Would you drive 1000 miles for gear?

Started by Lumpy, September 24, 2011, 02:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranbat

If I could turn it into a visit to a friend or a vacation, hell yeah. If I could find a couple open mic nights along the way even better. That way I could tell everybody I just came back from a short 'tour'  ;D
Meh :/

MikeyT

No, I would not drive 1000 miles for gear. I get everything I need off Craig's List & ebay.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't, though. I've noticed you guys buy some pretty heavy duty (as in Big & Loud) equipment. I can't imagine why'd you need some some of the stuff you talk about on here, but if you want it, you want it; so you may have to travel to get what you're looking for.
Like you said, you can turn the trip into a vacation.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Iron Mtn

Quote from: Lumpy on September 24, 2011, 04:15:52 AM
Quote from: bitter end on September 24, 2011, 02:51:54 AM
If you're willing to shell out that much on expenses alone, why not just have it shipped? Buyer not willing to ship???

It would have to shipped freight. I don't think that would be cheaper than picking it up myself. It's like 1000 pounds altogether (4 huge subwoofers).

Have you thought about using this:

http://www.shipgreyhound.com/

If the seller will pack it, they will ship it fairly cheap....

Lumpy

Quote from: Iron Mtn on September 26, 2011, 12:13:41 AM
Quote from: Lumpy on September 24, 2011, 04:15:52 AM
Quote from: bitter end on September 24, 2011, 02:51:54 AM
If you're willing to shell out that much on expenses alone, why not just have it shipped? Buyer not willing to ship???

It would have to shipped freight. I don't think that would be cheaper than picking it up myself. It's like 1000 pounds altogether (4 huge subwoofers).

Have you thought about using this:

http://www.shipgreyhound.com/

If the seller will pack it, they will ship it fairly cheap....

Thanks for that link. Keep hope alive. They gave me a 100 dollar estimate, based on my guesstimates. A lot cheaper than I expected. Greyhound has a 100 pound weight limit per piece, which we might not make, even if he takes the speakers out, and ships them separately. I'll email him and see what they weigh. I'd probably get 2 out of 4 though... 4 is going to way overboard. He's got a pic from when he used 2 of the speakers... at an outdoor concert -- they're loud, especially for the little dinky places I'd be using them at. I probably only need 1, actually (but lets get 2, just in case) ;)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Mike_Sims

I went 600+ (round trip) for a Model T once.

Pundan

jibberish

those speakers in that picture. if those are 12" woofers, then whoever designed those cabs understood cabinet resonant frequencies/volume/porting.   I would guess those are very low pitched and hence give nice bass without a peak in a bad freq range.   moving them is probably not real cool.

too bad you music hombres dont embrace cabinet design more.   there are things like H-PAS etc that let you get deep bass from lesser sized drivers and cab volumes

i always wanted to design road gear crates that somehow, once the gear was unloaded, bolt together to form large volume sub cabs. 

unless you are doing something like that celestion image showing a compression drver setup (lots of car audio subs use those "band pass" boxes. kicker even made special subs designed for those, as opposed to standard large volume cabs) it is all just a speaker in the smallest box possible

12s in a guitar cab dontr matter, no bass there anyway and the natural hi pass filter of that shit volume isnt noticed

on topic: ya call a freight company.  it is more rigamarole but not super expensive, especially if you dont take the trip and use that money to pay.