What do you want in a dirt pedal?

Started by Hemisaurus, September 14, 2011, 10:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

So it seems like everyone wants something from their dirt pedal, I'm using the term advisedly to avoid the whole is it a Fuzz, Overdrive or Distortion debate.

Vote in as many options as you'd like to see, I'm curious what people feel is important in their pedal, and I left out the word tone, as that is assumed to be why you bought the pedal, and pretty subjective anyways ;)

Hemisaurus

You know looking at this, it's like one of those damn facebook quizzes, where at the end of it all, it tells you your Yoda.

Wonder if we could do that, based on your selections, tell you what pedal you should look at :-\

grimniggzy

Went with:
Output Level Knob
Tone Knob
On LED
Power Jack
Low Pass Filter
Under $50

I could be happy with that I think.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: grimniggzy on September 14, 2011, 10:26:58 AM
Went with:
Output Level Knob
Tone Knob
On LED
Power Jack
Low Pass Filter
Under $50

I could be happy with that I think.
This has all of the above, except I don't know the price :(

grimniggzy

grimniggzy

thanks, maybe when I have money I'll see whats up with that.

justinhedrick

any more, i think i want the following:

2 drive knobs, graphic eq, level knob and 2 footswitches and 1 toggle switch. 1 on/off, the other to either toggle/stack the 2 drives, as pre-determined by the toggle switch. 

Hemisaurus

Now that I think about it a tone knob and a LPF are the same thing, how about a tone knob with a switchable range, from subtle to nothing but rumble?

Corey Y

Input Gain
Output Level
Tone Knob
On LED
Power Jack (Boss style preferably)
Blend Knob

That's what I'd look for in a dirt pedal for bass. I used to want a lot of bells and whistles, like 3 band EQ, but now I find I'd rather just have a pedal I like the sound of with a few features and adjust my amp settings around it to get the best tone. If I used a lot of different pedals for different songs I'd probably like it the other way around.

bitter

Input gain (distortion / OD / Fuzz level) knob
Output level knob
Baxandall (Treble / Bass) EQ: Simple, powerful
On LED
Power Jack
Be based on a classic design
Be over $100: Somewhere down the line I became snobby.

I like pedals to be capable of producing at least 2 solid tones/settings. Generally I want something that can boost amps/pedals when the gain is lowered yet has enough juice to be a stand alone dirt box. Lately, I've been toying with the idea of multiple boxes in a single enclosure. Something that'll give me a few different flavors in one box. 

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan