favorite crock pot recipes?

Started by justinhedrick, October 11, 2011, 10:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

anyone got any? i have a few i can share, but my favorite is italian chicken:

2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (i throw them in frozen_
1 jar whole pepperoncinis (juice and all)
2 beers (and enough water to cover meat, if needed)
1 packet itallian salad dressing mix
2 cloves garlic

prep is simple: throw it all in. cook it on low for 4-6 hours, shread it and serve on hoagie rolls like you would italian beef.

The Shocker

I've got a similar one:
Crock pot BBQ
Dice an onion & put in crock pot
Take a pork roast (any cut will do) and put on the bed of onions
Add a bunch of garlic
Salt and Pepper roast
Pour 1/2 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce over the roast
Put lid on and cook for about 6 hours
Dump contents in a collander to drain
Once drained, dump contents back in crock pot and shred meat with forks
At this point you can either serve "dry" or pour the remaining BBQ sauce in and blend
Serve on bun

It's even better if topped with cole slaw.
This can be also be done with frozen skinless chicken breasts. 

justinhedrick

is the only liquid that goes on there just the bbq sauce?

black

Yes, the Crock Pot!
Love the way the house smells on a cold afternoon, coming in from the day job while the Crock Pot has been going all day. Someone once made me a curried dish in a Crock Pot. Any of you have a recipe for the C.P. that involves curry?
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

demon gal

Moar please

I'm terrible at crock pot cooking. Everything I have tried turned out grey and soggy?

Edit: deaner I'm going to try your recipe. If it comes out grey and soggy I'm gonna find you and make you eat it.  >:(

The Shocker

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 11, 2011, 12:35:04 PM
is the only liquid that goes on there just the bbq sauce?

Yes. There's gonna be fat from the roast and liquid from the onion.   1/2 bottle at the beginning, and the other 1/2 (optional) after draining.

The Shocker

Quote from: demon gal on October 11, 2011, 12:44:38 PM
Moar please

I'm terrible at crock pot cooking. Everything I have tried turned out grey and soggy?

Edit: deaner I'm going to try your recipe. If it comes out grey and soggy I'm gonna find you and make you eat it.  >:(

Well, pork is the other white meat you know.  ;)

If you are worried about color, cut the roast into a few chunks before you put it in the crock pot (also cut off any excess fat if that bothers you).   About 4-5 hours in, the roast should fall apart fairly easily. You can break up the big chunks and the BBQ sauce should make the meat reddish.  Also, don't buy meat other than chicken or hamburger from Walmart.  Their beef and pork sucks.

demon gal

I think the problem is that so many butchers these days inject a ton of water into meat to weigh it down. When I cook it slowly all that water comes out and boils the meat. I'll make this pork thing on the weekend so I can actually watch it, if it gets too soupy I'll just take some of the liquid out.

Not only is it the other white meat but pork is also means seksin.  ;)

Jor el

Make sure to add a bunch of carrots & baking soda.
What Would Scooby Do ?

The Shocker

Quote from: demon gal on October 11, 2011, 01:09:35 PM
I think the problem is that so many butchers these days inject a ton of water into meat to weigh it down. When I cook it slowly all that water comes out and boils the meat. I'll make this pork thing on the weekend so I can actually watch it, if it gets too soupy I'll just take some of the liquid out.

LOL, you do know the point of the crock pot is that you don't have to watch it? I've never removed any any liquid prior to dumping it, but maybe the Chicago butchers are more nefarious than Mississippi butchers?

demon gal

Quote from: Jor el on October 11, 2011, 01:12:30 PM

Make sure to add a bunch of carrots & baking soda.

::) The green muffins are all your fault, you were supposed to warn me. You're the damn baking expert.

Jor el

Carrots don't go in muffins, silly.
What Would Scooby Do ?

RAGER

Quote from: demon gal on October 11, 2011, 01:09:35 PM

Always brown your meat first.  Then put it in the crock pot.  Much better this way.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i know a dude who throws raw meat into his sauce..no good..you must brown the meat first..in olive oil..this is a crucial step..

NCR600

Quote from: mortlock on October 13, 2011, 12:29:06 AM
i know a dude who throws raw meat into his sauce..no good..you must brown the meat first..in olive oil..this is a crucial step..

Yep.

A good cast iron pot is a better investment than one of these crock pots, or slow cookers as they call them out here now (they called em crock pots when I was a kid)

When I make Chili or a Bolognese Ragu, I'll brown the meat and onions etc mid morning, stick it on a low heat on the stove and piss off down the beach for the rest of the day. Cast iron is the real deal, and doesn't make everything taste like hospital food. Even better if you can bury the pot in coals from a campfire for 12 hours.

RAGER

i actually don't do the crock pot thing.  Don't really care for it.  Not my way of cooking.

