Fav Thin Lizzy albums...

Started by MR. CREEPER, December 23, 2010, 07:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR. CREEPER

The Liizy thread in the Gen discussions got me re-listening to my collection. I ask you all, Which is your fav's? I love them all, but China town thru Thunder and Lightning are superior to most.

GodShifter

Johnny The Fox
Jailbreak
Bad Reputation

sleestak

Johnny the Fox.  Bad Reputation second.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

EddieMullet

Whichever one I'm currently listening to, they never really made a bad one.

Even some of Phil's dodgier solo stuff kind of grows on you too, even those last few he did with Huey Lewis & The News.

GodShifter

I kind of disagree. I don't find Chinatown or Renegade to be especially good. Their 2nd with Eric Bell is fairly lackluster, too.

EddieMullet

And I kind of agree with that too, but even their lackluster albums still don't totally suck.  I can still listen to them.

Look at some of the real stinkers some of my other favorite bands barfed out Rush(Hold Your Fire), Kiss(Unmasked), UFO(Misdemeanor), Black Sabbath (Forbidden) and Uriah Heep (Conquest) and Lizzy never sunk that low.

GodShifter

Yeah, I see your point.

Yet, outside of Conquest, I appreciate/like all those albums you mentioned. But, at the same time, it kind of makes your point that even what the majority of people deem to be "lackluster" can be good in an another individual's eyes.

Harry Manback

Bad Reputation
Black Rose
Jailbreak
Chinatown
Fighting
Thunder & Lightning
Night Life

MR. CREEPER

Yeah, I agrree. really no bad choices. From a musical stand point I really get a fuller appreciation for hte Guitar power they possessed on the later few, due to better recording epuipt. But the original stuff still makes me fell real groovy, and want to rock the fuck out!

lordfinesse

1. Fighting
2. Live and Dangerous (just barely edges out Band of Gypsys as my favorite live album by anyone ever)
3. Black Rose
4. Bad Reputation
5. Johnny the Fox
6. Jailbreak
7. Thin Lizzy
8. Vagabonds of the Western World (been listening to this one lately)
9. Night Life
10. Thunder and Lightning (only for The Sun Goes Down)

I'm about to get into Shades of a Blue Orphanage.

Damn I love Thin Lizzy.
Billy Squier 24/7

grimniggzy

Live & Dangerous
Chinatown
Black Rose
Bad Reputation
Johnny the Fox
Jailbreak
Fighting

In no particular order, all these are great.
I didn't include any other Live records b/c none top L&D but really, they're still worth checking out too.

Woody

After Live & Dangerous, probably Bad Reputation and Fighting, followed closely by Jailbreak and Johnny The Fox. I also love that UK 1975 Tour tape that came out a few years ago.

You could make a great tape with all the good songs from Renegade, Chinatown and Thunder & Lightning. One of these days I need to get all the Eric Bell era stuff, I don't know those ones at all.

GodShifter

The Eric Bell stuff, imo, to check out are the first and third records. The 2nd is fairly lackluster and seemed to almost take a step backward in terms of progression from the first which is kind of weird.

L. Ron

I love the first s/t, "Ray Gun"(written by Eric Bell)is one of my favorite Thin Lizzy songs.  Lately, been listening to Bad Reputation.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.

goldwater

of the eric bell era "vagabonds" is the winner to me. from the robertson albums i would say "johney the fox". of everything after robertson left i go with "thunder and lightning".
we all lost in 64

Eyehatehippies

I'm a Bad Reputation kind of guy myself.

I was here, but I disappare.