Favorite Local (to you) beer

Started by neighbor664, October 03, 2011, 11:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neighbor664

Way too many to list for me SF is a micro brew mecca of sorts. I'd say one of the best say macro brews that can be found at any decent local bar is anything made by Lagunitas. I know there are so many more but my brain just ain't working at the moment.
What made me think of this thread is Saint Arnold Beer from Houston, Texas. The best thing about my trip out there.
My hope is that I can enjoy a great local beer wherever my travels take me. Please tell me what should I drink when I come to your city?

RAGER

Actually the northwest is the micro brew mecca of the states.  If you come here to Portland, i would suggest Hair Of The Dog "Blue Dot"  double IPA.  Ab fab.
No Focus Pocus

grimniggzy

Right here in Phila.
http://www.yardsbrewing.com/
I like everything they brew period.
&
http://www.philadelphiabrewing.com/
I recommend Walt Wit & Kenzinger

...and these are some favorites inside PA
http://www.yuengling.com/
I pretty much stick with the Lager, I don't really like the Black & Tan but there is a little bit darker one that I see on tap like once a year that is really good too.

http://www.troegs.com/
I recommend Dreamweaver, Nugget Nectar, Sunshine Pils, Mad Elf & Troegenator (if you feel like tripping balls)
&
http://victorybeer.com/
I recommend the Prima Pils, Golden Monkey, Hop Devil & Helios Ale

Lumpy

Brooklyn Brewing Co. makes great beers. I know that sounds unlikely -- I thought so too, when I first heard of it. But they are top notch. I don't think they do a lot of brewing in Brooklyn (mostly brewed upstate) but they are supposed to be expanding their production again, in the city. You can tour the brewery, I've never done it.

Six Point Brewery in Red Hook (Brooklyn). I've only tried their IPA, it was pretty hoppy and delicious.

Southern Tier is located in NY state. Awesome everything.

The northeast has a pretty decent amount of breweries... I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

grimniggzy

Quote from: Lumpy on October 04, 2011, 05:32:13 AM
Brooklyn Brewing Co. makes great beers. I know that sounds unlikely -- I thought so too, when I first heard of it. But they are top notch. I don't think they do a lot of brewing in Brooklyn (mostly brewed upstate) but they are supposed to be expanding their production again, in the city. You can tour the brewery, I've never done it.

The northeast has a pretty decent amount of breweries... I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

I remember liking what I tried from Brooklyn Brewing. Yeah, the NE is beyond stacked in this area.

rayinreverse

Most anything made by Wasatch Brewing.
Their Evolution Ale is great.
Squatters makes a couple I really enjoy as well.

Salt Lake City Utah, believe it or not, has a thriving and impressive beer scene.

tossom

http://www.highlandbrewingcompany.co.uk/beers/orkney_blast/

ORKNEY BLAST

"a world class real ale" - 6.0%

Appearance: pale and golden in colour.

Nose: rich fruity malt hints of yeast, with earthy, woody, hop with honey and alcohol notes.

Palate: generously malty with balanced spicy hop in the middle leading, to a lingering hop finish, with honeyed fruity malt and a hint of warming alcohol.

Summary: a stunning stronger ale in the true british fashion, with balanced flavours from maris otter malt and English hops added early and late in the copper. One to take great care with as it is so drinkable.
"Beige rock"

johnny problem

http://www.kingstonbrewing.ca/our_beer.html

Kingston Brewing Company.

Their Dunkelnacht is the type of beer I want to marry, have kids with it and settle down.

RageofKlugman

Goachers, which is based just down the road from me in Maidstone, does some really excellent beers - nothing fancy, just simple traditional English styles. I suspect they're hard to find outside Kent, but if you ever get a chance I'd strongly recommend their Gold Star bitter.

RAGER

Another one of my new favorites is Gilgamesh brewing.  They brew my favorite beer of the summer.  Filbert Lager.  Oh man.  Not your typical lager.
No Focus Pocus

Adam

Odells IPA

Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale

Left Hands Milk Stout. Just introduced their Nitro Milk Stout which is also good but the original is still better.

The one and only beer from New Belgium I like, their Lips of Faith La Folie. I do want to try some of their other LoF series like the Clutch, La Terror, and Kick.

deleted account

I had Linden St. Black Lager at the Hemlock and I couldn't stop ordering it.  I'mma have to go the Trappist tonite and see if they got it

RAGER

It's fresh hop season!!!  Fresh hop beers everywhere!!!
No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

lftwng4

Founders Harvest is a damn tasty fresh hop ale.  Along with Surly Wet, the best I've had.

MichaelZodiac

It's very similar to a Duvel (yeasting in the bottle process tends to do that) and even owned by the same brewery but they license the recipe to a smaller brewery because they don't want the competition with their own brand. Anyway, I consider this to be vastly superior to Duvel and quite possibly my favorite Belgian beer.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Chovie D

I live in seattle and dont much like the local breweries. They are too focused on hops and ipas. wisconsin has the best beers.

mortlock

I hate hoppy beers..i get heart burn from them..

Pissy

Quote from: Adam on October 30, 2011, 11:27:11 AM

Odells IPA

Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale

Left Hands Milk Stout. Just introduced their Nitro Milk Stout which is also good but the original is still better.

The one and only beer from New Belgium I like, their Lips of Faith La Folie. I do want to try some of their other LoF series like the Clutch, La Terror, and Kick.

I know this post is way old,  But I didn't know that Oskar Blues was a transplant.  Here is what a can looks like here.  Brevard NC.  I thought they were local to the Appalachians.

Vinyls.   deal.

chille01

Plenty of good brewers around Vancouver, BC and Vancouver Island. Red Racer, Steamworks, and Driftwood are my tops for all around quality across the whole lineup, but plenty of the other guys have worthwhile brews too.

Adam

Quote from: Pissy on October 10, 2013, 06:30:16 PM

I know this post is way old,  But I didn't know that Oskar Blues was a transplant.  Here is what a can looks like here.  Brevard NC.  I thought they were local to the Appalachians.

Yeah, I think it was last year when Oskar Blues opened their East Cost plant in North Carolina. But they have been around in Colorado since at least the '90's and are the craft brewery recognized for being the trailblazers for craft in cans.

New Belgium is another Colorado brewery building and opening a plant in North Carolina. Same deal with Sierra Nevada (though from Cali).