Broken/Repaired Gibson VS New Gibson

Started by fallen, December 02, 2011, 12:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallen

I know everyone says don't get a Gibson and it seems obvious why since most of them I see are either cracked or broken... still I need to own a Gibson SG.

I have pickups and some misc parts on a Les Paul copy that has a cracked headstock so I've been looking at neck/bodies on eBay.

Would you get a previously broken and repaired Gibson project or just pick up a new one for a few bucks more?

MikeyT

Don't have any these days, but have owned at least 10 Gibson electrics.

None of them were top of the line (I was too impatient to wait/save enough $$ to find/buy the really sweet ones; yes, I'm childish like that); but they were all good. None were cracked or broken/repaired.

You should buy a used non-broken/repaired Gibson and take extra precautions not to drop it.

Watch ebay and Craig's List and wait for some poor guy who desperately needs the cash or just doesn't care/wants to sell quickly; unless you have money to burn.

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Mr. Foxen

A Gibson that has head the headstock snapped off and has been repaired properly is stronger than a unbroken one, at least according to Buzz, not as strong as metal though. The properly part is the catch.

blackkrosses

I know a bunch of guys here diss on the gibby's but my main guitar is a Gibson SG Special with a 50's neck. I really like it. You can score the faded brown and red used for cheap. Around $400-$500. If you want more options like binding or gloss finish you may want to try a repaired standard. Depends on your price range.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?page=1&sort=price&dir=asc&srch&q=gibson%20sg&distance=100

Chovie D

I have a 72 SGII, the neck has never been broken. its a great guitar. it has the volute on the neck , maybe why its lasted so long.
I also have an 83 explorer.

Id be patient and try an find a nice vintage SG that hasnt had its neck broken yet. but thats me. Ive been holding off years now for certain guitars and still lookin. I can wait forever for the miracle deals...i guess because I have so much shit already.

i dont think you'll regret buying a gibson SG.

The Shocker

Quote from: Chovie D on December 02, 2011, 11:19:13 AM
I have a 72 SGII, the neck has never been broken. its a great guitar. it has the volute on the neck , maybe why its lasted so long.
I also have an 83 explorer.

Id be patient and try an find a nice vintage SG that hasnt had its neck broken yet. but thats me. Ive been holding off years now for certain guitars and still lookin. I can wait forever for the miracle deals...i guess because I have so much shit already.

i dont think you'll regret buying a gibson SG.

I had a 71 SG100 with an intact neck. Loved the way it looked and sounded, but that neck joint was fucking ridiculous.  Mine had the volute as well and it wasn't like the guitar got the white glove treatment.

VOLVO)))

Broken necks are the only way Ill ever find my way into a high dollar Gibby. I'd probably throw 800 bucks at an LP Custom with a broken neck, and a decent repair.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

I know everyone says don't get a Gibson

I don't know who these people are but i don't want anything to do with them.  My 78 Les Paul Standard is my #1.  All 11.9 pounds of her.  Wouldn't trade her for nothing.  I also have a 1960 RI with a neck repair on layaway at the moment.  that will probably be my #2
No Focus Pocus

Metal and Beer

There's plenty of room for opinions either way, since there's plenty of excellent Gibsons that are easily among the best guitars ever made, and there are lots of lemons that don't deserve the name on the headstock.
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

fallen

Sounds like I'm either going to go for a really nice looking SG that's in mint shape and has been really well taken care of.... or a beater project guitar that's already been cracked.

It seems like if it was a diagonal break at the headstock, IE the headstock bent forwards, they can be repaired well.

There just seems to be something about the tone of an all mahogany guitar. I don't have anything like it that can come near that sound.

Pissy

I'll tell you the truth.

The right guitar will fall into your lap.  Mine I got from one of my best friends, and he didn't care for it.  He got it as a trade for screen print work from a band.  It's a '77 SG that had a headstock break and was repaired well.  I paid $400 for it in 1998.

I have another one, a bass that is in the same boat that i got as a result of my shit getting stolen in 1996.  A guy was nice enough to let me borrow his bass for a couple months, before I bought it from him.  I paid him $500 for it.  It's a 1992 Music Man Stingray that is a beast, but I'm married to it.  It's mine, and it fell into my hands.  It's kismet.  There's no advice that will bring you the knowledge of yours.  Like a Banshee in Avatar.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Whoa, I had a few beers last night.  That sounds totally Dinger.
Vinyls.   deal.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

blackkrosses

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-SG-Project-No-Reserve-/290639507511?pt=Guitar&hash=item43ab76f037

Looks legit but I'm no expert. Guy lists it as a project because the body was sanded and the neck refinished. Claims the head stock isn't pitched enough but I know Gibson played with the pitch of the SG headstock to combat breakage.

moose23

Quote from: blackkrosses on December 03, 2011, 12:54:32 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-SG-Project-No-Reserve-/290639507511?pt=Guitar&hash=item43ab76f037

Looks legit but I'm no expert. Guy lists it as a project because the body was sanded and the neck refinished. Claims the head stock isn't pitched enough but I know Gibson played with the pitch of the SG headstock to combat breakage.

Looks quite similar to this one, same logo, bridge and tuners at least:

http://www.elderly.com/items/30U-12038.htm

fallen

Quote from: Pissy on December 03, 2011, 02:17:29 AM
I'll tell you the truth.

The right guitar will fall into your lap.

You guys had it right. I stopped searching around on eBay for parts guitars or whatever and then yesterday I ran into an ad on CL from a guy leaving town for a job out east, flying out tomorrow morning. Picked up a '91 3-knob SG Special in black, super cheap.

It has some issues for sure, paint chips, ugly knobs, but it plays nice and the pickups are great. There are also a bunch of stickers on the back so I'm going to have to bust out some Goo Gone or something. The whole thing needs a good cleaning.

hashbrowns

Sweet score man. That thing is pretty good looking. I like the simple stripped down look.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

fallen

It's pretty beat in real life, even for a 20 year old guitar, but it's a good player. Neck is round but not fat if you know what I mean.

Any SG players know how much the necks are supposed to flex on these things? The other set neck guitars I have are a PRS and an Explorer and they both have a lot more thickness at the neck joint.

hashbrowns

Thats the sort of guitars I like though. Real simple with no ornamentation and beat to shit. As long as it sounds and plays killer I'd say all those scuffs and shit just give it soul.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

blackkrosses

Looks cool!

Flex? Like how much it will actually bend audibly? Maybe I'm confused but I grab my neck and bend notes around all the time, even if it is a bit nerve racking.
I read that Les Paul's biggest complaint about these guitars is that they were too thin. In the body and at the neck joint.