Arrested Development is back!!!

Started by demon gal, October 02, 2011, 08:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demon gal

Fucking Yay!

"Arrested Development" is back. Really.

The cult classic television comedy about the travails of the rich, zany Bluth family, cancelled in 2006 after three seasons, will produce nine to ten new episodes and a movie, it was announced at The New Yorker Festival on Sunday.

"It's true. We will do 10 episodes and the movie. Probably shoot them all together next summer for a release in early '13. VERY excited!" leading actor Jason Bateman tweeted.

Smart and irreverent, the show also starred David Cross, Michael Cera, Portia De Rossi, Tony Hale, Alia Shawkat and Jessica Walter. It was executive produced by Ron Howard, who also provided narration.

Since its cancellation, the show has earned a fervent fan base, with constant speculation as to when -- or whether -- the show would be adapted into a movie. The cast, led by Bateman and Will Arnett, has frequently promised that a movie would be coming, though until now they've been unable to offer any specifics. As it turns out, that can be attributed to the difficulties of intellectual properties and broadcast rights.

"We don't completely own the property, there are business people involved and studios and that kind of thing," creator Mitch Hurwitz said on Sunday, as quoted by the NY Times. "Just creatively, I have been working on the screenplay for a long time and found that as time went by, there was so much more to the story. In fact, where everyone's been for five years became a big part of the story. So in working on the screenplay, I found even if I just gave five minutes per character to that back story, we were halfway through the movie before the characters got together."

As such, the plan is to have one episode explore each character as a lead-in to the film.

Just over two weeks ago, Bateman, who starred this summer's comedies, "Horrible Bosses" and "The Change-Up," told Entertainment Weekly that he was frustrated that he couldn't give more details, but assured a film would be forthcoming.

In February, Hurwitz told Digital Spy that the process was underway, but couldn't say more.

"I don't like to toy with the affections of our fans," he said. "They've been so supportive and we're so grateful, so I kind of hate to answer the question until I can say, 'Yep, we've shot it, it opens next week'. Otherwise it feels like we're toying with people and we do not mean to do that. It has just taken a while to get it going."

In July, Jeffrey Tambor, who plays the show's patriarch, told The Huffington Post, "It's all going straight, everyone's on board, I know they're writing, and maybe next time this year we'll be having this conversation."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/02/arrested-development-back-new-episodes-movie_n_991404.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

Crutch

Don't tell Dinger. He'll say we should care about furry ants more.

Anyway, best news in the world. Any bets on what network is going to pick it up? Or shall we assume cable is where it's at these days...

I will show you the life of the mind.
I will show you the life of the mind.

Worthless Willie

I think they ended up doing a deal with Netflix.  Need to do research.

Also, what I heard is each episode will focus on one character, until we're caught up on what everyone has been up to for the last five years, and the the movie.

Excitement!!
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

ez

Do I spy a shark stealthily swimming into position?
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

eoin_not_ian

As excited as I am about this, I think I reached Michael Cera saturation point in about 2010.

Hopefully it all comes off anyway.

BastardCthulhu

I watched the whole new season this weekend.  Incredible.  Besides the all-too-brief appearance by Bob Loblaw, and the complete absence of any reference to GOB's chicken dance, it picks right up.  No lag in quality from the previous seasons at all.  check it out.

strangelight

BastardCthulhu

It took me way too long to figure out what anustart meant.  Nice to see them moving on from Analrapist though.

OUTLANDAH

I was slightly disappointed with the new season. It has it's funny, well played out moments and I do dig how the story intertwined, but it lacks the feel of the original three season. I haven't liked the fact that no more than three characters are in the same room with each other.

Maybe the movie will make up for it all, who knows.

bitter

What an odd season. Gotta give it to them for upping the running gags and interweaving everyone's story lines. It did get a little convoluted towards the end, but slowly righted itself.

I know they want to do more with the show and the characters, but I don't know if there will be more seasons of if the movie will take place/carry on from directly after the 4th season's story line?

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

GodShifter

I was a big fan of the original "Arrested Development" after watching the episodes on Netflix long after the show had been cancelled. I dismissed it roundly when it was on the air and never watched an episode. I regret that now, of course, but the original shows are very, very funny.

I watched about five or six of the new ones and just quit. I couldn't get into it. It just seemed like it was trying too hard. Sometimes you lose that magic after a period of time. I don't think I'll go on and check the others out. Meh.

socket

Holy shit, I was such an asshole for never giving this show a chance. Fucking hipster.  Only like 12 episodes in, fucking hysterical.  And I'm even off weed for now.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

Jor el

As nutty as you think it is at 12 episodes in, it keeps getting nuttier.

Love the show.

What Would Scooby Do ?

sleestak

It keeps going off the rails in a good way. 
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

socket

When I tried getting into it late it just didn't make any sense.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

Token

Been watching this for the first time over a couple of weeks, very cute show.