Main Menu

D*A*M Grease Box only $1450!

Started by Baltar, September 23, 2011, 03:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitchyghost

Quote from: moose23 on September 27, 2011, 03:45:05 PM
I agree on the most part but what's wrong with using vero? Personally I'd trust vero over point to point.

Really?  What about amps P2P amps, you don't trust them?  I've seen the copper strips on vero come loose from the board, easily.  It also looks like the majority of DAMs boards (other than the bracket mounted Bender builds) are mounted using 3M tape, or something similar.  I've seen pictures of people's boards that have come loose.  I would never tour with something like that.    In my opinion, point to point  is probably one of the more durable construction methods.  Although not very practical for pedals.   I could throw a p2p pedal of a building and probably still use it right after.    I've just never seen those strip boards hold up over the years, at least when being used by people who actually play, and move their stuff around, nearly every single night.

moose23

I didn't say I didn't trust ptp just that in a pedal I'd have more trust in vero. I was also thinking like you'd find in an old EHX Screaming bird where the components are literally just soldered together point to point with nothing like terminal board holding them together like you get in a ptp wired amp. Imagine an amp where all the components are just hanging loose inside the chassis, I wouldn't trust that at all. Never seen any problems with vero myself but I'll take your experience on board. Anyways, I was really just curious to hear what problems you'd encountered with vero.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5157/5872026299_08188b9882.jpg

Glitchyghost

Ah, I get what you mean. Dead bug is pretty much what that EHX is.  But  I'd still take that over vero :)  Either way, I guess it all comes down to the build quality in the end, right?  The copper strip separation is what my beef with Vero is, but I think I said that already.    Personally, my pedals probably take the most beating out of anything. Getting thrown around, dropped, kicked, drop-kicked, insulted in every which way.

Hemisaurus

Never had vero split on me, in 20 years, I've got circuits lying about that I've had since I was a teenager.

As to the 3M tape, that stuff is used commercially for all kinds of things, HP used it to hold the storage pouch on their gear on, you can pack those things with a couple of reference manuals, and throw them in the back of a car, then drive them to a vibration chamber (used to be one of my jobs), they stay on ;D

Have you actually had vero split on you? Did the board get wet and warp, or did the copper separate at the edges, or was it a large component pushing the track up?

I agree scramble wiring is ugly, had a Gibson Maestro Fuzz to repair once, all that had happened was all the components had been twisted together and were shorting.

welshchris

I'll say upfront over the years and David has been a super chap and great help to my band Slomatics.

It always amazes me the prices some of these rarer pedals go for on ebay. It strikes me as a shame none of this cash makes it's way back to the builder who would have sold the unit originally at much lower price.

Anyway as I say I've been a long time D*A*M fan/user (2004) and in that time probably played nearly all D*AM pedals loads of custom and standard pedal variations. Have to say my favourite pedals are two current production D*A*Ms that aren't that hard to get hold of, and def won't break the bank. The Meathead M25 and the Super Bee.

If you're happy to go on a wait list, or check the D*A*M forum buy sell  section (things come up often) owning some fantastic fuzz isn't hard at all in fact.. Obviously the custom stuff goes for a bit more.

As for velcro, have to say I've been gigging the pedals for years and bar wearing out a few old pedal footswitches have never had any issues.

If you can't be bothered with the wait lists,  or a little hunting there are also plenty of other fantastic builders out there.

At the moment I'd say go buy something from Ken @ OxFuzz, Brad @ Creepy Fingers or Ian @ Ghost Fx (UK). All super builders
No I Can't Turn Down..

core9

Quote from: welshchris on September 28, 2011, 11:24:55 AM
I'll say upfront over the years and David has been a super chap and great help to my band Slomatics.

It always amazes me the prices some of these rarer pedals go for on ebay. It strikes me as a shame none of this cash makes it's way back to the builder who would have sold the unit originally at much lower price.

Anyway as I say I've been a long time D*A*M fan/user (2004) and in that time probably played nearly all D*AM pedals loads of custom and standard pedal variations. Have to say my favourite pedals are two current production D*A*Ms that aren't that hard to get hold of, and def won't break the bank. The Meathead M25 and the Super Bee.

