Main Menu

Snare heads - what do you like?

Started by Discö Rice, October 16, 2011, 03:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discö Rice

Batter heads - Brand? Coated? Clear? Kevlar?

Snare side - Brand? Weight?
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

VOLVO)))

I usually go with vented snare heads. I like a very abrupt and loud snare, with little or no overtone. Just quick, and concise. Evans Genera vented heads. Coated.

Snare side is whatever, usually the thickest one I can dig up.

Basically, anything to tame the high end. Cymbals I use Zildjian rock 18, medium 20, and a 21 inch rock ride... 14 inch new beats...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

I use The Evans Genera HD Dry heads for the same reason. They hold up nicely, too. I don't actually remember what I have on the snare side at the moment.

VOLVO)))

I also play a bunch of blastbeats, and whatnot.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

I usually use Evans but right now I've got a Remo batter.  Snare side i just use thick cheapo sunnlites
No Focus Pocus

Discö Rice

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 16, 2011, 05:09:39 PM
I also play a bunch of blastbeats, and whatnot.
I've heard that about you.

Quote from: RAGER on October 16, 2011, 05:20:53 PM
I usually use Evans but right now I've got a Remo batter.  Snare side i just use thick cheapo sunnlites
Really? How do they sound?

RAGER

They sound fine to me but you probably have a better ear for that stuff than I.  I'm mainly a guitar player
No Focus Pocus

Discö Rice

Quote from: RAGER on October 16, 2011, 05:34:58 PM
They sound fine to me but you probably have a better ear for that stuff than I.  I'm mainly a guitar player
Eh. Maybe, but as long as it doesn't make you cringe every time you hit it, you're alright.

db3jed

Batter: Remo Coated CS black dot underneath.
Snare Side: Remo Ambassador Hazy (med.).

I've been playing in bands since '77 and have used dozens of different brands/models of drum heads through the years and always wind up coming back to this combination of heads on all of my snares.
For me they are just more articulate and tone-full over a greater range of playing dynamics/volumes than any other combination I've used through the years.
They're also really durable for me and my playing style (ymmv...).

The two snares that I primarily use/abuse are:
1985 Yamaha Recording Custom 8X14 (birch, my primary snare)
1981Yamaha SD605MD 6.5X14 (chrome steel, my oldest snare and a sentimental favorite).

justJon

I've been going back and forth between Remo Black Suede Emperors, and coated White Suede Emperors for the batter. Not sure I notice an actual sonic difference. The Black Suede may be a touch darker sounding, or it may just be a mind trick.
For the snare side, I'm using the hazy Emperor.
Overall, nice thick, solid, round tone. Everything's tuned way up high, 8"x14 Maple shell snare with maple rims. The wood rims give a great "vowel" sound to rim shots. It's not a "Thwack!" it's a Thwock!"
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

VOLVO)))

Oh, man, I want that. When I get a snare worthy of maple rims, I'm getting them...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Whatever the guy in Ramesses used for the first EP's, thats a love it or hate it snare sound.

I also read the Isis drummer used a marching band snare head for Celestial, and that sounds good ;D

SpaceTrucker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3DoQFXzhb0  The one on this.  :D. I don't play the drums but I know what I like and that snare is it. And that bass line is just sick too. And the horns... Best beat known to man.

chlorpromazine

Every individual snare that I have uses a different combination, but this is where I start, especially for heavier music.

Evans Genera HD Dry on snares with a good bit of overtone
Remo CS Reverse Dot on snares that are a little drier naturally

I always use thinner resos, either diplomat or 300 weight. I aim to try the Remo Renaissance the next time I change out a reso.

chlorpromazine

Quote from: SpaceTrucker on October 19, 2011, 01:51:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3DoQFXzhb0  The one on this.  :D. I don't play the drums but I know what I like and that snare is it. And that bass line is just sick too. And the horns... Best beat known to man.

that's a rim click on the snare
the sound comes more from the technique than the drum

...and I know it is subjective and all, but the best beat known to man belongs to Clyde Stubblefield or G.C. Coleman.

SpaceTrucker

Oh, so your talking about hiting the rim around the actual head?

RAGER

You rest the end of the stick on the snare head and hit and hold the stick on the rim at the same time.  Hope I explained that right
No Focus Pocus

Discö Rice

Quote from: RAGER on October 19, 2011, 06:21:26 PM
You rest the end of the stick on the snare head and hit and hold the stick on the rim at the same time.  Hope I explained that right
Right. That's a rim knock. A rim click is when you just hit just the rim without touching the head, and a rim shot is when you swing the stick at the drum as you would normally, but you hit the rim and the head at exactly the same time, making a massive "thwock!!" sound. You can change the sound of this dramatically by changing where the tip of the stick strikes the head. The center will be full bodied and huge, while the edge will be high-pitched with lots of overtones.

blackkrosses