Main Menu

Latest amp build

Started by dunwichamps, October 05, 2011, 05:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

Last question  ;)

How did you get the front panel done? Did you do it on a computer and send it someplace?

dunwichamps

I design on Adobe Illustrator and then send to Precision Design, they are laser etched bi layer plastic. Nice stuff

clockwork green

Very nice. My bass player uses KT88's in his Trace Elliot V6 and my new Elmwood Modena M90 uses a pair as well...great sounding tubes and 2 can definitely hang with my EL34 Matamps. Now if can integrate a FZ-2 as a tubed/gain channel then I might be interested in another new amp :)
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

dunwichamps

Quote from: clockwork green on October 05, 2011, 09:21:46 PM
Very nice. My bass player uses KT88's in his Trace Elliot V6 and my new Elmwood Modena M90 uses a pair as well...great sounding tubes and 2 can definitely hang with my EL34 Matamps. Now if can integrate a FZ-2 as a tubed/gain channel then I might be interested in another new amp :)

Something like this, FYI no pedals here, skip to 5 mins in.

clockwork green

Good but needs more nasty upper octaves.

dunwichamps

Quote from: clockwork green on October 05, 2011, 09:27:01 PM
Good but needs more nasty upper octaves.

Probably cant get that so easily without fuzz pedal, the clipping mechanisms are much different. You could front load the amp with a pedal, not impossible. I have built in FX in that amp

Baltar

Wow, good sounding and sharp looking too.  So many amps, so little $$$.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Baltar on October 05, 2011, 09:49:11 PM
Wow, good sounding and sharp looking too.  So many amps, so little $$$.

thanks for the compliments

Hemisaurus

Quote from: dunwichamps on October 05, 2011, 09:20:34 PM
I design on Adobe Illustrator and then send to Precision Design, they are laser etched bi layer plastic. Nice stuff
Ta, I was about to talk to some local engraving places, but I'll bear them in mind.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 05, 2011, 10:01:38 PM
Quote from: dunwichamps on October 05, 2011, 09:20:34 PM
Ta, I was about to talk to some local engraving places, but I'll bear them in mind.

Sandy runs a nice operation at Precision Design, good prices, super fast turnaround. I get those plates 50 to 75 a pair + ship

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 05, 2011, 07:22:35 PM
Id buy one if I wasnt perpetually broke. Id love a custom amp, dont know how i'd feel about havin' only two power tubes... could you build me a solid state version for 200USD?
Tube preamp, is do-able for that, just a small PT, a pair of tubes, say. Supply your own solid state (or tube) power section. You could even skimp on the PT if you're willing to build a shock box. ;)

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 05, 2011, 11:04:21 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on October 05, 2011, 07:22:35 PM
Id buy one if I wasnt perpetually broke. Id love a custom amp, dont know how i'd feel about havin' only two power tubes... could you build me a solid state version for 200USD?
Tube preamp, is do-able for that, just a small PT, a pair of tubes, say. Supply your own solid state (or tube) power section. You could even skimp on the PT if you're willing to build a shock box. ;)

i dont condone rectifying the mains. possible death

fallen

This is for sure on the list along with a Matamp and a Verellen.

I think my favorite amp I've demoed so far was a Matamp GT-Retro cranked but through an attenuator.

Does it seem like the twin KT88s would be more durable long term than 4 EL34s?

I know the GT-Retro was built to be really faithful to the '70s design so I wonder how long it can survive really being abused.

I think the Wizard does seem to capture some of that loose gain tone which is my favorite.

Where in the country do these amps come from?

dunwichamps

Quote from: fallen on October 05, 2011, 11:35:07 PM
This is for sure on the list along with a Matamp and a Verellen.

I think my favorite amp I've demoed so far was a Matamp GT-Retro cranked but through an attenuator.

Does it seem like the twin KT88s would be more durable long term than 4 EL34s?

I know the GT-Retro was built to be really faithful to the '70s design so I wonder how long it can survive really being abused.

I think the Wizard does seem to capture some of that loose gain tone which is my favorite.

Where in the country do these amps come from?

Im out of CT, near uconn.

