Main Menu

Small tube amp suggestions???

Started by Ranbat, December 25, 2010, 10:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranbat

I'm looking to get myself a small tube amp. Something like the Valve Jr. So far my considerations are the Valve Jr, Gretsch Electromatic and Fender Champion 600. What else is there in the $100-$200 price range? Thanks!
Meh :/

Gravitron

.... on small tube amps

Ranbat

Gravitron

Just having fun!

I've played the Tiny Terror.  They really sound great ... but are made very poorly in my opinion.  They are selling rather cheaply on Craigslist now.  If I owned one, I'd have to get the orange sleeve cover for it to make it look like an actual orange head.

Ranbat

I like the Tiny Terror combo, but that price tag is the killer. I just want something for around the house. I currently have an Orange Crush which has been a great little amp, but I'd like to try a small tube since there's so many around at a reasonable price.

VOLVO)))

Jet City Picovalve. Basically a 2.5/5 Watt THD univalve. 300 bucks new at GC, or less used. Any octal based power tube can be used in it. Sounds damn good.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

I've got a Valve Jr. head just sitting here - no mods, but I did put a new Mullard power tube and a new EH preamp tube in there—those tubes have maybe 20-30 hours on 'em. Now that I've got my Blackstar, this head is just gathering dust.

It begins to develop an AC/DCish tone at about 1:00, but of course sounds best dimed. Put a good overdrive, distortion or fuzz in front, and you can get some seriously heavy sounds. You'll need a cabinet; I've run this through 1x12, 2x12, and 4x12 cabinets with success.

I'll let it go for $75 plus shipping (I have no idea of what shipping will cost, but I'm in New Mexico).

If yer interested, lemme know.
Livin' The Life.

spookstrickland

I've got a Fender Champion 600 and it sounds great! much warmer than the older silver face champs.  It breaks up really good when you crank it.  I love it!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

clockwork green

I modified my Champ 600 with the Mercury Magnetics kit and it really sounds great. The Vox AC4 is also a cool amp and I think sounds better than the Champ when comparing two stock models. For around $300 and some patience you can often find a Silvertone 1482...sometimes referred to as a poor man's Tweed Deluxe.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Ranbat

Quote from: RacerX on December 28, 2010, 07:10:33 PM
I've got a Valve Jr. head just sitting here - no mods, but I did put a new Mullard power tube and a new EH preamp tube in there—those tubes have maybe 20-30 hours on 'em. Now that I've got my Blackstar, this head is just gathering dust.

It begins to develop an AC/DCish tone at about 1:00, but of course sounds best dimed. Put a good overdrive, distortion or fuzz in front, and you can get some seriously heavy sounds. You'll need a cabinet; I've run this through 1x12, 2x12, and 4x12 cabinets with success.

I'll let it go for $75 plus shipping (I have no idea of what shipping will cost, but I'm in New Mexico).

If yer interested, lemme know.

I'll keep that in mind while I'm weighing my options. Thanks : )

VOLVO)))

RACERX IN THE HOUSEEEE. Glad to have ya back, Alan.  ;D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Volume

The Vox AC4 is a great little amp, excellent if you live in an apartment.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

I use a Blackheart Little Giant half stack at the house.  It's cheapish.  Sounds good but looks a little cheesy.

RacerX

QuoteRACERX IN THE HOUSEEEE. Glad to have ya back, Alan. 

Thanks! Good to see all y'all refugees from the ol' Jam Room!
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

I tried the champ 600 and didnt like it. I own two silverface vibrochamps and they are excellent. They were each $200, a '68 and a '73.
Craigslist on christams eve a coue years agao for the 68 drip edge  ;D

I have the valve jr, unmodded and its a nice little head for the bedroom, you can get a great early marshall sound from it with a tubescreamer in front of it and the volume at about half way up.. but i never use it with the stereo vibrochamps and a marshall 18 watt sitting there.

If you can go up to $300 you might find something vintage and being an amp geek, that is the way I'd go. They sound better, have excellent resale value, they can be repaired unlike printed circuit board amps, made in america, you can use em i the studio to great effect , they are an amp you can keep and use for the rest of your life.
Those old gibson and epiphone combos , the falcon and shit like that are just killer. They have the swampiest tremolos too.
The silvertone mentioned above is an excellent suggestion also, love those.

Chovie D

heres a sleeper few know about. fender silverface musicmaster bass amp. they are killer guitar amps and when i see them for sale they are in the $150-300 range cause everyone thinks they are just underpowered bass amps. They put out more power than a princeton tho so they are giggable guitar amps, in fact my guitar lpayer currently gigs this amp  so he doesnt have to bring his 64 princeton. amazing tone he gets from the thing and his was free for fixing another amp for some guy.

Chovie D

another favorite, the gibson falcon

Ranbat

What about Alamo stuff? I just got one for free through an ad I run on Craigslist. I offer to haul peoples junk equipment off for free. ;D I get a little bit out of it. Anywhos, this amp is missing the tubes are missing so I'm gonna replace the tubes and see what happens. Just wondering if anybody has any comments on the Alamo stuff.

Chovie D

You could have a nice little score there, providing it works with new tubes. Which model is it? Alamo was in business for a long time, but their small tube amps are well regarded.

VOLVO)))

The dirt on that tremolo is fucking GODLY.

Every Alamo I've ever played has been kind of balls in terms of clean, but the raunch makes up for it...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Ranbat

Chovie, it's a Montclair Reverb 2565. And that Musicmaster Bass amp? I missed one at a pawn shop a few months ago for $80. I had no idea what it was, but I figured Made In The USA Fender for $80 I couldn't go wrong. Unfortunately I didn't have the cash in my pocket. Went back a week later on payday and it was gone.

Chovie D

Thats a score. Supposed to be similar to a fender deluxe(the best guitar amp ever made). Get some new tubes in there, it may need a cap job too. Tubes and caps and labor can be expensive so even tho free,  you'll still be sinking a little dough into this one. Im guessing it would be worth it tho. It appears to have an SS preamp which is unfortunate. i bet the trem and reverb are great tho.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Chovie D on December 31, 2010, 11:46:07 AM
Thats a score. Supposed to be similar to a fender deluxe(the best guitar amp ever made). Get some new tubes in there, it may need a cap job too. Tubes and caps and labor can be expensive so even tho free,  you'll still be sinking a little dough into this one. Im guessing it would be worth it tho. It appears to have an SS preamp which is unfortunate. i bet the trem and reverb are great tho.

Musicman HD212, HD130... etc.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Ranbat

I have to admit that I am a solid state fan. Which is probably because all my first amps (Kustom, Randall, Peavey) were solid state, so they sound more natural to me. So, a solid state preamp is no big deal. I'll really only have to lay out cash for parts since I have a friend that can help me out with the labor side. Even if I really end up upside down on the cash side to what it's really worth, I think it's worth saving if they are well regarded amps.