Quartz

Started by Damocles74, November 30, 2011, 09:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damocles74

Produced by Iommi!  It seems like this band didn't make it because they couldn't decide what they wanted to be, so they tried everything ;D

Just as heavy as Sabbath (coming out of the spoken word break just like Supernaut!)

The nwobhm route

80's "ROCKY" montage workout music??

Straight up Boston rip-off, but still cool

Redditor Lucis Aeternae

Isabellacat

I Love QUARTZ! \m/

great band and very underrated. actually one of the earliest NWOBHM bands.

GodShifter

Quartz is meh. They always reminded me of Demon or maybe Magnum. Bands, as you said, that couldn't decide what they want to do (or, better said, what would make them more popular so they changed their style a lot).

vinyldinosaurus

The first album is a little uneven. Stand Up And Fight is their all time classic.

EddieMullet

Listen to the song "Mainline Riders" by Quartz then listen to the song "Heaven and Hell" by Black Sabbath.

So similar they are.

the common factor in both songs is Tony Iommi and Geoff Nichols.

Damocles74

I'll never understand why Quartz got the big push and Necromandus (also produced by Iommi)...didn't?
Redditor Lucis Aeternae

Isabellacat

Quote from: EddieMullet on December 03, 2011, 01:50:03 PM
Listen to the song "Mainline Riders" by Quartz then listen to the song "Heaven and Hell" by Black Sabbath.

So similar they are.

the common factor in both songs is Tony Iommi and Geoff Nichols.

Similar basslines. It's also rumored that Craig Gruber from Quartz played bass on Heaven and Hell instead of Geezer.

goldwater

craig gruber was'nt in quartz. he was the bass player in elf with dio. he played with sabbath for only a couple of weeks, during the writting process for heaven and hell. quartz was a good band. all 3 full lengths have great moments. especially stand up and fight.
we all lost in 64

vinyldinosaurus

Craig Gruber did play on the awesome Ozz album from 1980 though...

EddieMullet

I thought Geoff Nichols was the bass player for Quartz before becoming Sabbath's invisible keyboardist.

GodShifter

^Same here. Gruber, though,  also played with Gary Moore, as I recall.

Nichols was the keyboardist for Sabbath for a long period of time, as most people know. He also filled in for Geezer on the Heaven and Hell tour, as I recall, for some dates (though why I can't remember, exactly).