I cant say for sure if 88s are more durable than 34s but 88s have a much higher dissipation rating than 34s. A single 88s max dis is 42W (DC power this is not AC power) while 34s are 25W so under similar bias conditions, 88s have more tolerance for larger voltages and power.

Hemisaurus

Have you looked at the 120's that Verellen is shipping with?

Haven't played with any yet, don't have anything worth putting them in.

PS, I was thinking of doubling it first, then rectifying it, so you get a proper voltage ;D

Seriously though, not something I'd recommend, I'd probably try the Fred Nachbaur route of two small wall wart trannies, with one reversed.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 05, 2011, 11:48:40 PM
Have you looked at the 120's that Verellen is shipping with?

Haven't played with any yet, don't have anything worth putting them in.

Those guys are tricky, max stable grid leaks of 50k (88s can use up to 220k) 50k is a large load for the plate of a tube in say a LTPI so you need to design a nice phase inverter to handle small grid leaks. I have a design but have not experimented. Also, still want to see how they handle after abuse, not much history. Another thing is primary impedance, exactly what kind of primary load is good. Soo someday maybe but not yet

Hemisaurus

Maybe use a pentode drive, 6AN8 is what Sunn used, he says checking a schematic? Have a look at http://www.chambonino.com/ somewhere among all that is his pet phase inverter/tube driver stage that he seems to use for damn near everything, including some fairly large old bottles.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 05, 2011, 11:58:01 PM
Maybe use a pentode drive, 6AN8 is what Sunn used, he says checking a schematic? Have a look at http://www.chambonino.com/ somewhere among all that is his pet phase inverter/tube driver stage that he seems to use for damn near everything, including some fairly large old bottles.

In my metro amp I am using a EF86 dc coupled to a 12au7 cathodyne, its not bad for driving 88s

my idea fro KT120s was 2 tube LTPI with DC coupled followers, easily drive down to 10k loads without loss of signal.

Heres a schematic

The Riffer

My Dunwich Metropolitan. Currently running KT66.
Custom Headshell by Emperor .

BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

Chovie D

hate that head cab, no offense. cool digital bias readout!

I cant dont like the look of verellens cabs either. all that stained plywood is like 1970's shop class for me.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Chovie D on October 06, 2011, 09:42:36 AM
hate that head cab, no offense. cool digital bias readout!

I cant dont like the look of verellens cabs either. all that stained plywood is like 1970's shop class for me.

Onboard DMM for measuring B+ and Cathode Current, its pretty sweet. Makes biasing sooooo easy

But Mark I love that cab/headshell. Hopefully you can rip on it in a video demo with a BF????

clockwork green

Maybe it's my lack of high school shop experience but I like the cab. I love the look and feel of wood floors, furniture, instruments etc.

Discö Rice

Your amps are pretty sir, but I couldn't help but notice the lack of pricing info on your website. What's a girl to do?
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Discö Rice on October 06, 2011, 12:09:34 PM
Your amps are pretty sir, but I couldn't help but notice the lack of pricing info on your website. What's a girl to do?

email me, I give out excel spreadsheet quotes

dunwichamps@gmail.com

Chovie D

i dunno. i like stained woods too. but anytime I see a stained PLY where you can see the layers? i think cheap crappy work like I myself might do (Im a lousy carpenter).  :-[

I understand its cheap and easy  to do stained wood instead of tolex, its probably what i would do juts to avoid the expense and asspain that tolex is,  but stained ply is so hideous.

all wood no tolex cabs I like are the first fenders and boogies.

I would find verellen amps MUCH more appealing and professional looking if they cabs were tolexed.

all this is just one mans opinon, and the opinion of someone who is NEVER going to buy a custom built amplifier anyway so.... :-\

why not? vintage amps are cheap plentiful and provide almost every tone I coulod desire and I have a ton of em so....
The only thing I currently desire in an amp that i dont really have access to  is a very low wattage bedroom amp with a more modern sounding gain. Like much quieter than an epi valve jr and with mesa triple rectumfrier like gain  type thing. havent treally tried those nano shit amps maybe thats what IM lookin for?
Right now its old virbrochamps in the bedroom, even they are too loud.