Main Menu

What about these drums?

Started by Harm, December 13, 2011, 02:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harm

Honestly, would you have heard they are e-drums if i hadn't told you?
More faithfulfew right here.

Discö Rice

yes, but don't take it personally.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Corey Y

Sounds ok, there's just not a lot of dynamics to the cymbals. Especially the ride, sounds almost like the same hit over and over. In a mix it probably wouldn't be noticeable to most listeners. If you have any way to tweak the velocity on the ride I think that would improve it.

What are you using now?

Corey Y

...or is that the real high hat going throughout? In that case you just have solid right hand technique  :P

Chovie D

drummers always seem able to tell. guitarists like me are like ..yeah sounds real! :P

Harm

Quote from: Corey Y on December 13, 2011, 02:45:00 PM
...or is that the real high hat going throughout? In that case you just have solid right hand technique  :P
It is indeed, i've been practicing since i was a teenager and when i started drumming it came in handy.  ;D

Harm

Quote from: Chovie D on December 13, 2011, 02:46:14 PM
drummers always seem able to tell. guitarists like me are like ..yeah sounds real! :P
Well, the hi hat is real which makes it sound much more realistic to my opinion.

Naxzul

The reverb helps and to the casual listener it'd sound real. Not bad though, I've heard way worse.
http://deadriverrunsdry.bandcamp.com/
www.facebook.com/DeadRiverRunsDry

liquidsmoke

Sounds like drums recorded in a pro studio. I'd say that's a good thing. I would never have guessed they were electronic.

Harm

Thanks.

@ liquidsmoke, are you a drummer?

blackkrosses

The cymbals. That's the first give-away. Snare sounds good, but fake. Good drum sound otherwise, though, I'm not ganna hate on drum machines.

EddieMullet

Sounds like 80's studio drums, my personal preference would be less reverb, but that's just what I like.

I've run a drum machine through a PA(for highs and mids) and a bass amp(for the lows) and mic'ed the PA speakers and the bass amp and that kind of helped.  The songs ultimately sucked ass(just badly written songs) but the drum tracks sounded decent.

Pundan

I couldn't tell the difference, then again I'm not a drummer.

giantchris

Couldn't tell the difference but I'm not a drummer.  I will say that in a mix it'd be very difficult to tell its e drums.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Harm on December 14, 2011, 01:09:55 PM
Thanks.

@ liquidsmoke, are you a drummer?

No, I can only play very simple beats. Drumming amazes me.

Harm

Quote from: blackkrosses on December 14, 2011, 07:04:32 PM
The cymbals. That's the first give-away.
You're wrong cause like i stated earlier they are real.

Harm

Quote from: liquidsmoke on December 15, 2011, 12:21:27 AM
The point you made about the drums sounding like they are from a pro studio is exactly what it's supposed to sound like and what i have in mind with them. I have been experiencing with e-drums for a bit now and to my opinion the only thing that can't be replaced are the cymbals.

blackkrosses

Quote from: Harm on December 15, 2011, 04:47:55 AM
Quote from: blackkrosses on December 14, 2011, 07:04:32 PM
The cymbals. That's the first give-away.
You're wrong cause like i stated earlier they are real.

The ride is real? You have the most even touch ever then.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Harm on December 15, 2011, 04:55:41 AM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on December 15, 2011, 12:21:27 AM
The point you made about the drums sounding like they are from a pro studio is exactly what it's supposed to sound like and what i have in mind with them. I have been experiencing with e-drums for a bit now and to my opinion the only thing that can't be replaced are the cymbals.

Most drummers will figure it out the moment you play a fill. Acoustic drums don't resonate like the ones in your post (not talking about the reverb, just the natural attack and decay of a drum) when played fast. Another dead giveaway is if the meter's a little shaky but somehow it sounds like a perfect hit every time.

Harm

Quote from: blackkrosses on December 15, 2011, 09:47:41 AM
The ride is real? You have the most even touch ever then.
I wasn't conscious of it earlier, but thanks!

Harm

Quote from: Discö Rice on December 15, 2011, 11:18:03 AM
Most drummers will figure it out the moment you play a fill. Acoustic drums don't resonate like the ones in your post (not talking about the reverb, just the natural attack and decay of a drum) when played fast. Another dead giveaway is if the meter's a little shaky but somehow it sounds like a perfect hit every time.
Keep in mind that the drums in my post are also compressed and mastered, which obviously blows up the frequencies that you don't hear when playing an acoustic set. Plus the sounds of the software are from real kits and recorded with the best material. I may need some more examples to prove my point, but i am quite confident it could work for a studio album.

Harm

Discö Rice

Right, but it's always going to sound like a repeated sample of a perfect hit, or a limited range of perfect hits varying slightly in still unrealistic resonance. Not even a mastered snare drum with blown up frequencies has exactly the same attack every time you hit it, especially when you're varying in dynamics, which I do a lot when I'm playing fills.

Like this song, in which Dave Lombardo essentially solos through the all the choruses.

The first chorus is at 1:10, if you feel like skipping through. Tons of dynamics in the fills, realistic drum sound (no triggers), and from that clip, even if you didn't know it was Dave Lombardo, you can tell he uses two bass drums, as opposed to a double pedal. Even though it's mastered, with a touch of reverb and compression, it sounds organic.

Essentially we're talking about the difference between cloned hits being triggered and a real live player. It's noticeable. Why bother with that technology when better technology (real drums, microphones) already exists?

Harm