Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Started by Beerjerk, September 10, 2011, 05:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beerjerk

Who's picking up this bad boy? This thing should have been called High on Fire: The Videogame.

bitter

I'm thinking about it. Went to gamestop yesterday and traded in 3 old 360 games and homefront [ps3] because they had some 30% trade-in bonus for this falls big releases. Got a $48 credit towards mw3. If I had more games I'd go back and do the same with Skyrim. Probably pick this up later in the year.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

peterlies

Can't wait for this and Dark Souls

Beerjerk

Quote from: peterlies on September 11, 2011, 11:38:35 AM
Can't wait for this and Dark Souls

Dark Souls is another one I'm waiting for. I heard the difficulty goes up to 11 on that one.

bitter

I've never played any of the previous elder scrolls, but a buddy had Morrowind back in '04 or so. How in depth of an RPG are we talking? Can a mild RPG player w/out a lot experience jump into the series this late and still figure shit out? I'm checking everything I can out online but nothings really giving me a newcomers intro into the series and its mechanics.   

Beerjerk

Quote from: bitter end on September 12, 2011, 12:47:11 AM
I've never played any of the previous elder scrolls, but a buddy had Morrowind back in '04 or so. How in depth of an RPG are we talking? Can a mild RPG player w/out a lot experience jump into the series this late and still figure shit out? I'm checking everything I can out online but nothings really giving me a newcomers intro into the series and its mechanics.    

It's pretty deep, but not Dungeons & Dragons deep. You have alot of areas you can develop, but most of it is done through using the abilities (ex. the more you use a sword, the more proficient you get, the more spells you use the more powerful they become), so most of the levelling up just "happens", and you only invest experience points into 7 or so categories which are easy to figure out. I was an old school RPG player (mostly Super Nintendo RPG's), and I figured it out pretty quick. TONS of dungeons and side quests, so you always have something to do, instead of fighting enemies over and over to gain experience. If you've played Fallout you will feel right at home with this. The map is HUGE, I'm talking San Andreas and a half.

bitter

I thought I heard it was only 16 square miles? I feel like GTA:SA was larger than that. Could have been a different game tho...

Beerjerk

Quote from: bitter end on September 12, 2011, 01:10:38 PM
I thought I heard it was only 16 square miles? I feel like GTA:SA was larger than that. Could have been a different game tho...

San Andreas was 13 square miles, Skyrim's (and Oblivion's) map is 16 square miles (I admit, the "and a half" part was inaccurate). Skyrim and Oblivion's maps felt larger due to the lack of cars and fast vehicles, and the abundance of mountain ranges you had to climb in order to get to the other side.

bitter

Well that works for me. Been watching a GTA lets play on youtube as of late and I thought SA was a lot larger. That's plenty big for me. Do you think they'll add the ability to have dragons as mounts down the road? One interviewer asked the question but the Dev's didn't say whether or not they would.

Beerjerk

Quote from: bitter end on September 12, 2011, 04:53:36 PM
Well that works for me. Been watching a GTA lets play on youtube as of late and I thought SA was a lot larger. That's plenty big for me. Do you think they'll add the ability to have dragons as mounts down the road? One interviewer asked the question but the Dev's didn't say whether or not they would.

I don't think you'll be able to ride dragons, BUT if he hasn't denied nor confirmed it then it may mean they'll add dragon mounts in some downloadable content or extras. I remember Oblivion having tons of downloadable content, from extra dungeons to additional safehouses, and even armor for your horse, so I wouldn't doubt they'll make you pay for dragon rides.

You know I'll be pumping Dragonaut while riding one of those motherfuckers.

peterlies

Plus, if you get the PC version, there will be a huge modding community

Here's some new video

http://pc.ign.com/articles/119/1193712p1.html

bitter

peterlies

Beerjerk

Skyrim is one hell of a drug.

My set-up: Nord, level 5, two-handed weapons, lockpick, blacksmith, using fur armor and a war hammer.

juggernaut

Quote from: Beerjerk on November 12, 2011, 01:31:20 PM
Skyrim is one hell of a drug.

My set-up: Nord, level 5, two-handed weapons, lockpick, blacksmith, using fur armor and a war hammer.

It's fucking ridiculous.  I'm embarrassed by the amount of time i've played this game already. 

I'm rocking a level 13 Dark Elf, strong with two handed weapons, proficient in magic, sword\shield combo, bow.  High sneak, lockpicking, alchemy, smithing, and speech.

Right now I'm using a lot of hybrid armor, mostly elven and steel. 

diasdegalvan

Got the game today pretty excited even though I''ve never played any of the previous Elder Scrolls.

Just created my character Nord named Vainamoinen after central character in Finnish Kalevala.

kyussapple

Been playing mine for a few hours now, and I am blown away.
My character is a level 2 Nord by the name of samuel bongloader, who also happens to be the direct descendant of Karl bongloader my character from oblivion ;)

Damocles74

Think I'm gonna pick up Skyrim this weekend ;D I loved Oblivion but...these games are VERY difficult for me. It's just too much to remember, too much to do  :-\
Redditor Lucis Aeternae

bitter

Hey guys, how are the font sizes and and overall legibility in the game when it comes to reading text??? I need a new tv but don't have plans to upgrade as of yet. I had a hard time reading dialog trees and other text on my old 27" when playing mass effect 2. Now that my screen is sub 20", I'm wondering if I should hold off buying Skyrim for a bit   :-\ :'(

Beerjerk

Quote from: bitter on December 09, 2011, 11:03:38 PM
Hey guys, how are the font sizes and and overall legibility in the game when it comes to reading text??? I need a new tv but don't have plans to upgrade as of yet. I had a hard time reading dialog trees and other text on my old 27" when playing mass effect 2. Now that my screen is sub 20", I'm wondering if I should hold off buying Skyrim for a bit   :-\ :'(

The fonts are quite small, I have a large screen but sit far away from it when playing, so I have a hard time reading objectives, dialogue, etc. I just listen to the characters and remember the mission and use the Clairvoyance spell to guide me where I need to go.

bitter

Hmm, ok then. May need to get a new tv   :D

peoplething

I don't play video games, but I do roll the d20, and can completely identify with this. Thought you guys would get a chuckle:

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

grimniggzy

I'm contemplating getting this game. Never played one before and I'm not a big RPG'er.
I need a new game that I can sink a bunch of hours into since I NEVER play anything anymore.
Do you guys think this game would be enjoyable for someone who has become a more casual gamer over time?

Demon Lung

I have a level 26 Redguard. My guys slays with one handed weapons. A master lock picker and a master blacksmith. Right now I'm wearing an epic ostrich complete set. My sword is the sky forge sword that Ou get I the game with 20% stamina damage. It is an epic weapon as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demon Lung

My characters name is mutt btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk