Peavey Windsor $299 - Today Only

Started by Hemisaurus, October 09, 2011, 10:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 11, 2011, 01:59:44 PM
I'm not saying "wrong" I'm saying it seems like it would inhibit "tone?" There isn't enough signal to be amplified, so you love volume as well as high end? If it's what you're after, killer, but it seems like if you just wanted to be on the verge of dirt, I'd go with the AT or the AY, I know the AU in a valve JR gives you a full knob of clean, but half the volume...

I guess it all depends on what your looking for. A bassist may want as much headroom as they can afford. All depend on gain stages, and circuit setup, tube position.

Nothing wrong or right persay.

VOLVO)))

I wonder if there's any adverse effects in the power section, from having to amplify such a small signal... Extra stress on anything? I guess it can't really be too much different than running your preamp volume on 1. I could see issues from sending too big a signal, but not a too small signal...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Even with a 12au7, most amps would already have enough signal to run the tubes up to clipping. Remember its not just the mu that determines the gain, its the output impedance as well and how that interacts with the next stage load.

VOLVO)))

Yayyyy get a windsor!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

BALLS!!! The Windsor goes for like $200 used! Will buy. Or maybe I shouldn't? If not why not? I've heard that they clean up okay with different preamp tubes.

How much are those Bugera Plexi clones going for used now?

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Ah.

Peavey Valveking $300 today-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-valveking-100-head

Crap? Okay?

edit: Ordered. The MF website tried to change me for shipping but I called and they are shipping it for free. Crafty bastards. Based on what I've read the clean channel should work out nicely with my distortion pedal. If it sounds like shit I'll just send it back. Apparently these are being blown out because Peavey is changing the model and adding some digital stuff or something.

eddiefive10

Not a bad amp, I owned a Windsor for a while and had zero issues with it. And I owned a classic 100 head with zero issues that I regret selling. I did always want to try the Penta but never seen one in person!!

liquidsmoke

The Valveking is still going for $299. I heard that cost on this amp is $329!

VOLVO)))

Don't just go happy trigger on some nonsense because it's cheaper :-\

You are bound to be disappointed.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

I don't remember the valveking too well. Kind of a simple meat n' potatoes, clean and dirty amp without much frill. I'd personally want something more interesting tonally and with much less wattage.

/needsanewbedroomamp
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

RAGER

^ get a VHT special 6.  I love mine.
No Focus Pocus

bitter

When I saw yours I went looking at them online. May have to seek one out in person.

I was disappointed to read that shit-show of a thread regarding the OR15's. The Otu guy on youtube had some gnarly tone, but all other videos were shitty. Jake said they sounded like "high gain ass" so moving on. I probably just need a new headphone multi effects unit with a looper and drum patterns. I'd likely get more use out of that.

RAGER

Here's one like mine just ootside of Portland.  I paid half that price but you could probably talk him down.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/msg/4231967624.html
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Actually the one I linked top is a Classic 6.  Mine is the Special hand wired 6.  Some differences.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

I could play Bolt Thrower/Morbid Angel on a stock OR15 with all kinds of gain leftover on the knob. It wasn't what I expected, or wanted.

I have a Randall Commander 2x12 in my bedroom. Wish it sounded as cool as it looked.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

Quote from: RAGER on December 10, 2013, 05:12:11 PM
Actually the one I linked top is a Classic 6.  Mine is the Special hand wired 6.  Some differences.

All those little amps confuse me. So many options nowadays. Used to be, you could by some uber expensive hand-wired low watt amp from a select few makers/manufacturers or you could get the valve jr and maybe mod it.

liquidsmoke

The Valveking verdict- breaks up WAY to much for live use for my current band. Clean channel isn't really that loud. Dirt channel sounds mediocre. The tones overall are not that creamy for a tube amp so I don't want to keep it for recording. Depending on shipping cost(and original shipping costs they may now charge me) I'll either send it back or try to sell it on ebay or craigslist after MF sells out of them or raises their price back up. I read a lot of positive reviews of this amp and that makes me doubt humanity even more than I previously did.

RAGER

Tubes, biasing, speaker choice, cab choice?  There are so many variables. If its a brand new amp,  the stock tubes are probably not the greatest. Try dialing it in. If that doesn't work:  Peavey  :D
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RAGER on December 11, 2013, 11:09:11 PM
Tubes, biasing, speaker choice, cab choice?  There are so many variables. If its a brand new amp,  the stock tubes are probably not the greatest. Try dialing it in. If that doesn't work:  Peavey  :D

It may be biased cold and the tubes are probably cheap, I didn't actually look to see what they are. It's okay but there are better budget amps out there. Maybe I'm being a jerk and should keep it for recording but I don't like the idea of buying something brand new and having to upgrade parts to make it sound great. My distortion pedal sings beautiful howling music through certain other tube amps. Those amps also have better preamp distortion sounds too.

So basically I was hoping a budget new Peavey made in China would sound great. Yeah, that's hope for ya. A fool and his money credit card..., etc.

FullCustom

The Chinese Peavey tube amps have undersized junk iron. I've fixed a ton of the Valve Kings. None of them are right, right out of the box. The Windsor is more stable than the Valve King but I think they are overly bright. And not in a good Hiwatt or Sound City way.