SunnO))) talk me out of getting this guitar!

Started by The Shocker, September 21, 2011, 11:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Mtn

Teisco's have a cool mojo to them. A friend of mine played one and it sounded strangely sweet.
Cool Axe!!!!

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 21, 2011, 12:20:31 PM
These are hardcore to work on... just sayin'.

What are the usual issues with them? 

VOLVO)))

Impossible to find hardware. That's really all. Im sure I could make it play fine, and sound decent, barring any huge issues.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Good to know, thanks.

BTW, I'm sanding the paint off that Yamaha.  What a bitch.  They really coated the body - much thicker finish than the neck,

VOLVO)))

Wait until you get it to bare, and see all the filler... those things were paint grade for a reason a lot of the time...

You goin' for the Tiesco?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 21, 2011, 01:51:30 PM
Wait until you get it to bare, and see all the filler... those things were paint grade for a reason a lot of the time...

You goin' for the Tiesco?

The wood is OK, not as bad as I was expecting.  I'm plannning on staining it with ebony stain, so it should look ok.  We'll see.

Probably not, but I want to.  I need an amp more.  Will see how the price goes.  Wonder how those pickups sound & I love that Mosrite body shape.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

I've got a Blackheart Little Giant half stack, but it's not really doing it for me.

Hemisaurus

Both my guitars are kind of like that, and you can still get harware for them. One had some ferrules missing, and they were easy to replace, you can still get six a side tuners on one plate if you need to, one had a tailpiece but no bridge, but a generic bridge from Allparts took care of that. They're fun guitars, the only thing you can't get identical parts for is the knobs, if there's knobs missing you end up with a plain old set of whatever you can find.

PS, I paid $50 for the 2 guitars, one the premise that one could be robbed to get the other working, but I ended up fixing up them both, though probably not to Sunn standards  ;)

The Shocker

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 21, 2011, 03:00:19 PM
Both my guitars are kind of like that, and you can still get harware for them. One had some ferrules missing, and they were easy to replace, you can still get six a side tuners on one plate if you need to, one had a tailpiece but no bridge, but a generic bridge from Allparts took care of that. They're fun guitars, the only thing you can't get identical parts for is the knobs, if there's knobs missing you end up with a plain old set of whatever you can find.

PS, I paid $50 for the 2 guitars, one the premise that one could be robbed to get the other working, but I ended up fixing up them both, though probably not to Sunn standards  ;)

Do yours have similar pickups?

VOLVO)))

If he wanted it pretty much original, he'd be shit out of luck... some people are iffy about that. I always do what's best for the instrument. some guitars are made to be closet queens. None of mine are, but some. That being said, my most expensive guitar was 300 dollars.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

I don't think gold foil can be called limited, lots of guitars of that era have it over the pickups, I have a bass with it too, and another that uses red sparkly foil instead of gold.

Should've probably blown the dust off them first ;D

I want to say the pickups are DeArmond, I don't think that it's right, but I know it was some company I'd heard of, and I could look it up on the net and find similar guitars.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 21, 2011, 03:04:32 PM
If he wanted it pretty much original, he'd be shit out of luck... some people are iffy about that. I always do what's best for the instrument. some guitars are made to be closet queens. None of mine are, but some. That being said, my most expensive guitar was 300 dollars.
Original what? You change anything on any guitar it's no longer original. It can still look original. That guitar in the pic no longer has the original toggle switch it came with, it has an original Gibson part in there instead, so is it now less original, or more original? Switch looks the same, was even constructed in the same fashion.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Nah I'm not one of those all original dudes, really depends on what's not.  Like on a Mustang I wouldn't want a humbucker put in it, but a different single coil would be fine.

I'd actually love to get a 69 Charger with a hemi (could be a crate one too), but new suspension, disc brakes, etc.  Same with guitars if you know what I mean.

More I'm curious about how those old Teisco pickups sound.  Gold foil or not.

Hemisaurus

Remember I don't play guitar, I recorded this on the iPad and I also did a bit through my meathead clone that sounded pretty gnarly, but overloaded the mic, so I chopped that bit off. All you've got here is some strums through the clean channel of a Crate Stealth into a 15". Oh, and the guitar was last tuned in 2009 I think, and played with fingers.

http://dub.greboguru.org/pickups.mp3

The Shocker

Hey, that sounds like my playing!  Interesting sound with those pickups.

VOLVO)))

I'm a guitar player, does that excuse me from lackluster bass playing? If that's the case, I'm joining a band.  ;D ;D ;D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

i've seen your bass rig lackluster doesn't begin to cover it ;D

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 21, 2011, 06:38:26 PM
i've seen your bass rig lackluster doesn't begin to cover it ;D

Hey, fuck you! I'm getting a 370 tonight, in my never-ending search for quality bass equipment.

that Peavey 8x10 is made from real plywood, too. So. blow me.  ;D

Don't let my awesomeness ruffle your kilt.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Your quest for amps is misguided grasshopper, improving your cabs is what you should seek. ;)