Main Menu

theramins

Started by James1214, November 26, 2011, 01:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James1214

Anyone have experience with them? The kits are super expensive, and I'm sure I could source a schematic and all the parts for way less then the nearly $300 a kit costs. I think it would be cool to have one and it could prove useful and fun to fuck around with. Does anyone have a particular schematic that rules? are there any other ideas from the awesomeness that is the JamRoom, any and all help/input is appreciated.
words

Blueberry Lazer

I saw melt banana do a set where the guitarist used a theramin instead of a guitar. He had it going through his 2 pedals boards and it was nuts. It looked like he was dancing but it was producing amazing noise rock.

xayk

I've super-casually looked at schematics, but I usually decide another simpler noise-type thing would be easier.  I have a friend who owns five or six, from vintage units to a new Moog that cost more than my car.  They all sound the same to me.

Isis used one, if I remember correctly, live during the Celestial era, and John Spencer used two during an encore a few years ago.  That was pretty swell.

cat shepard

Matt from USX builds his or has built some of his own and I think without a kit maybe, but I could be wrong it's been a hot minute.

James1214

Quote from: xayk on November 26, 2011, 09:59:28 PM
I've super-casually looked at schematics, but I usually decide another simpler noise-type thing would be easier.  I have a friend who owns five or six, from vintage units to a new Moog that cost more than my car.  They all sound the same to me.

Isis used one, if I remember correctly, live during the Celestial era, and John Spencer used two during an encore a few years ago.  That was pretty swell.

Mouth of the architect used one live for a while too
words

Chovie D

I have this one, its not very useable. It works on light raher than proximity so its the reverse of a regular theramin. Instead of activating when you get near it, its always on and you vary pitch by sheilding the photo sensor from light. If I ut gobs of delay on it it sounds like a theramin, it just doesnt control ina useable way for me.

Volume

Our keyboard player uses an Alesis Air FX for theremin like effects and just weird sounds in general. It's got lots of different mostly useless sounds, like hand claps and stuff, too.

I,Galactus

Hemi dropped this gem in the show off yer rigz thread a while back:

http://www.soundslikeburns.com/

They've got a wider price range of kits than you see most places.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Hemisaurus

yep, and if you don't want a full-on theremin, you can build an optical theremin for about $20. This is one where you only have a pitch control, and rather than use an antenna it uses a photoresistor.

I have a Paia Theremax, and I actually have the volume loop disconnected, it's unnecessary for most sound effect-y type things you'll probably use it for.

Even a regular antenna pitch-only theremin can be done simply, a couple of IC's or so.

Similar to what ZVex uses in his probe series, I think it's a couple of inverters and something.

mortlock

i have a hiwatt echo theremin that is insane..its alot of fun to jam with. you can get some great sounds if you know what you are doing.. it takes some dedication to really get good..