If you're happy to go on a wait list, or check the D*A*M forum buy sell  section (things come up often) owning some fantastic fuzz isn't hard at all in fact.. Obviously the custom stuff goes for a bit more.

As for velcro, have to say I've been gigging the pedals for years and bar wearing out a few old pedal footswitches have never had any issues.

If you can't be bothered with the wait lists,  or a little hunting there are also plenty of other fantastic builders out there.

At the moment I'd say go buy something from Ken @ OxFuzz, Brad @ Creepy Fingers or Ian @ Ghost Fx (UK). All super builders

Hey Chris....it's Ron from Curse the Son.  How are you guys doing?  The new split sounds awesome man.  Hope all is well with you lads!

welshchris

Hey Ron   :)
All great here, I'm finding a bit more time to spend with the guitar and fuzz now my wee girl is 10 months old. Funny I was blasting your Cd in the house on the weekend 8)
How are things with you?

Glad you're digging the split. I just got our CD copies a few days ago from the Roadburn/Burning World guys.

We're busy writing away the next album at the moment, seems strange concentrating on the next thing when this one is only just out!
No I Can't Turn Down..

Glitchyghost

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 28, 2011, 07:44:47 AM
Never had vero split on me, in 20 years, I've got circuits lying about that I've had since I was a teenager.

As to the 3M tape, that stuff is used commercially for all kinds of things, HP used it to hold the storage pouch on their gear on, you can pack those things with a couple of reference manuals, and throw them in the back of a car, then drive them to a vibration chamber (used to be one of my jobs), they stay on ;D

Have you actually had vero split on you? Did the board get wet and warp, or did the copper separate at the edges, or was it a large component pushing the track up?

I agree scramble wiring is ugly, had a Gibson Maestro Fuzz to repair once, all that had happened was all the components had been twisted together and were shorting.

Yes sir, I've had the copper strips separate completely from the board before.  Much like how a tracing on a typical pcb can lift off the board if it's too thin, or someone applies too much heat.   I don't doubt that there's some sturdy stuff out there, and I'm definitely not trying to bag on anyone's work.  As I said, I really am a fan of DAM and Mr. Main's craftsmanship.  And even though I do have a personal opinion that the vero stuff is not the most professional way to go, if I stumbled upon one of his "white whale" pedals, I would probably buy it.  Still, I would never take it on the road.  So I guess what I'm saying is, if DAM pedals are marketed to be more collector/studio type gear, so be it.    But I think he would be wise to consider making an "affordable" line of pedals for the modern bloke.  Lord knows there are more than enough people who want his stuff.

Lumpy

Quote from: koi on September 28, 2011, 11:06:01 PMStill, I would never take it on the road. 

Anything that would bust a D*A*M pedal would also destroy your guitar. You going to leave that at home, too? ;)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

So vero no good, PCB no good, I'm guessing either you don't have any pedals, or you don't go out on the road much? I have had PCB tracks lift, but never vero, maybe you had some cheap radioshack imitation? I've grown to loathe perfboard as it's called over here, whats with this no tracks BS, and those tiny lands, so easy to destroy. I have thankfully now found a place for vero, or stripboard again ;D

The problem with point to point pedals would be either you do it scramble style (no board) and it's a mess, or you can't fit all the components in. I suppose you could handcraft a really tiny turret board, but then the components would be so close you'd hit reliability problems. So good for a couple of transistors or so, maybe. Eylet boards are nice for really simple pedals like boosts, and easy fuzzes though, but they have the same mounting issues as vero.

Glitchyghost

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 28, 2011, 11:57:59 PM
So vero no good, PCB no good, I'm guessing either you don't have any pedals, or you don't go out on the road much? I have had PCB tracks lift, but never vero, maybe you had some cheap radioshack imitation? I've grown to loathe perfboard as it's called over here, whats with this no tracks BS, and those tiny lands, so easy to destroy. I have thankfully now found a place for vero, or stripboard again ;D

The problem with point to point pedals would be either you do it scramble style (no board) and it's a mess, or you can't fit all the components in. I suppose you could handcraft a really tiny turret board, but then the components would be so close you'd hit reliability problems. So good for a couple of transistors or so, maybe. Eylet boards are nice for really simple pedals like boosts, and easy fuzzes though, but they have the same mounting issues as vero.

