bass fuzz/dist questions / help

Started by apekillman, September 18, 2011, 08:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apekillman

so we finally tried out a bass player today.  she was cool and wants do to it.  we are playing in the vein of nails, dystopia, his hero is gone, trap them, rotten sound, et al. 

the question is, what's a good distortion pedal for bass?  i want it to sound fucking retarded sick.  just balls out like the speakers are ready to blow.

we are using a fender jazz into a sunn beta bass in to a emperor 1x18 and sunn 2x15.  i tried a meathead deluxe, meathead (standard), rat, big box eh nyc big muff and a little big muff.  didn't really like anything.  maybe it was because of trying to push the solid state sunn?

any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Hemisaurus

I found the Behringer SF300 (clone of FZ2) sounds good, with a solid state.

There's also the homemade Bazz Fuss http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html which sounds awesome.

I'm currently using a homemade fuzz, that is a gained up, bassed up Meathead more or less.

What kind of bass sound are you going for, low end rumble or more cutting?

Hemisaurus

Oh yeah, check out the video on http://bassfuzz.com has video reviews of a bunch of pedals, use headphones, or a decent speaker system on yiur computer when watching them though ;D

Hemisaurus

Check with Sunn (the chap here, not the company) but that doesn't sound like enough head to power two cabs, it's 100W into 4 ohm, and a 2x15 itself is probably 4 ohm, add in the 18 you might be overloading the amp, and underpowering the cabs?

mortlock

you need a usa built dod death metal pedal..

the zvex woolly mamoth rules too..

dont count out a fuzzface either..

Metal and Beer

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 18, 2011, 08:32:05 PM
Check with Sunn (the chap here, not the company) but that doesn't sound like enough head to power two cabs, it's 100W into 4 ohm, and a 2x15 itself is probably 4 ohm, add in the 18 you might be overloading the amp, and underpowering the cabs?

^ I had the same thought ^    I don't think a 100W amp w/ those speaks is gonna get you the mean burly sound you want (you might achieve the grindy buzzsaw tone but not sufficient beef?)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Hemisaurus

Power amps are amazingly cheap, beta's have a slave out, $200 could get you 700-900W ;)

Lumpy

You have to start with good sound to begin with. Pedals won't turn a hot dog into a delicious steak. I agree with everybody... look at your amp and cabs first.

Personally, IMHO, you are already on the wrong track with your cabs, but that's just my opinion.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

Nope 18 and 2x15 is what I use for practice, but I go with 500W not 100W and 2 ohm capability.

Lumpy

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 18, 2011, 09:50:16 PM
Nope 18 and 2x15 is what I use for practice, but I go with 500W not 100W and 2 ohm capability.

Everybody likes different stuff. You like the Peavey 1820 cab (1x18, 2x10). I thought that cab sounded like total poop.

I'm trying to imagine how somebody can make their 18" cab sound like it's about to blow up (original question). First, I would go with 10 inch speakers, instead.

Also, according to speaker nerds at Talk Bass, mixing speaker sizes (mish mosh of cabinets) is not optimal. I'm trying to think of a bass player who sounds great, who has a mixed bag of speaker sizes and manufacturers. Is there anybody?

apekillman

hemi, just as i was ready your post about under powering the cabs, i was thinking that very same thing.

i do have a concert slave as well.  i will put that on the 1x18 and run the 2x15 with the beta bass alone. 

that should be at least a little better, i would think.

not quite sure what bass tone we are looking for.  definitely want it to cut through the mix.  maybe like a weedeater but a bit tighter, if that makes sense.  we're not doing bluesy stonery type stuff.  but i like that bass tone.  just super distorted  thick.  but crisp and cutting.

Hemisaurus

Well Dixie uses 2 Concerts and 2 Mesa 2x15's I think. You might want to try it both ways, try the slave on the 2x15 as well.

Lumpy, the 1820 is great, for guitar.

10's don't take much punishment, unless you get a lot of them, and are too hi-middy and squeaky for me. 15's are more balanced, for what I like.

Lumpy

Squeeky?  :D

Quotecrisp and cutting.

Sounds like 10's to me.

Lumpy

You could try emphasizing the Mids on your amp, as well (EQ). Roll back the Bass some. To be honest, I don't even know if those amps have an EQ section. I guess they do.

If you don't know how to get the sound you want, it's not a bad idea to emulate the people who are getting the sound you want. I've got a feeling they aren't using your current cab combination.

Hemisaurus

;)

Dixie rolls all the treble off his, put it about midway, probably cut just fine.

Lumpy

Ah, good old EQ. All the modern conveniences.

VOLVO)))

The Beta-anything is more than loud enough to do whatever you want.. It gets sufficiently nasty. You mentioned Nails, And Rotten Sound. BOSS HM-2 all dimed out is exactly that tone... cant believe none of you mentioned that shit. Am I the resident grind/death/black metal guy? Goddamn it.

If your beta isnt beefy enough, it has an issue, just sayin'.

sent from Mortlock's mom's laptop...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Two amps AREN'T better than one :o

I think with Meathead, whichever one is the bassiest, if you roll off the volume on the instrument a little it may sound more pleasing, jumping back in the thread a little.

Danny G

I use a Fulltone Bassdrive for boost/some dirt. Used to use a Big Muff Pi clone I tweaked for bass, but cuts too much highs tho tone knob all the way back sounds killer.

Easy to build, cheap to buy. Black Russian Big Muff, tho the cases get weaker and weaker th newer thee model.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Derelict78

Dwarfcraft Eau Clair Thunder or Hair of the dog

Ayek

For what it's worth, George Rice used a 4x15" and a 1x18" when he was in High on Fire. Can't think of anyone else who paired 18s and 15s, seems more common to mix either with 10s

edit: I also endorse the Bazz Fuss. I've made two, the last one I included a blend circuit. Works good.

Lumpy

Quote from: Ayek on September 19, 2011, 01:31:55 AM
For what it's worth, George Rice used a 4x15" and a 1x18" when he was in High on Fire. Can't think of anyone else who paired 18s and 15s, seems more common to mix either with 10s

With all due respect, George Rice in High on Fire did not have a good sound. Flabby, indistinct, muddy. Think of the worst "arena size" rock concert bass sound (boomy, bouncing around in the rafters) except it's in a medium sized club. Maybe it wasn't because of his speaker cabs, though, who knows what went wrong there.