Would you drive 1000 miles for gear?

Started by Lumpy, September 24, 2011, 02:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

I'm looking at some gear 1000 miles away. What's the furthest you would travel, to score something you want, at a great price?

For 500 dollars, I'm thinking about four huge matching subwoofer cabinets (two more than I need, but that price is unbelievably redic.) Fly to another city (add 200 dollars) rent a truck (2-300 dollars) spend 20 hours driving back home, spend one night in a hotel room (60 dollars) gas (200 dollars), southern BBQ and food (50-100 dollars). Possible helper (double some amounts).

If I keep looking, eventually I would be able to find other subwoofers like this, closer to me. But not four of them, and not at this price.

Crazy?

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

bitter

If you're willing to shell out that much on expenses alone, why not just have it shipped? Buyer not willing to ship???

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Instant Dan

No more than 150. 200-250 unless it was something I really wanted like a guitar or amp head. Like bitter end said, ask if he can ship.

Lumpy

Quote from: bitter end on September 24, 2011, 02:51:54 AM
If you're willing to shell out that much on expenses alone, why not just have it shipped? Buyer not willing to ship???

It would have to shipped freight. I don't think that would be cheaper than picking it up myself. It's like 1000 pounds altogether (4 huge subwoofers).

liquidsmoke

If the math works out in your favor and you don't mind spending the time on the trip why not? The BBQ part makes the whole thing sound a lot more appealing. Even northern BBQ gets me excited, southern BBQ? I asked these 2 guys from India what they thought of the local Indian restaurants and they said they were shit, it was music to my ears because I love the local Indian restaurants.

I'd maybe go 70 or 80 miles tops for gear myself.

The Riffer

Yeah man, I'd do that. Sounds like a good roadtrip, and you get some gear that you really want.Fuck man, I travel that far to deliver a pedal sometimes, just to hang with friends. Go for it!
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

neighbor664

Shipping through UPS or FedEx may be prohibitive in cost, but you may want to look into a company like Cavalier or Falcon Global Edge. That is relativity small shipment for them, but I've sent smaller.

Whenever figuring out what something costs I also factor in how much my time is worth to me.
Driving 1000 miles? That's like two days pay, are you willing to spend two days pay plus the expenses you mentioned? Time IS money.

Chovie D

Its not something Id do, but the trip sounds kinda fun for someone who isnt super cranky like myself.

id be concerned id get there and they wouldnt be "as advertised"

Discö Rice

No that's not crazy. That's an adventure. I'm for it.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Hemisaurus

$12-1300 and two days of your time, s'OK if it's a nice trip and you need a vacation. I did 2,000 miles for an amp once, but just because I made it part of a vacation trip. $1200 though, what are they loaded with?

RAGER

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 24, 2011, 11:40:33 AM
$12-1300 and two days of your time, s'OK if it's a nice trip and you need a vacation. I did 2,000 miles for an amp once, but just because I made it part of a vacation trip. $1200 though, what are they loaded with?
Are these the subs?  Cuz if they are I might be concerned

No Focus Pocus

bitter

those ports look like the hookups for dryer vents  ;D
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

mawso

I went 120 ks to pick up my Laney AOR with matching cab (never have been able to understand feet or miles sorry)

Totally worth it.. Wasn't a big fan of the cab so I ended up ebaying it and it sold for about 50 dollars less than I bought the whole lot for.  So basically I got an awesome amp for 50 bones.

Lumpy

Freight may be cheaper after all -- a half-assed quote (just guessed at the freight code, and some other shit) gave me quotes of 500-1000 dollars.

https://www.freightquote.com

I see one of these cabs for sale in Washington DC but it has the wrong model speaker (I'm such a baby) plus it's almost 400 dollars, for one. The other ones near Memphis are $500 for four. Four huge speakers that will eat up a big chunk of living space. (Dayton 15" subwoofer)

Confused. Buy one, four hours away, or buy four that are 20 hours away.

I can relate to this guy....

Hemisaurus

That's freaky, I drove out my way by a couple of hundred miles to pick up a pair of subs with Dayton 15's, I paid $99 for the pair, and fitted them both in the back of the wagon, though I couldn't quite close the tailgate.

Lumpy

50 dollars apiece? I'm getting screwed paying 125 apiece.  :-\

Maybe I should just buy two.

Discö Rice

Lump-Dogggg, if you had four of those motherfuckers... holy shit.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Lumpy on September 24, 2011, 12:21:41 PM
50 dollars apiece? I'm getting screwed paying 125 apiece.  :-\

Maybe I should just buy two.
You're buying scoops? That's an old classic design, and Dayton's are pretty mid-range subs. I dunno if they're worth $125 a piece, certainly not the $300 or so you're paying with all your incidentals. If it's scoops your after, maybe get a wood shop to knock you some eighteen's up, if you can't do it yourself and drop some Eminence's in there.

Discö Rice

Hemisaurus

Maybe a W-bin would be a better bet than a scoop, it might be easier to make, or have made, no curves, less angles. Lots of plans available for each, in variious driver sizes, fancy a 21" scoop?

johnny problem

Any city that I have family members in, I search.  With that being said, the furthest I would have to travel is 550km.

clockwork green

I would gladly drive 1000 miles if it meant my new guitar was done. I like road trips and i like buying gear so for me it would be a Reese's peanut butter cup of fun.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

RacerX

I once drove all the way out to Rio Rancho (40-minute drive) to check out a Dobro. It was in crappy shape, so I didn't buy it. As a result, I was pissed and aggravated for the rest of the day and then some.

So no, i wouldn't even drive 100 miles, nevermind 1000.
Livin' The Life.