Matt pikes tone on surrounded by theives

Started by justinhedrick, September 30, 2011, 09:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

anyone know how he got it? was he using the soldano pre-amp by then?

NoSleepTilSleep

Definitely sounds like it. If you factor in Billy Anderson's (vs. Albini's) usual production methods, with the guitars eq'd with some boosting in the bass/lower mids, it accounts for the difference between this and say, Blessed Black Wings.

I also remember a pic floating around on the old-board from this era showing his touring rig. It was during the "Green Cab" with duct-tape over the label debacle.  So along with the usual Green heads slaved out to the Soldano + Les Paul, he was using a Boss MT-2... Yeah very weird.

justinhedrick

hmm. i've never seen the "MT-2" board.

i like the blessed black wings tone as well. Actually, I think i like that tone the best. was that soldano as well?

MichaelZodiac

I think he had switched to his Soldano SLO-100 on Blessed Black Wings.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

cat shepard

I heard a 78 les paul with p-90's running through an orange boss and fender bassman cranked and it sounded like h.o.f. gtrs.

grimniggzy

Yeah, I was going to mention the Metal Zone, haha. Glad someone did.
This record sounds awesome, very dirty.

liquidsmoke

A Metal Zone? Now that really surprises me. I've owned a couple of those and could never get a tone out of them that my ears liked.

justinhedrick

Quote from: liquidsmoke on September 30, 2011, 01:30:51 PM
A Metal Zone? Now that really surprises me. I've owned a couple of those and could never get a tone out of them that my ears liked.

if i were to guess, he was using it with the volume jacked and the distortion all the way down. i tried it once. it kind of still sucked, but then again, i'm not matt pike.

Ayek

I thought he was still using the Green amps on that album. Then on tour he started having issues with them and was running one green into a 4x12 and slaving out into a Carvin poweramp into 2 4x12s. Then it became that pink/purple looking Soldano preamp into the Carvin. Don't know about pedals though