So THIS is why we're all so svelte on here!

Started by justJon, December 19, 2011, 07:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justJon

A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

yesca

thats something i need to work on! damn you stamina. good thing i don't play drums for a band.

Hemisaurus

I don't play drums, but I do wear a funky mask :D

apekillman

I've put on a good 15 to 20 lbs. since the serious band broke up a few years back.  Now, the new band practices once a week and it's  tons faster tempo stuff.  I need a few breaks during the 45 minute set.  Fucking pathetic.  I hate being the drummer!

SpaceTrucker

I just stand and try not to fall on my ass cause my balance sucks. Thats a sport in itself. Like standing upright on a moving bus. I still can't do it right.

Hemisaurus

Sometimes I think I should shave my head, having long hair seems to make me really off balance.

VOLVO)))

I practice with marching sticks, and switch to 2bs or the 17 american metal classic sticks, and can fly/not get out of breath because of it.

Practice with marching sticks.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

apekillman

I used to practice with marching sticks on a pad.  When I cared about trying to improve as a player.  Now, I'm in my 40's and only play at practice.  It's a catch 22.  I don't get better cuz I don't practice alone.  But my limbs take less of a beating.

cat shepard

I would like to play drums in a good band. And have my own room every night because im the drummer and im weird, and the rest of the band wouldn't even care if I was really around because they were way into my drumming.  This isn't real life.

Discö Rice

I practice with marching sticks, but they're the same sticks I play with in a live setting.  That way I only have to buy and get used to one kind of stick, and I figure if I can practice for 3-5 hours with those sticks, I can play a 40 minute show without any worries.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

VOLVO)))

I care about my drums too much to play them with marching sticks. 2b's feel like pencils to me after playing these fatties, they weigh about half a pound.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

You're playing Vic Firth Corpsmasters, no? The Ralph Hardimon model?

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Those are good sticks. I might trade some of the girth for some extra length, though. Something like 18", .652.

Discö Rice

then there's these. They're too short for me, but they're monstrous.

http://www.promark.com/products/view/txdc3sw/

Length: 17"
Diameter: 0.728"

I'm holding a pair right now. I've tried to use them, but they're a little cloddy for my taste.

SpaceTrucker

I so want to learn to play the drums, can you start out on just a practice pad, or snare drum? or would you learn bad technique.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

apekillman

I would say learning on a pad or snare first is Avery good idea.  You get all those rudiments and shit down first and you're golden.

justJon

Pad/snare is a great way to learn hand/wrist technique, but you won't get the four limb interdependence/independence that you'll need eventually.

That said, a pad+sticks can be had for $30-$40. A full drumkit, even a cheapie that you'll want to replace immediately will run you 5-10+ times that.
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

liquidsmoke

Drumming is brutal, I should use it as my winter cardio workout. I think playing guitar and singing at the same time is draining as well but it's not the same.

SpaceTrucker

Guess I better get my neighbor to set up his drumkit! too bad the man works 24 7.

Ayek

I think playing in a rock band is even listed in the weightwatchers book, with a points value and everything. Can't remember if it distinguished between instruments or not.

SpaceTrucker

Playing any instrument standing up is a workout. Maybe not much of one, but better than sitting at home watching t.v.