Main Menu

D*A*M Grease Box only $1450!

Started by Baltar, September 23, 2011, 03:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Discö Rice

Holy balls. I wonder if anyone will pay it.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

MadJohnShaft

It is one of Dave's newest concoctions.

So any huw. The Grease Box. It is at heart, a MKIII/MKIV Tone Bender. Its bare bones and the circuit blue print are very Tone Bendery. The idea here was very simple indeed. What if Colorsound still made the Tone Bender MKIV in 1981. What would that sound like?

Okay so, gibberish aside. The Grease Box is a fuzz box that thinks it's an overdrive. It has a lot of midrange cut and a good amount of clarity. It is responsive to pick attack so comes over as quite dynamic for a fuzz box. You're not gonna get the transparency of a TS-808 or other such things; it is a fuzz box at heart. Remember that. It's kinda like a Distortion + and extra gooey Tone Bender MKIV meeting somewhere in the middle. The 'Level' control has a linear taper so retains a good dose of the highs as it's rolled off. The 'Overdrive' control will darken the tone somewhat as it's rolled back. The nature of how both of these controls react will give you a lot more scope than you'd think from a two knob fuzz box. It's Greasy, ay.

First 11 have been distributed via V&R through a raffle drawing.

Isn't there a forum for this?
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Baltar

Holy shit, long day sorry folks, worked 10.  Yep wrong forum.  Sheesh.

Jor el

MJS is taking up where Dchamp left off.
What Would Scooby Do ?

Metal and Beer

"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

RacerX

Whew! For a moment there, I thought Shaft had invaded the Jam Room...
Livin' The Life.

Baltar

Thanks, better start drinking heavily so I can remember which room I'm in.  This has got to be the highest price on a D*A*M pedal, period.  

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Baltar

I second that, my MKII was $130 US.

Hemisaurus

I read that the DAM guy built some extra's of his limited editions, and sold them himself on eBay for 800 quid a pop (about $1200), and people objected to the builder making profit, but it's OK if someone else buys it, and then flogs it for that price, the world is weird. ;D

There's always some fancypant's boutique tweaker ready to pay a ridiculous price for something. Might not sell this time, but if he keeps at it, it'll go.

Lumpy

The Brits know how to market and sell fetish gear.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

to the yanks! ;D who will swallow anything.

NoSleepTilSleep

If you ever go to the D*A*M forum you'll know this isn't too out of the ordinary, I'm loathe to remember what one of his "Flesh-Head" fuzzes went for on eBay. David makes beautiful and awesome sounding stuff but it's nigh impossible to afford, at least on the secondary market.. direct it's not bad for the regular line stuff.

Volume

I have three D*A*M pedals, a Meathead,  a Deluxe MH and Red Rooster, they were all 100-150€ used (for reference an OCD or vexter Box of Rock go for around 140€ here). So they can be found for reasonable prices, it's the special limited edition stuff that people ask ridiculous amounts for.

NoSleepTilSleep

Quote from: Volume on September 25, 2011, 05:27:34 AM
I have three D*A*M pedals, a Meathead,  a Deluxe MH and Red Rooster, they were all 100-150€ used (for reference an OCD or vexter Box of Rock go for around 140€ here). So they can be found for reasonable prices, it's the special limited edition stuff that people ask ridiculous amounts for.

That's what I meant, the normal line stuff isn't bad price-wise. Although, I've started noticing that Rooster's are going for $350-400 now.

clockwork green

How did this become a beat up America thread when Europeans are spending 4-grand for Mesa/Boogies? Either way it sucks that the blues lawyers of the world have ruined the market for his pedals which used to cater to scenes like this.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

VOLVO)))

Poor Euro bastards are slinging that kind of cash to have mediocre tone? Heartbreaking.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MichaelZodiac

Yeah it's dreadful over here. Based on my guesstimates I'm still better off buying a new amp than buying an used amp from the States. That new Traynor YBA300 goes over 800 euros at Thomann.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: clockwork green on September 25, 2011, 10:48:10 PM
How did this become a beat up America thread when Europeans are spending 4-grand for Mesa/Boogies? Either way it sucks that the blues lawyers of the world have ruined the market for his pedals which used to cater to scenes like this.
Lumpy started it ;D

MichaelZodiac

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 26, 2011, 01:08:21 PM
Fame? Yerasov?
They don't really have a bass tube head. They're good for guitar though. And even the 100W Bulldozer by Fame/Yerasov is a 1000 euros... So that Traynor would still be the better choice, people at TalkBass seem to like him.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Hemisaurus

12 6L6's will make for painful on the wallet retubes, I bought a YBA-200 when they came out, and it was buggered on delivery so I returned it, the replacement was underwhelming, and I returned it as well.

For Europe, what about the new BVV300, the Behringer Ampeg clone? They've already done a good job with the 1960/1990 and the 333 a few quick fixes gives you a fairly robust amp. The Ampeg design was awful to start with, could be Behringer have simplified it? I look forward to getting one on the bench.

Glitchyghost

I'm a fan of David Main's work, aesthetically.  But sticking with the vero/strip board construction for a commercial product has always struck me a little odd.  It's seems like more of a collector type thing, like people who are into restoring old cars.    I personally would never tour with something like that, just like I would never use a '69 GTO as my commuter vehicle.    Even point-to-point would be better for daily use than strip board.   And then charging that kind of dough from something so flimsy.  Not for me, no thanks.    And the Grease Box is just another Tone Bender variant.  The dude had a completely unique circuit with that awesome Ezekial pedal, yet he discontinued it.  I don't get it.

moose23

Quote from: koi on September 27, 2011, 03:19:31 PM
I'm a fan of David Main's work, aesthetically.  But sticking with the vero/strip board construction for a commercial product has always struck me a little odd.  It's seems like more of a collector type thing, like people who are into restoring old cars.    I personally would never tour with something like that, just like I would never use a '69 GTO as my commuter vehicle.    Even point-to-point would be better for daily use than strip board.   And then charging that kind of dough from something so flimsy.  Not for me, no thanks.    And the Grease Box is just another Tone Bender variant.  The dude had a completely unique circuit with that awesome Ezekial pedal, yet he discontinued it.  I don't get it.

I agree on the most part but what's wrong with using vero? Personally I'd trust vero over point to point.