Main Menu

Browsing the Rondo site

Started by Discö Rice, October 18, 2011, 06:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discö Rice

came across this.

http://www.rondomusic.com/ARGUS630natash.html

I like. The headstock is an atrocity, but I can deal with it.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

justinhedrick

i wonder how they stack up to the fender. isn't the j mascis jazzmaster only a couple hundred more?

Discö Rice

See that's alright, but I really dig the three pup design as it's closer to the design of the original instrument, and if I want to I can just buy a Bass VI wiring kit and do it up proper.

Discö Rice

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 18, 2011, 06:51:01 PM
i wonder how they stack up to the fender. isn't the j mascis jazzmaster only a couple hundred more?

These are Bass VI copies, Justin. They're six string basses with a Jazzmaster tremolo.

RAGER

is that a baritone (30" scale) or a 6 string bass?  both?
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

we were typing at the same time
No Focus Pocus

justinhedrick

Quote from: Discö Rice on October 18, 2011, 06:54:23 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on October 18, 2011, 06:51:01 PM

These are Bass VI copies, Justin. They're six string basses with a Jazzmaster tremolo.

fffffffuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkk. that's awesome.

Discö Rice

Yeah. Punchy and dirty. Not as much sustain as some other basses, but there's a whole world of sounds to explore with those badboys.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Discö Rice on October 18, 2011, 07:15:25 PM
Yeah. Punchy and dirty. Not as much sustain as some other basses, but there's a whole world of sounds to explore with those badboys.

so, it is a full octave below a guitar, or is it a fifth below, or?

clockwork green

Baritone Jaguar is a full octave E-e lower but no trem.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

Well the lowest gauge on the Agile is 84, that's an E in a light full length set, or an A in a regular nickel set. So at 30" it could be a floppy E or a slightly more tense A ;D

I've got a standard gauge set on my 24" scale bass, and it's pretty floppy.

VOLVO)))

I'd just go up in gauge, honestly, and roll E-E with it.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Hmm it's the right gauges for a Fender VI, guess that's just the tension they go with, would explain the lack of sustain.

I thought Jack Bruce used to play a VI going A to A?

VOLVO)))

This motherfuck could sell me snow, if I were an Eskimo.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

so, i could drop the low A down to a G and rock it a fifth below drop d? hmm.

woud you have to run it through a bass amp, or?

Discö Rice

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 18, 2011, 07:44:10 PM
It's a tenor bass, A-A  ;D
They can go E to E just as well. In fact Fender even says so.

Hemisaurus

Floppy spaghetti ;D

Actually my favourite story is about Bolt Thrower recording Realm of Chaos, Jo Bench says they tuned down to A, and that was on a regular bass, with a regular set of bass strings, flop-city. I've tuned an EADG down to BEAD for emergency purposes once or twice, you do lose the sustain a bit, you can counter it by huge amounts of amplification, or raising the string height a lot.

VOLVO)))

I think this would be great for a two piece...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Further clarification. Headstock says exactly what it is ("bass guitar", not "baritone guitar"), although it can be used as a baritone. Also, other than Cream I guess, I've never heard one tuned to anything but E standard. I would, however, get heavier strings than that.

Hemisaurus

Hey it's an instrument, you can call it what you like, you can tune it how you like, you can play it how you like, long as you have fun doing it ;)

I'm off to play my double-baritone electraukelmandotar now ;D

Discö Rice

Heh. You wanted semantics, you got 'em. I just pointed out what the manufacturer calls it. You can call it an inflatable zebra if you want. As far as tuning goes, A to A just kinda seems like a waste on a 30" scale instrument, especially when people are already doing that with non-baritone and non-bass instruments.

clockwork green

Yeah but A on a 30" scale sounds a lot more twangy than on a more standard Fender 25.5" or Gibson 24.74" scale.
I've always like the country term tic-tac basses for the VI. The E just doesn't sound that great but everything else just makes for a big, lush clean tone. I've yet to find the right fuzz but the cleans are like the lower keys of a grand piano.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Discö Rice on October 19, 2011, 04:19:36 PM
Heh. You wanted semantics, you got 'em. I just pointed out what the manufacturer calls it. You can call it an inflatable zebra if you want. As far as tuning goes, A to A just kinda seems like a waste on a 30" scale instrument, especially when people are already doing that with non-baritone and non-bass instruments.
Hey I never said which A ;D

Seriously though, those gauges, that scale length, I'd have gone with an A not an E. Do they make heavier sets, or do you have to roll yer own?