Main Menu

Quitting Etiquette

Started by Hemisaurus, September 14, 2011, 10:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

Seeing as we're doing advice columns, this seems like a pretty important one ;D

Do tell the other band members you quit, either to their face, or in email, or text, or letter
Don't quit a band if they've got a bunch of shows lined up
Don't do the cancel each practice as it comes up with lamer and lamer excuses approach
Don't do the if I ignore them, don't answer the phone, email, door they'll go away approach

I've left a few bands, but I've always had the decency to tell them I'm leaving, and I've always waited until after we've completed any shows that were lined up. Unfortunately I have been in bands that have experienced all of the above Don'ts :(

Chovie D

Dont just be a dick and hope they'll kick you out like I usually do.
Dont ever ever loan anyone in the band anything, no cd's, dvds,'equipment, books, NOTHING.
Dont have a band fund where all the money from your past two years of gigs sits under one persons control, unless that one person is YOU..then by all means hold their cash for that recording that will never happen and keep all the money when the band splits up...that seems to be the norm and acceptable it appears.
Dont think about them, visit their website, read their facebook postings...just wash your hands and walk away for good.
Dont take it personally even if it is personal
Do try and take a break from being in a band for a few months, think about what went wrong and how you can avoid making the same mistakes again in the future...but dont think about it TOOO much.
Dont take advice from strangers on the internet

Harm

Don't leave without a clear reason.
More faithfulfew right here.

Ayek

The best quit I've ever seen was when some dude announced his departure from a band on an internet forum and adding something like "I haven't told the rest of the band yet, so I guess they'll find out when they read this, too"

Chovie D

Dont become a pontificating self important zen douchebag then have a public meltdown on an internet message board where your 12 'fans' hang out.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Ayek on September 14, 2011, 02:51:53 PM
The best quit I've ever seen was when some dude announced his departure from a band on an internet forum and adding something like "I haven't told the rest of the band yet, so I guess they'll find out when they read this, too"
Hey at least they knew. One drummer in a band I was in strung us along for 3 months, 'til we gave it up.

justinhedrick

wait, who's your drummer now??!  ;D

Hemisaurus

No, this was in a band years and years ago, we did reggae tunes, not that I still don't enjoy dub, I like fucking Gzus up with reggae basslines  ;)

Metal and Beer

Quote from: Chovie D on September 14, 2011, 02:54:18 PM
Dont become a pontificating self important zen douchebag then have a public meltdown on an internet message board where your 12 'fans' hang out.

;D
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Discö Rice

Quote from: Metal and Beer on September 14, 2011, 05:20:12 PM

;D
I won't, and I will, and if you do not understand, I cannot help you.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Chovie D

Quote from: Discö Rice on September 14, 2011, 05:41:19 PM

;D

I am at peace with that..... and yet am not at peace with that. :-*

Discö Rice

Quote from: Chovie D on September 14, 2011, 05:47:07 PM

;D

Then my job is done, yet it is left undone.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Chovie D

Quote from: Discö Rice on September 14, 2011, 05:58:23 PM
Quote from: Chovie D on September 14, 2011, 05:47:07 PM

;D

Then my job is done, yet it is left undone.

Despite quoting you...i hvae you blocked Disco Rice. I have everyone on this message board blocked. Its just me an Paul here now. So I really cant read what you just wrote and am laughing at your foolishness for replying to me. However you may walk withme thru the sands of time if you wish, because ...yadda yadda yadda purple monkey dishwasher. I love you all.

RacerX

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Fail. dinger was meticulous about his spelling and punctuation.

Your usual chovied-stylee typing is a poor imitation.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

Quote from: RacerX on September 14, 2011, 06:30:10 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Fail. dinger was meticulous about his spelling and punctuation.

Your usual chovied-stylee typing is a poor imitation.

i have you blocked RacerX so i cannot see what you said, however what may appear to you to be spellng and typing errors are actually my new zen sanskrit dialect. I know you can understand this becasue you are a teacher..walk with me.

RacerX

Better, Grasshopper. You missed capitalizing the first "I," but perhaps that is very Zen.

Then again, perhaps not. Such is the way of things.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

I mispelled "because" too..it was a test...to see who is the greater fool..but its juts me and paul here now laughing and playing in my creek.
el danno tried to warn you but you wouldnt hear him.
I love you anyways

RacerX

As the Brown Pyramid was built from sticks and feces (with corn added for texture), so is your love, Chovie D.

If you cannot see that, I cannot help you, but there is no way you cannot smell its pungent aroma as your fart bubbles rise in the creek waters around you.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

Quote from: RacerX on September 14, 2011, 07:42:58 PM
As the Brown Pyramid was built from sticks and feces (with corn added for texture), so is your love, Chovie D.

If you cannot see that, I cannot help you, but there is no way you cannot smell its pungent aroma as your fart bubbles rise in the creek waters around you.

You remain blocked my friend so I cannot see what you posted , however, I do sense the armoma of which my spidey-zen senses tell me your blocked post speaks of. Perhaps it eminates from one of my many animals we have here in  this big house with many rooms by the creek in which I play..or perhaps from the difficult brown pyramid itself..i have built many such pyramids since i began my journey.
This will be my final interview. Love Superhippie

bitter

Quote from: Chovie D on September 14, 2011, 08:19:50 PM

..or perhaps from the difficult brown pyramid itself..

The ANALITH???
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

lordfinesse

Jebus I haven't laughed like that in a while. Thank you guys for that. Spot on, gentlemen.
Billy Squier 24/7

juan11

As usual, I love the Jam Room.
srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best

VOLVO)))

Quote from: lordfinesse on September 15, 2011, 12:42:54 AM
Jebus I haven't laughed like that in a while. Thank you guys for that. Spot on, gentlemen.

No time for laughing, get on that new album, goddamn it. Where's Pissy? I need to reprimand him, too!  ;D ;D ;D
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: juan11 on September 15, 2011, 12:49:34 AM
As usual, I love the Jam Room.

Jam Room loves you back. Fuckin' christ I was worried about you, as gay as that sounds. I thought we were going to have a second missing friend situation, Shaft's shitty jokes didn't help, either.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

heh.  people ARE a trip aren't they? i think anyone who is going to court needs quickie zen lessons. gl getting a straight answer out of them.

the only sad thing was that there was probably a lot more good music to that band. BTW, those two othr guys are kick ass.  i bet they resurface again quickly in another band.

....there is a song breweing from all this...still proto stardust..but it is gellin like a fel..oh no i di'nt