ABY splitter with tuner output question

Started by Discö Rice, November 29, 2011, 04:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discö Rice

Can the tuner out on this be used as a third line level signal output for an additional amp?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Radial-Engineering-BigShot-ABY-Passive-Switcher-107219693-i1124793.gc

I know it can with the Framptone 3-banger, but that fucker's $369 dollars new, and this guy's $79.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

fallen

Yeah but it looks like the tuner out is always on...

Discö Rice

that's just fine - there will likely be zero switching going on. It will be used to run three bass amps simultaneously.

Chovie D

couldnt you build something like that for fairly cheap and customize it to exactly how you want? its juts a couple switches and jacks right, completely passive?

Discö Rice

Maybe you could.  I'm a drummer.  ;)

Actually that $79 dollar thingy has a number of other cool options. Seems like a good deal for the money.

Lumpy

DOD resistance mixer is like 30-40 bucks used, has one In and four Outs (can be used either direction). No battery required. Knobs don't boost your signal, only cuts. Actually, I don't know if there is any signal loss when splitting your signal this way (duh). If so, could be overcome with a boost in front (MXR Micro Amp or whatever)

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/dod/first/240

If you don't need switching capability, then why pay extra for it. Switching could be cool too, though.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Chovie D

Quote from: Discö Rice on November 29, 2011, 06:34:10 PM
Maybe you could.  I'm a drummer.  ;)

Actually that $79 dollar thingy has a number of other cool options. Seems like a good deal for the money.

watcha doing running three bass amps at once as a drummer? got some wild e-drums?  ;)

Discö Rice

Thanks for the heads up! just found this -
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nady-MM-141-4-Channel-Mini-Mixer-630433-i1153423.gc#

$22.99 requires battery or 9v power supply, provides up to 20db of gain.

Whatcha think?

Discö Rice

It ain't me, Choves. My bass player's trying some shit out, and since she doesn't post here I figured I'd check with you hep cats for recommendations.

RAGER

that's got 4 inputs and one out.  you want the other way around right?
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Should go either direction. The DOD mixer is labeled the same. This one has a boost (bonus!)

Discö Rice

RAGER

Also i have and use the Radial Big shot.  It's a quality device.  But I don't use it for three amps.
No Focus Pocus

Discö Rice

Maybe it's reversible if it's completely passive - but would a powered mixer only go one way?

RAGER

Quote from: Discö Rice on November 29, 2011, 07:25:33 PM
Maybe it's reversible if it's completely passive - but would a powered mixer only go one way?

I can't say for sure but my brain tells me yes because of overload handling and diodes and other such gadgetry.  I don't really know the theory, I'm an autodidact
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

The DOD def. goes both directions, as long as you use the correct bi-directional cables*. I have the DOD one and can guarantee it.

*that part is a joke.

RAGER

Quote from: Lumpy on November 29, 2011, 07:35:46 PM
The DOD def. goes both directions, as long as you use the correct bi-directional cables*. I have the DOD one and can guarantee it.

*that part is a joke.

Hush. He's a drummer.  Let's sell him some bi-directional cables
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

No expert here either but I think these passive devices dont have diodes and such.
They are literally just jacks , switch and wire. Ive built a few aby boxes...I'll use a resistor if im putting in an led but thats it.

RAGER

But running multiple amps like that without isolation transformers can give you wicked hum and some other shit that aint nice
No Focus Pocus

Discö Rice

Can I use this device with a bi-directional cable to send a signal to my DVD rewinder?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

I've only used it with electronics, 4 into one solid state amp, so I can't comment on wicked hum.

Discö Rice

Perhaps I should take a moment to collect my thoughts, and enjoy some hossafey with a side of flim-flam sauce.

RAGER

Quote from: RAGER on November 29, 2011, 07:43:41 PM
But running multiple amps like that without isolation transformers can give you wicked hum and some other shit that aint nice

I was serious about this statement though.
No Focus Pocus