My bolognese takes anywhere from 4-6 hours and takes a full bottle of red wine and nearly a gallon of water.
No Focus Pocus

The Shocker

We do a lot of cast iron cooking too.  Wife made a pot roast with carrots, onions, potatoes & sweet potatoes last night that was delicious.

justinhedrick

Quote from: RAGER on October 13, 2011, 11:04:10 AM
i actually don't do the crock pot thing.  Don't really care for it.  Not my way of cooking.

My bolognese takes anywhere from 4-6 hours and takes a full bottle of red wine and nearly a gallon of water.

go on about the bolognese . . .

RAGER

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 13, 2011, 03:33:43 PM
Quote from: RAGER on October 13, 2011, 11:04:10 AM

go on about the bolognese . . .

Ok.  I'm not a big fan of this chef but her bolognese pretty much parallels mine.  there are a few subtle differences that I do but if you do it this way it will still be awesome.

No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Our Crock Pot is cast iron so you can start it on the stove and brown everything that way first, saves a lot of fooling around.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

NCR600

That youtube is not available in the arse end of the world. What do they think it is, 2008 or something?

The recipe for Bolognese Ragu I follow uses the classic trio of aromatic veg (Onion, Carrot, Celery) , 1lb pork mince, 1lb veal mince, 2 cans of tomatoes, 1 glass of white wine and 1/3 cup of milk. I think the idea for Bolognese is to make the meat the star, but I prefer to add 2 cloves of garlic to the trio, and some oregano, thyme and majoram from the garden and some stock. Red wine definately would overpower it.

I got abused by the friend of a Facebook friend who thought I had no right to be making anything called Bolognese because I wasn't A) Italian, B) From Bologna, and C) Not making it in Bologna.

Pretty much the only food that causes more internet shitstorms is Paella.

I,Galactus

Crock Pot weather's around the corner, and I for one am stoked!  Nothing like coming in the house on a cold day and it already smelling delicious.  Here's some idiot proof* recipes that I plan on making use of again soon:

Super Simple Pot Roast:

(1) Top Round Roast
(1) can cream of mushroom soup
(1) packet dry onion soup mix

8 hrs on low.  Pull out the roast, thicken juices with cornstarch for gravy.  Mash some potatoes and feed the whole fam damily.  If you can afford better than top round, then by all means go ahead but top round is plenty cheap and tasty though.

Salsa Shred Pork:

(1) Pork Tenderloin
(1) cup water
(1) onion, quartered
(8 oz) salsa

6-8 hrs on high.  Shred with forks.  Great for soft tacos or sandwiches.

As far as salsa goes, the runnier and fresher tasting the better.  I use this stuff, but any good stuff will do:

*I ain't sayin' anybody's an idiot, but these recipes are pretty damn un-fuck-up-able.  :)
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

RAGER

Pretty much the only food that causes more internet shitstorms is Paella.

Yep lots of variations on both recipes.  Although I've had paella's that i thought should not have been called paella.  As for lots of red wine in my bolognese,  i usually make a pretty large batch hence mostly a bottle of wine.  when simmered for about 6 hours you come out with a nice deep rich meat sauce.  My ragu i use pork and large chopped veggies.
No Focus Pocus

demon gal

Quote from: deaner33 on October 11, 2011, 12:30:00 PM
I've got a similar one:
Crock pot BBQ
Add a bunch of garlic
Salt and Pepper roast
At this point you can either serve "dry" or pour the remaining BBQ sauce in and blend
Serve on bun

OK I'm making a BBQ pork in my crock pot, haven't used that thing in 5 years, wish me luck.

I salted, peppered and browned the roast before putting it in the crock pot. I also made some holes and stuffed them with garlic cloves.

The sauce: 

I used 2 cusp of beef stock and half a bottle of BBQ sauce then I added some ketchup to cut the sweetness of the sauce, 2 tablespoons of strong brewed coffee and a little worcestershire, granulated garlic, brown sugar.

The Shocker

Quote from: demon gal on October 22, 2011, 04:18:48 PM
Quote from: deaner33 on October 11, 2011, 12:30:00 PM
I've got a similar one:
Crock pot BBQ
Add a bunch of garlic
Salt and Pepper roast
Serve on bun

OK I'm making a BBQ pork in my crock pot, haven't used that thing in 5 years, wish me luck.

I salted, peppered and browned the roast before putting it in the crock pot. I also made some holes and stuffed them with garlic cloves.

The sauce: 

I used 2 cusp of beef stock and half a bottle of BBQ sauce then I added some ketchup to cut the sweetness of the sauce, 2 tablespoons of strong brewed coffee and a little worcestershire, granulated garlic, brown sugar.

Damn, you're going hardcore.  Just remember low and slow. Don't mess with it once you have it going, no matter how bad you want to.