Main Menu

Blacktop telecaster

Started by hayseed, December 05, 2011, 04:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayseed

Hey guys. Its been a while since i posted or checked in around here. Been a shitty year and I took a little time off from playing. But I am back on the warhorse and ready to fire up the Marshall. I figure its time for a new ax as well!

I decided to check out the Fender Blacktop series Telecasters recently. I picked up a Nashville Tele REALLY cheap and love they way it plays/feels but being a fan of SG's, I hate the "plicky" sound of it. So i saw the 2 humbuckers in the Blacktop series and had to try it.

After playing one(Black on black, maple fretboard) I decided that it may be one of the nicest guitars that i have ever played! I realize opinions differ but for $500 this thing just rules. Still feels like a Tele and still retains some Tele twang, but the humbuckers just thicken the hell out of it!

I want the silver on black with the rosewood fretboard(not real sure how much difference the fretboard wood makes but everything i have is rosewood so...). Fender is running an instant rebate of $50 right now so its even a bit cheaper than expected. I plan to order it this week.

Anyone using these or tried one out? I am curious as to what other players feel about about them.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

justinhedrick

i've played one at a store. it seemed REALLY solid and a good deal. I was not, however, a fan of the amp knobs on it, but that's a small nitpick.

apekillman

I love double humbucker teles.   I wanted a tele with the strat headstock.  Borrowed one.  Didn't keep it.

hayseed

Quote from: justinhedrick on December 05, 2011, 05:23:41 PM
i've played one at a store. it seemed REALLY solid and a good deal. I was not, however, a fan of the amp knobs on it, but that's a small nitpick.
I agree ...the knobs are hideous. The guy at the store that I tried mine out said that they are the same knobs from the Robert Cray signature Strat which are actually amp knobs. Stupid and ugly. That would definitely be the first modification, switch to regular chrome knobs ASAP!
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

justinhedrick

Quote from: hayseed on December 05, 2011, 09:48:18 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on December 05, 2011, 05:23:41 PM
I agree ...the knobs are hideous. The guy at the store that I tried mine out said that they are the same knobs from the Robert Cray signature Strat which are actually amp knobs. Stupid and ugly. That would definitely be the first modification, switch to regular chrome knobs ASAP!

hmm. robert cray strat might have them. i remember seeing them on the muddy waters tele. huge penis or not, that guys guitar is ugly.

hayseed

I am ordering it tomorrow! My Nashville Tele is sold and I now have the funds! I love new guitar time!