the next fiddles, I just plan to save myself the time and just use the Grolsch rubber gaskets.

Danny G

Keep an eye on your Schallers (making sure everything tight before a gig) can keep them from flying apart at the most inopportune time, like going into your guitar solo.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

fallen

My advice for young musicians... when you're buying an amp to play in your first band pick the one with the LEAST number of knobs. When I bought my first real amp I ended up with a two channel JCM800 lead when you know there must have been a $500 Super Lead or JMP hanging around the shop back then. More time playing music and less time programming patches or twiddling knobs is the way to go.

VOLVO)))

My night has been ruined by Schaller. I'll fucking kill the person who designed those fucking things. My favorite guitar in the world is now tarnished because one of those worthless fucking things went south on me.

I've been lifting the guitar and dropping it back against my body for fucking five years worth of playing, and I've never dropped a guitar in my ENTIRE life. Most of them have direct bolted straps to avoid this bullshit. Tonight, one of those dumb fucking U strap locks ended up flipped over on the stud and just snapped when the guitar was mid swing and sent the fucker plummeting into the ground. My heart stopped. I just walked away. My setup is trashed, it has that horrible blemish, and now I feel shitty. I'm in the market for a new tele, now. One so I can stop hurting this one. It's my favorite guitar I've ever owned.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

Shit man, sorry to hear that. I understand exactly what you're saying about that U lock and dropping the strap to get it on. That U lock is the weak link IMO as you have to baby it constantly; both making sure that its secured tight to the strap and orientated correctly.

What are you gonna do? go to the washer method?
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

VOLVO)))

Keep that tele at home, and buy a new one to play. I don't want to beat that one up anymore. I almost cried. That's my "Lucille," if you know what I mean, so hurting it is like hurting her. Fuck Schaller.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

I hear ya. I was a fan for a long time but this thread has convinced me not to buy the Schallers or similar again. I've known about the washer trick for years but what about strap tangles?
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

VOLVO)))

Doesn't really happen since they can't flip around...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Metal and Beer

Jesus fucking Christ....hey look on the bright side man, they were only 20 bucks right? Surely you can salvage the shiny chrome nuts?  /sarcasm

Use the fuckin' washer trick bro, fuck all that Crap-Lok garbage
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

VOLVO)))

Yeah. I should call them and tell them to die in a fire. So fucking depressed. My day has been shitty because of this.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Best reason for ugly instruments, you don't feel so bad when you ding 'em. I always seem to be chipping headstocks on ceilings and it's not like I'm that tall.

Just love it more, chips and all dude, it still plays the same.

Lumpy

The straplocks swivel around too easily. Even if you don't drop your guitar, it's at the wrong height, then it drops down to correct position. It's distracting and it can also make you flub your notes. Why would anybody want their strap to swivel around so easily? Look at all the real players who have duct taped their strap, actually taped it onto the guitar body to keep the strap oriented one way. It's a crappily-designed product, probably invented by a guy who didn't play guitar.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Discö Rice

I think this pretty much says it all. Watch all 8. They're short.

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

fallen

I've had washers on all my guitars since the '80s, EXCEPT for my "good" guitar which has strap locks on it so it can slide into it's form fitted case more easily. I think I've just been inspired to go out and buy some proper strap buttons and washers this weekend.

Metal and Beer

Buzz's laugh is so awesome.

I know I was kind of a dick about this washer thing, and I rarely play the age card here but I've been strapping on guitars since 1979 so I've seen enough of these shitty fucking "lock" systems fail. Lumps is right about the angle, too. See how far the strap ends up from the body? The leverage/movement causes too much stress on the hole (that's what she said) so even if the mechanism is tightened enough it still fucks up the hole, especially if the screw is hardened steel vs. questionable wood (that's what she said #2)....the mechanism being tightened enough is also dubious since it's smooth chromium against pliable, moving leather! The fact that this bullshit cost 20 bucks adds urine to the wound.

Large washers, goddamn   ;D

Baltar

Sheesh.  I've never, ever had a problem with them.  Course, I don't jump around much when I play.  I've even shook my guitars violently over my bed, just to test 'em.  Nothing, but hey a washer is what I used before I found out about Schallers.  Washers work better for you, go for it.

Edit: I do use Loc-tite on my Schallers and my George L's.  Never trust threads unless you back it up.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Mr. Foxen

My advice for musicians is take your amp to a tech when it starts being odd, not when it totally stops working. The reason the tech is expensive is because you've fucked it, sorting the issue before it is very bad is much easier that waiting for it to toast enough components the who thing goes down. Also, learn basic maintenance like cleaning sockets yourself, that is where most problems start.

Metal and Beer

. I liked Strap-Locs for several years before they failed; there's no way I put them on "wrong"...
I don't need Loctite for the washers, that stuff's kind of expensive.

Editista: .....and if 20 dollar mechanisms work for you, absolutely use them.

EddieMullet

Realize where you are playing and who you are playing to.  If you're booked at Lou's biker bar during the Thursday night wing special you'd best know some Molly Hatchet or Skynyrd covers.

Realize unless you've actually sold some albums and have people who bought said albums coming to hear you play songs off the album no one really gives a rats ass about your original material especially if you're playing some dump bar.

If you want to play original music don't play gigs in crappy bars.

Too many bad bands playing bad originals is a good part of what ended live music at many places which now opt for DJs or Karaoke.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: EddieMullet on September 29, 2011, 08:45:28 PM
Too many bad bands playing bad originals is a good part of what ended live music at many places which now opt for DJs or Karaoke.
Bollocks, too many bad cover bands have opened the way for DJ's and karaoke, why listen to a second rate rendition of Freebird, when you can sing along to a professional backing track yourself.

EddieMullet

Agreed on the bad cover band point as well.

There was a time you had to be at least decent to get a bar/club gig.

spookstrickland

I've been using eyebolts and quicklinks on my strat for about 10 years now.  It's fucking bullet proof never had a problem.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

jibberish

schaller comment: sop: check that the little U-things are facing upwards AFTER putting on the strap and putting on the guitar which can spin them 180º.   totally NOT how they are made to hold the weight. totally how you release them. so ya, if you space that, expect a release from an upside down one.

don't involve your time and effort and resources for years developing something involviing other musicians, then trip out and dump the whole thing ESPECIALLY scheduled tour dates. not really nice/fair to your bandmates. finish your responsibilities then leave if you have to. (heh, see how i did that?)