I didn't say I don't like PCB - anywhere.     And  your "guess" about my pedal amount and road experience is way off, and really just an unnecessary comment.      But I'm not here to get in a pissing match.  My original statement was simply that I'd buy a point to point constructed product before I'd take vero. I never once made a statement that P2P is the best,  or that's all I want.  I'd actually prefer PCB above any other build method, when considering reliability.      And that's from my own personal experience.      So if you want to continue defending vero board, be my guest.    

Glitchyghost

Quote from: Lumpy on September 28, 2011, 11:31:34 PM
Quote from: koi on September 28, 2011, 11:06:01 PMStill, I would never take it on the road. 

Anything that would bust a D*A*M pedal would also destroy your guitar. You going to leave that at home, too? ;)

You guys are really good at missing points. 

I'd leave my 1957 Gold Top (if I had one) at home, and take my workhorse that I don't mind getting banged up.  I compared DAM pedals to classic show cars.  In that sense, they're awesome.   However, they are ridiculously expensive items that are valued mostly on their rarity and status than anything else.    Would I personally trust vero board construction for night after night playing on a multi-month tour?  No, I wouldn't.    Deal with it.

Nice hyperbole, though.   How about you lend me your DAM pedals, and we'll put your theory to the test  ;)

Lumpy

D*A*M pedals are sturdy, they do not break. I've never heard of that happening.

I'd be more worried about somebody snatching it, while you're in the back for the pre-show Safety Meeting.

Stonergrunge

Damn, I've always wanted to buy a DAM pedal but with prices like that it seems very impossible.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love

NoSleepTilSleep

Quote from: Stonergrunge on October 02, 2011, 09:55:13 PM
Damn, I've always wanted to buy a DAM pedal but with prices like that it seems very impossible.

Some of the more common DAM pedals may be on the high side of normal retail but are still pretty obtainable, pedals like the one on eBay are more of an exception. 

bitter

IDK, It's never sat right with me. It's not the price factor, but this has always been a hot-button issue in the past. Money and wait time aside, I'd rather get a clone from someone I like rather than deal with the overseas stuff. If y'all have had good experiences, cool,. I ain't trying to knock anybody... I'm gonna stick with the cubic zirconia's of the world and leave the blood diamonds alone.  ;D
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Lumpy

My Meathead was like 160 bucks postage paid from a music store in Seattle, about 5 years ago... right about the time that D*A*M started blowing up, and started selling direct. You can still buy their pedals for list price, if you make the effort to get on their waiting list. It's cheaper to buy a D*A*M fuzz than it is to buy a Klon Centaur. Their prices on stock items seem to be in line with other boutique manufacturers.

This is like one of those "I hate Fender" threads. Okay cool. Your opinion is duly noted. But I pretty much never hear D*A*M being ripped by people who actually own something by them that they purchased direct. Most people say they love their stuff from D*A*M.

Baltar

Yep,
1. Too expensive
2. Most pedals are cheap compared to a Klon.
3. I would never get on a waiting list for a pedal.
4. They're awesome, but I can still find a Muff or MKII clone all day long for under $150.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Lumpy

Other boutique manufacturers like ZVEX and Skreddy charge similar prices. Nothing unusual about what D*A*M does, and their pedals are great for heavy music.

Plus, unlike other builders' pedals, if you can buy one the value will usually go UP. ;)

core9

D*A*M Meathead is a fuckin beast.....it is evil! ;D

Every time I try something else or use a NMV amp.....I always find myself comparing it to the sound I get with the Meathead.   I always go back to it, no matter what.

Cursed71

Hey core, which meathead do you use?  Standard, dark, deluxe...

core9

I have owned 4 Meatheads.  A White Standard, a B&G Meathead, a Meathead Dark, and the newer M-13.  The M-13 is the one for me....it is a mean motherfucker.

Cursed71

Nice!  Hit me up if you ever want to sell that dark. ;D

Cursed71

Ah, I see...key word: OWNED.  I guess that means you used to have those other meatheads.  Wait, were you selling that dark in the old forum?

core9

Yup....I buy em and try em.  Then move on. 8)