Bang! box set

Started by Harry Manback, December 31, 2010, 01:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Manback

Just picked this bad boy up today. Great band that never really caught on. Classic early 70's heavy goodness.

MikeyT

Don't remember hearing them. I'll check them out on yt.
'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Harry Manback

if you dig Grand Funk, Sabbath and Zeppelin you will love these guys.

CanookieWookie

It's a great box set. Well done. The mini-lp cd's are a fav. of mine. Nice booklet aswell, and of course the band is quite good.

EddieMullet

A fantastically done box set, the remastering is stellar and the booklet is a fascinating read. 

First "official" release of the unreleased first album "Death of a Country" and a proper mix and mastering of it is a nice part of it.  It's a bit dated sounding and has it's weak spots but I loved getting to hear it.

The self titled album is fantastic I had that one on vinyl for years and loved it.  Probably my favorite of the 4 discs.

"Mother/Bow to the King" is a bit more mellow and the cover of "No Sugar Tonight" is restored after having been removed from earlier CD pressings.  Session drummers are used on this one, one being Bruce Gary future drummer for The Knack.

"Music" is weird, they are reduced to a duo (with help from session players)  they try to go in a different directions and stumble around it but once you get over the fact that it is not going to sound like the self titled it's not too bad.  I was told to avoid this album for years, (back when vinyl copies went for a lot of money) so the few times I saw it on vinyl I passed on it.  Turns out it is not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Harry Manback

after reading that booklet you really feel for the guys, but there are thousands of bands that have gotten screwed over like they did.

CanookieWookie

Very true. Far too many 70's bands got thrown overboard, which is too bad, as there are so many hidden gems.

sleestak

Haven't read the booklet much but I was thoroughly obsessed with this set the month leading to christmas.  Good shit, even Music.  (love the first song and the first of the tacked on 3 singles). Also how is the interview?  I keep skipping it to put on more music.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

CanookieWookie

Haven't listened to the interview either, I just repeat with the music. Rise Above did a real good job with this.