Main Menu

Power for Pedal Board

Started by bbottom, October 02, 2011, 03:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

I'm on the fence about buying either a pedal board that is powered or one that is not. If I were to buy one that isn't powered I am curious about how important it is to have a "proper" pedal power supply. Meaning something along the lines of a voodoo labs power supply.

Volume

I guess the main concerns would be durability and noise. Some of the powered ones seem a bit flimsy, so if you gig a lot and/or wear stuff down quickly it might be better to invest in a sturdier pedalboard and a separate power supply. On the other hand if you don't gig a lot a powered pedalboard like Gator is cheap and convenient. And a power supply with isolated outputs will be less noisy.

justinhedrick

why not just make a pedal board with some wood from home depot (or lowes, if you are so inclined) and get something like a one-spot or godlyke power all? i've had both and never had any noise issues (i only replaced them because they suffered awful fates of getting crushed under a cab and the cord ripped out by a drunen me).

then take the $ you saved on a powered pedal board and buy more gear. or beer. or whatever you feel like. 

neighbor664

I've never needed more than my Boss TU-2 for power. On the rare occasion it doesn't work out, I've never paid for a 9volt battery in my adult life. I'm happy to just toss one in rather than buy something else.

Jor el

I dig the one-spot.
I had a dunlop brick a few years back...kinda noisy.
Of courpse, I prolly had shittier cables back then.
What Would Scooby Do ?

liquidsmoke

If you have the cash I recommend a Furman. Tons of power hook ups, hard case with wheels and handle, velcro.

Otherwise I'd go the Voodoo route.

VOLVO)))

My dunlop brick = quiet and 100 bucks.

One spot = noisy and shitty.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 02, 2011, 12:33:19 PM
My dunlop brick = quiet and 100 bucks.

One spot = noisy and shitty.

what version of the one spot you have? i used to have one that had a really thin cord (like that of a mouse cord) and it was noisy as fuck.

but i recently bought a new one spot that has a cord like lamp cord. it's quiet as shit.

VOLVO)))

I've had two or three onespots, of varying quality. They've all been super noisy with my rig. the DC brick eliminated 99% of my noise, the 1% is in my guitar.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bbottom

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 02, 2011, 08:06:53 AM
why not just make a pedal board with some wood from home depot (or lowes, if you are so inclined) and get something like a one-spot or godlyke power all? i've had both and never had any noise issues (i only replaced them because they suffered awful fates of getting crushed under a cab and the cord ripped out by a drunen me).

then take the $ you saved on a powered pedal board and buy more gear. or beer. or whatever you feel like. 

I've made a few pedal boards in the past and they always end up sucking. I'd rather just buy something that is going to be durable and have an actual resale value if need be.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: bbottom on October 02, 2011, 02:16:44 PM
I've made a few pedal boards in the past and they always end up sucking. I'd rather just buy something that is going to be durable and have an actual resale value if need be.

Furman.

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?id=SPB-8C

Pundan

Bought myself a Dunlop Brick. Must've been the most boring gear I've bought, but it's nice to have.

justinhedrick

Quote from: liquidsmoke on October 02, 2011, 11:09:50 PM
Quote from: bbottom on October 02, 2011, 02:16:44 PM

Furman.

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?id=SPB-8C

if you're going to buy one, i'd reccomend a furman as well. seems like they have it all.

RAGER

I think I'm done with the one spot shit except for maybe on one of my key rigs which is glitchey anyways.  There's a Voodoo Labs pedal power plus 2 on CL for $140 NIB.  Any sway on these?
No Focus Pocus

The Riffer

VoodooLabs PP+2 are really good. I have 2 of them. never a problem, and has been rock solid and quiet. I can recommend using them. Also have a TRex fuel tank, same results. In my experiences, the One Spots (which I use everyday to test pedals) are throw aways, seem to last about a year at best, and are varying quality. I use them, and a daisy chain to simulate the horrid conditions that some people use to power their pedalboard. IMO, an isolated power supply is always the cleanest and most quiet avenue.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

Instant Dan

The one-spot is good if you're in a pinch.

The Dunlop brick is a piece of shit. A glorified one-spot.

The BBE Supa-Charger is the best bang for the buck. Provided you are only running 9V or 12V pedals. You can usually find a deal on them for less than a $100.

I currently have the Voodoo Labs PP2+. If you have the cash, I would do that. Plus it has the option of powering 18V or 24V.

Ombrenuit

Industrial strength 9v. Quiet and my phasers / dirt pedals haven't needed a change in over a year.

Keep in mind some pedals are wired to eat batteries even when they're not engaged (russian big muff). Others use a lot of power (carbon copy).

The more complicated the circuit, the more power it eats.

RAGER

Not gonna fuck with batteries anymore.  When I was just using a few pedals I had a system of rotating batts but I have 2 and sometimes 3 different pedal setups.  Gotta have a power setup.

From my experience it's the pedals that oscillate(chorus/delay/trem...) that seem to eat batteries.

Still trying to get ahold of the guy with the pp+2.  Gonna go that route.
No Focus Pocus

fallen

Echo . . .

I have a Voodoo Labs and a T-Rex. Both are good, the Voodoo (ISO-5) seems to tame the hum best.

If you get a PedalTrain board it comes with brackets designed to mount the Voodoo style units to the bottom of the board. Just takes a drill to mount it. Super solid.