Peavey butcher paired with peavey 2x15

Started by hashbrowns, December 03, 2011, 03:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hashbrowns

So recently I bought a peavey butcher head from the 80's. Been shopping around for a cab that can handle it when I'm running a big muff and a guitar tuned down to B. Found one of the old peavey 2X15 cabs from the 70's with Black Widow speakers. I think I've seen a couple guys on here using them but they were bass players. Anyone used one of these for guitar? I figured it would be good for fuzzy raunchy downtuned sludge.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

SpaceTrucker

I got a peavey black widow 18 and for guitar it aint too bad, black widows have a wide range on em. especially if you got aluminum dustcaps.

hashbrowns

Awesome man I bet an 18 for guitar would sound pretty interesting. My line of thought was that I need an inexpensive cab that can handle my peavey butcher breathing fuzzy fire at 10 and not get damaged. The speakers in this cab are rated at 350 watts each so that makes 700 together so I figured it would be pretty much impossible to blow them out with the head I'm using. Also I was thinking that it might give me better bass response cause I tune down to B and the little solid state 2X12 I'm using has jensens in it and they definitely cannot handle the amount of fuzz and bass I'm trying to put through them. Almost sounds like they're slowly breaking cause when I first started fuzzing that amp out it sounded pretty gnarly not amazing but definitely really nasty and distorted. However after about 4 months of rehearsals it seems to be really losing it's edge and farting out a lot more.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

blackkrosses

I like 15's on guitar. Hard to find the right one's sometimes though. I run a Fender Bassman 2x15 from the 70's. The one's that are 4x12-sized. I believe it being a pine cabinet holds the secret to it's clarity.

rayinreverse

i used to play a butcher through a sunn 2x15. it was awesome for chords, but the 15's seemed to get a little muffled and woofy when I did intricate note stuff.

hashbrowns

Okay well thats cool. My band right now is really almost all power chords I don't really do a lot of intricate stuff. I figure when the time comes I'll get a good 4x12 for that sort of thing.

johnny problem

My friend has a 1x15 Peavey cab with a Black widow that's made for bass guitar.  Sounds really good with guitar, but intricacies are definitely lost.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: hashbrowns on December 03, 2011, 03:25:22 AM
So recently I bought a peavey butcher head from the 80's. Been shopping around for a cab that can handle it when I'm running a big muff and a guitar tuned down to B. Found one of the old peavey 2X15 cabs from the 70's with Black Widow speakers. I think I've seen a couple guys on here using them but they were bass players. Anyone used one of these for guitar? I figured it would be good for fuzzy raunchy downtuned sludge.
Yes. We played a show where I couldn't fit a pair of 4x12's into the wagon, along with my cabs, but a pair of 2x15's went in great. Both guitar players used a 2x15 one with a VK and one with a Marshall I think. They sounded great.

I have a single 1x15" in the practice space for visiting guitartits, rather than a 4x12.

hashbrowns

Awesome thanks for the advice guys keep it coming like to hear people who have experience with these amps. This is sounding like a good investment for me so far. Honestly I kind of like the idea of a sort of shitty gnarly sound for the kind of music I do. As long as it can hold up to the volume and distortion while bludgeoning people I think it'll work. Tbh I can't really play single note runs or pretty chords through my setup anyway cause the muff turns it into a mess of noise so I don't think that will be a problem. My riffs are more weedeater than sleep.

VOLVO)))

I use my 800 out of a Kustom 2x15 from time to time. Sounds great.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

blackkrosses

Quote from: hashbrowns on December 03, 2011, 03:21:53 PM
...Honestly I kind of like the idea of a sort of shitty gnarly sound for the kind of music ...

I'm with you there. The kind of a honk I get out of the 15's I can't duplicate with other speakers. My 4x12 has tears in two of the speaker cones (thanks, pitbull) and I like how gnarly it gets as well. I have cheap taste.

Metal and Beer

I like a 2x15 with a 4x12 better than two 4x12's
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

hashbrowns

Quote from: Metal and Beer on December 03, 2011, 11:50:41 PM

That was definitely going through my head too. Was thinking that this cab would be able to handle all of my butchers power for now and once I get a 4x12 it will sit well in the stack giving it a little more wallop. Plus if you guys say this sounds nasty and honky then it'll suit me fine. Makes it sound uglier and thats kind of what I go for.

rayinreverse

Quote from: Metal and Beer on December 03, 2011, 11:50:41 PM

yes this sounds awesome. so does 2x15 and a 2x12 as well.

Lumpy

Should be a no-risk or low-risk experiment, since you can find the Peavey 2x15 pretty cheap, and you can probably flip it and recoup your investment.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

hashbrowns

So what would be a good price that I could easily flip it for? The guy wanted 300 but I thought that was way too much. Should I offer 150 or 200? How much would I be able to sell it for? I'm willing to pass on the deal I don't need to make money off it necessarily.

Hemisaurus

Depends where you are, I paid $150 for my first one, maybe about 6-8 years ago, and then $50 for my next one a year or so later. I've seen one go locally for $75 and another around MO for $50 again, but I've also seen people try and get $200+ for them.

I'm seeing them for $100-$180 on musicgoround which is great if you are near one, but they're $100 to ship if you're not.

hashbrowns

Goddamn you guys are gear deal wizards. I've been looking for a cabinet on craigslist for about a year and I've never seen a cab for less than 200. I guess I should just start giving people low ass offers and see if I can get anything that way.

hashbrowns

Is that how you guys get these good deals? Just offer people way less than the original price? Or do you actually see stuff posted at those prices.

Lumpy

I see Peavey cabs listed for 150. The bro price is less than that. Under 100 and everything works = steal. ---> IMO.

That "all of craigs list" search website is helpful:

http://www.allofcraigslist.com/results.html?cx=003862287657417149498%3Am7-pth5zzt0&client=pub-7049007453439852&cof=FORID%3A11%3B&ie=UTF-8&q=peavey+2x15&btnG=Search
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: hashbrowns on December 04, 2011, 05:40:18 PM
Is that how you guys get these good deals? Just offer people way less than the original price? Or do you actually see stuff posted at those prices.
Yep, posted prices, I don't like to dicker with price, and if someone tries it on me, I just ignore them. So $50, 75, 50 posted.

I think I actually gave the guy an extra $10 or $20 because he threw in 3 extra 15" drivers with the deal, two of them being Sunn Transducers.

hashbrowns

Yeah around here people are scandalous with there starting price. I'll only offer less if they say (or best offer) and the price is obviously bullshit.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: hashbrowns on December 04, 2011, 08:49:29 PM
Yeah around here people are scandalous with there starting price. I'll only offer less if they say (or best offer) and the price is obviously bullshit.

Well for $300, your cheaper to get the $100 cab from musicgoround.com and paying the $100 shipping. You could try telling the guy that, I'll give you $150 because for $200 I can get one shipped here from Minnesota or wherever it was.

NY / Jersey / Brooklyn, they want to rip you off, I did see a Sunn 215 cab, with new drivers for $200 on a NJ craigslist though, think it was an old ad though.

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/msg/2721107700.html

blackkrosses

If you're in The South you don't get shit for your Peavey. They're made is MS and cloggin' up the gutters there. This is awesome for gear heads because they're sturdy and generally "ok-sounding" if not GREAT sounding.