Homeland

Started by The Shocker, December 19, 2011, 11:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JkFlesh

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on December 04, 2013, 06:59:11 PM
Carrie, F Murray, Brody, the two tech guys and Mr Whitehouse are all humming along on one storyline.

The Senator character as foe to the CIA might be nice but as written and as acted it's not working.  I wish they'd find something for Quinn to do.  Carrie's pregnancy story is horrible and needs to go.

Shockingly, I agree with you on all points, Shaft.  Quinn is severely underused.  He's almost too nice now, too.  I liked him better when he had a little more edge.  The pregnancy story is beyond stuppid.  Fortunately, I really like the Iranian mole and hopefully he will be at the forefront for at least the next episode or two.

MadJohnShaft

This season is going to end with some deaths. There's only 2 left so they need to do something splashy.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

jmucke

What EZ said. Single season would have been great but the series becomes more and more ridiculous with each season. And number 3 is all over the place and uneven, start a story-line or introduce a character and then forget about it for two or three episodes. And don't get me started on the whole daughter drama.

MadJohnShaft

What?

Brody's explanation to Iranian intelligence wasn't very convincing, good thing Nazir was there to grease it through. I am not convinced that Carrie would just be free to wander around Tehran.  I liked her bossing around the Mossad agents.

ez

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on December 09, 2013, 08:08:38 PM
I am not convinced that Carrie would just be free to wander around Tehran.

Why not? Iran does have a tourism industry and it isn't exactly North Korea, though your Big Brother is probably telling you otherwise. And she's traveling with a Swiss passport - those will get you in anywhere.

I too think this season has picked up a bit. But on the whole I still think it should have ended with season 1.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

MadJohnShaft

Surely they know Carrie is a CIA agent. She was in the damn news and Saul testified about her to congress.

Anyway, Brody's proven adept at getting into tight places sure was prescient.

ez

I see your point. And I guess if they used facial recognition software at the Tehran airport, they'd have had to recognize her.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jmucke

God, what a trainwreck of a season. Felt like the showrunners and the writers were totally clueless how to continue or develop the story. Season 2 was not very good but this one was atrocious. I want 10 hours of my life back.

MadJohnShaft

ez

Agreed. and why the fuck is there going to be a fourth season?

JkFlesh

I thought it was a strong ending.  A bit melodramatic and sentimental, but I was okay with that.  A great death for Brody.  Overall, a much better season than 2.

If you Europeans keep watching the show after all your complaining, I will fucking laugh.

I am curious to see where season 4 goes.  I hope they write Saul back in as part of the private sector, working for a defense contractor or something.  That would add an interesting layer.

ez

Quote from: JkFlesh on December 16, 2013, 08:53:11 PM
I thought it was a strong ending.  A bit melodramatic and sentimental, but I was okay with that.  A great death for Brody.

Agreed up until the whole fence climbing drama shouting thing. Ruined the entire death scene. 

QuoteOverall, a much better season than 2.

Maybe, but that's not saying much at all. And the season was only partly redeemed by the last couple episodes. First half of the season was treacleville.

QuoteIf you Europeans keep watching the show after all your complaining, I will fucking laugh.

Chances are, I'll be bored enough to give the next season a chance. Hell, I was bored enough to wade through this year's season of Sons of Anarchy.

The whole fall TV season has gotten to be pretty shitty these past two years. Only Boardwalk Empire was really any good.

QuoteI am curious to see where season 4 goes.  I hope they write Saul back in as part of the private sector, working for a defense contractor or something.  That would add an interesting layer.

I'm curious to see how they're going to try to salvage this show after that show ending epilogue they did last Sunday, and without the gloriousness of potential Morena Baccarin nudity to make up for the shittiness of their plot lines.

jmucke

I am out. I thought that they were finished and was rather surprised to see that a fourth season is planned. Not going to bother with it. Carrie was a really interesting character in the first season but is totally unbelievable and annoying by now. The coming and going of characters and story-lines in season 3 was just lame television. As was everything in Iran.

My hopes are on "True Detective" (only eight episodes, going to be over in a heartbeat) and I got a couple of episodes of Mob City somewhere on my harddrive. Anyone seen that?

ez

Never heard of either. At the moment a French show called 'Les Revenants' is keeping me thoroughly entertained, and Treme has started up again which is always nice. Really looking forward to Justified in January, and The Americans and House Of Cards in February.

jmucke

Quote from: ez on December 17, 2013, 05:27:56 AM
Never heard of either. At the moment a French show called 'Les Revenants' is keeping me thoroughly entertained, and Treme has started up again which is always nice. Really looking forward to Justified in January, and The Americans and House Of Cards in February.

Les Revenants was pretty cool, even bought the Mogwai-soundtrack. Forgot about The Americans, that was good too. First two episodes of the new Treme-season are on the harddrive.

Mob City is a TNT-crimie-series created by Frank Darabont and True Detective is a HBO-series with Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey, directed by Cary Fukunaga (Sin Nombre)

MadJohnShaft

Well that ended all right.  I'm waiting for The Americans and Orphan Black (the lead just got a best actress nod   so that should help the show) to come back.

ez

Quote from: jmucke on December 17, 2013, 06:10:52 AM
Mob City is a TNT-crimie-series created by Frank Darabont and True Detective is a HBO-series with Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey, directed by Cary Fukunaga (Sin Nombre)

I'll check out both. And I'm also looking forward to the next season of Orphan Black.

jmucke

Orphan Black was good too. Think we hijacked the thread by now.

JkFlesh

Hm, you Euros may like American t.v. more than I do.

I am intrigued by True Detectives.  Mob City, meh unless proven otherwise, I am tired of gangster shows/movies, including Boardwalk.

Justified is one of the most consistently entertaining shows out there, it always delivers.

Treme is really good, I look forward to the final season.

I am watching season 2 of American Horror Story on Netflix and it's surprisingly good, and quite disturbing in parts.  A big improvement on season 1 so far.

I have never seen The Americans, but have heard good things.

ez

I just like good TV a lot more than most people I know do. It just happens that a lot of it comes from the US.

There's enough good and really good stuff coming from other places as well: Luther, Top of the Lake, Wallander, Forbydelsen, Les Revenants to name a few.

JkFlesh

Quote from: ez on December 17, 2013, 10:57:18 AM
I just like good TV a lot more than most people I know do. It just happens that a lot of it comes from the US.

There's enough good and really good stuff coming from other places as well: Luther, Top of the Lake, Wallander, Forbydelsen, Les Revenants to name a few.

I really liked Top of the Lake, and have heard a lot of good things about The Returned.

I just ordered a UK BluRay of Broadchurch, which a friend has been raving about.

ez

Check out Luther if you haven't already. Probably my favourite crime series.

Broadchurch looks interesting and has been queued for download. Same with first episodes of Mob City.

jmucke

Broadchurch is OK to good. Its a mix of Twin Peaks and Rosamunde Pilcher which is fascinating in a way but too mainstream at times.

Another good British series is The Fall with Gillian Anderson and the guy who landed the Shades-Of-Grey-role.

JkFlesh

I was disappointed with The Fall.  An interesting set-up but it didn't really go anywhere.  A bit tired of serial killer stories as well.

MadJohnShaft

I've got 11 'The Wires' to go and then I got nothing to watch.