Main Menu

BYOC 33% off sale

Started by Chovie D, November 23, 2011, 06:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chovie D

11/23-12/23, buy 3 get one free...but its really just 33% off whatever you buy over 3 so buy 5 get 33% off.

They do this once or twice a year. so...nows the time

enjoy

Baltar

I'd prolly nab the Fuzz Face, booster, or Tone Bender.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Glitchyghost

Nice.  Thanks for the heads up.

I am really looking forward to BYOC's amp kit.  Looks like Dec 1 is the release date.  I'm all over that.

Chovie D

Quote from: Baltar on November 23, 2011, 07:03:20 PM
I'd prolly nab the Fuzz Face, booster, or Tone Bender.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/
you gotta buy three to get the discount so get all three of those, plus the leeds fuzz for free :)

RAGER

I'm gonna try and take advantage of this
No Focus Pocus

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

chille01

So, if my bass player's distortion pedal busted and I wanted to make him a new, personalized pedal for bass for Christmas... Which of these BYOC dirt pedals would be best for bass, in your guys opinion. He likes a nice warm, round bass sound with plenty of mids. Had been using some BOSS orange thing that wasn't blowing me away.

Baltar

Prolly a Large Beaver tweaked for more low end?  Make it more like a Russian circuit.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

chille01

Thanks Baltar.  I think what I'm actually going to do is mod the Russian Big Muff I have, and put it in a new custom enclosure for him.  I actually started another thread about it.

RAGER

They just released their Champlifier 5F1 amp kit.  $350 :)
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

Quote from: RAGER on December 03, 2011, 06:53:28 PM
They just released their Champlifier 5F1 amp kit.  $350 :)

as much as i like BYOC, I'm not sold on their amp kit. heres why.
The kit does not come with a cabinet or speaker. I guess they want you to order those separately from mojo?
The same kit (no cab no speaker ) from mojo is $275.
Complete kit from mojo with cab and speaker is $475.
Mojo cab alone is $190. then you still gotta get a speaker.

BYOC uses a fiberglas turret board. The original amps used a thick cardboard turret board. Isnt fibergalss better? Maybe but its not the same as the original and IMHO EVERY component counts. does the fiberglass turrett board have differnt conductivity than thick cardboard? maybe? whatever...its not what was in a real 5F1 champ.

The Mojo kit comes ewith NO instruction, just a wiring diagram. But thats all you need. a wiring diagram and some pictures on the net.
You have to figure out your own grounding scheme, but hey...Leo fender did that work for you and left some clues for you in the form of pictures on the internet ;)
The BYOC comes with 69 pages of instructions and I think this is what you are paying  extra $$$ for.
With the mojo kit, you will learn about amplifiers, maybe learn enough to service your own in the future.
With the byoc kit, you will merely assemble.

my two cents, Id get the mojo kit without their tubes

RAGER

What they have put into their instructions very well may be the reason for the extra dough.  BYOC seems to be in the business of giving people the confidence to build their own stuff.  And having nearly fool proof instructions gives people the added boost in confidence to attempt something like this.  It's up to the builder to ask questions and gain some theory behind this stuff rather than just assembling.  i would think that anybody that's wants to build an amp would want to know the "why's" too. 

Don't know why they don't use the fibreboard board but regardless of which one, neither are conducive.  That wouldn't be good. ;)
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

no doubt the instructions are thorough knowing BYOC.
What I was trying to say is that the lack of instructions in the other kits  kind of forces you to learn a bit...but as you said thats up to the preference of the builder i guess. I'll say this, a 5f1, with no instructions at all and only a wiring diagram is still fairly easy to build. You look at some pictures online and you're good.

I think everything is conductive to some degree, at least thats what Ive read.
with these kits I want them to be as close to the original as possible, thats why Im builing em cause I want the original but cannot afford it. (and for fun)

mainly tho the price is kinda steep since you gotta shell out another $190 for a cab,