Guitar players that have switched to drums...

Started by Wesogkan, November 07, 2011, 08:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wesogkan

That's right, my guitars are collecting dust right now, (not by choice) so I'm writing riffs on bass and playing drums in a band. Anyone else?

I still need to play guitar soon, I'm going crazy...

jibberish

i would have to have my son answer this one.  except more like plays guitar then ADDED drums.

clockwork green

J Mascis was a drummer and then went to guitar. I always wanted to play drums but bought a guitar because of cost and a lack of space/sound dampening for the drums and I've still never learned to play the drums.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Mike_Sims

I switch. Mostly guitar, haven't played in a "serious" project as a drummer yet, although I'd love to.

neighbor664

Rafael from Black Cobra is a great example of someone who has excelled at drums after being well established as a great guitarist and bassist too.

Discö Rice

I'd like to play guitar or bass in a band at some point. I've only done it for one-off performances.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

bloodofkings

Why I have a case of this in one of my bands. Drummer left, one of our guitarists decided to fill the seat after we auditioned a few guys and they didn't work out. This is the first band he's actually played drums. He's played for a while to be able to record his stuff at home. He's doing really well. He does say the hardest thing for him is stamina.
I can't crap for shit.

RAGER

I mainly play guitar but have been the drummer in 3 bands.  Just jammed with a fledgling band on drums the other night.  Wasn't my thing though.  Not rockin enuff.
No Focus Pocus

Dr. Skeeter

It's really hard to take a cocktail of xanax/valium/mdma/oxy and drink a case of beers when you're drumming.
I like to have my meltdowns up front, on the bahs.

eyeprod

it can only help your guitar playing.

I like playing some drums, but I'm pretty limited in skill. I do have a cool trashy sounding kit, and have had lots of fun with it, even though I mainly play guitar. It's helped me to better understand both instruments.
CV - Slender Fungus

Metal and Beer

I started on drums as a teenager, switched to guitar around age 18, bass since 2006 and now I'm back at the drums, and by springtime I'll have my chops back and can hassle/harangue/guilt/peer-pressure some local bruthas into jammin'...

Drums, bicths!!
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Instant Dan

Eddie Glass went from playing drums to guitar in Fu Manchu and Nebula :P

Harm

I'd like to be able to play guitar, but when i hold one in my hands and try something i feel so lost that i lose motivation.
More faithfulfew right here.

I,Galactus

I am currently a guit-fiddler, but I looong to be a drummist.

I think for my mid-life crisis, I'll opt for a drum-kit instead of an impractical motor vehicle.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

rayinreverse

we have a really great drummer that plays guitar in our band.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RAGER on July 09, 2012, 09:28:04 PM
I'm a guitdrummist

+1 and proof!

I'm a shitty drummer... but I'm also a shitty guitarist!

^^^^ that was like the forth time we played that tune in it's entirety. buncha mistakes.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

AgentofOblivion

Quote from: eyeprod on November 10, 2011, 08:13:27 PM
it can only help your guitar playing.

I like playing some drums, but I'm pretty limited in skill. I do have a cool trashy sounding kit, and have had lots of fun with it, even though I mainly play guitar. It's helped me to better understand both instruments.

+1.  I always dabbled on drums but finally bought a kit about a year ago.  If you also have a simple way to record (I just used two mics in an x-y pattern), it opens up a lot of possibilities.  I think you become a better song writer because you're considering more how parts from different instruments will interlace.  Also, they're just a hell of a lot of fun.

franksnbeans

I started out as a guitar player, but when my brother started playing guitar I went to drums.  Now I'm in a band as a drummer and a band as a guitarist.
Advice as a drummer:  drums are sweaty and dirty, and you gotta carry a lotta shit with you everywhere.  You need to change underwear often too if you want to be a drummer because it makes your balls all sweaty. 

Discö Rice

Quote from: franksnbeans on July 12, 2012, 04:23:44 AM
You need to change underwear often too if you want to be a drummer because it makes your balls all sweaty.
Troof. :(

BigSwordfishtrombone

When I was 11-12ish I played drums. That was ended when I injured my left wrist while playing one day (I wasn't paying attention and I stupidly hit my wrist with a drum stick). So when I was 14 I started learning guitar. Not exactly what you're looking for, but I guess it's semi-relevant.

Also, I believe Dave Grohl started out as a guitarist and then learned drums afterwords. So I guess you can count him.

Edit: I'm not too sure about what order he started in, but Josh Homme plays guitar (like I even need to tell this forum this lol), and played drums on some of Mark Lanegan's stuff. I think he did drums on some other stuff too, but I may be wrong.

Discö Rice

Really "injured"? You sure you don't mean "slightly bruised"? Were you using katana blades instead of your trusty 5B's that day? Chinese military issue stick grenades? Feral cats? Wolf eels?

BigSwordfishtrombone

Quote from: Discö Rice on July 16, 2012, 04:04:49 AM
Really "injured"? You sure you don't mean "slightly bruised"? Were you using katana blades instead of your trusty 5B's that day? Chinese military issue stick grenades? Feral cats? Wolf eels?

Yeah, really injured. I still don't have full range of motion in my left wrist. I actually can't play barred chords (excluding major chords with the root on the A string) for too long without loads of pain. It didn't heal correctly, so there's still a lump in my wrist.

Not the best pic (semi-shit laptop cam), but you can kind of see the lump that I'm talking about.

AgentofOblivion

When you get all the instruments, instead of watching TV you can spend a couple hours making shit like this:  http://ge.tt/8VmvpQD/v/0

It's really a lot of fun if nothing else.