favorite music books

Started by gnombient, December 22, 2011, 01:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diasdegalvan

Gregg Allman's autobiography My Cross To Bear comes out May 1st for any ABB fans here.

Got two music books that I haven't read but intend to Hank Williams: The Biography and Skydog: The Duane Allman Story.

alfie

Just reading the Mark Evans book (at the same time as Ubik by Philip K Dick) love it so far, the story behind Bon turning up at the Countdown TV show in drag - having seen that video always thought it was something they did regualrly back then, but no, he just did it without telling any of the others - fucking excellent, have some of that.

Interested by the Young Brothers apparent coldness/glumness, apart from sporadic shared joy. Fascinating reading this level of detail of a band who have been in my life for 30 years, and I am only about 50 pages in.
Are you morbid?

The Shocker

Fixing to read Popoff's book on UFO.  Already a little disappointed that he only spends 3 pages on the pre-Schenker days, but he's not into space rock.

I,Galactus

Hands down favorite.  The UK obscenity trial transcriptions were especially uproarious (keeping in mind that there were men in powdered wigs reading Zappa lyrics aloud in extreeeeemely slow motion so that the judges could record them in longhand).
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

neighbor664

MichaelZodiac

I personally dug the hell out of Slash's autobiography, pretty good shit. The story about him ordering heroine while in rehab is a funny one.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

kippled

"Rock and the Pop Narcotic" by Joe Carducci.  Finally a book about music that really is about music instead of using music culture to investigate or describe sociology or contemporary culture, although it kinda ends up doing a little of that anyway.  You come away from this book with an idea of what the bands he talks about actually sound like instead of knowing what they think about politics and society, or who they are going to vote for.  Definately doesn't take any prisoners.

CanookieWookie

Quote from: GodShifter on March 10, 2012, 08:34:26 PM
Quote from: black on January 19, 2012, 02:15:33 PM
Like many of these band bios written by just one member, you have to figure in butthurt as well as one-sidedness. This book if rife with both. I enjoyed the "insider" peeks, and Don Felder's childhood is interesting. The guy developed his chops and rep early on. Had some rough times with marriage, kids and cash, but hit the jackpot with the Eagles.
The bulk of the book however seems to be a lot of him whining about how unfair he was treated by "The Gods" (frey and Henly). Felder has a point, but rather than getting a decent manager or even standing up to these cats with his beefs, he chooses to be kind of a pussy/stoner about it and cash his checks (which were/are quite hefty). It's interesting to read about the inner workings and politics of a giant band like this, and "Fingers" Felder gives up a lot of the goods, albeit with a crybaby slant (imo). I say that unless you're a big Eagles fan, check this out from the library, get it on a Kindle (where the price is much lower than a hard copy), buy it used or borrow from a friend.

I very much agree with your assessment here, black. I just finished the book tonight and while I enjoyed a lot of it, Felder becomes pretty hard to take by the end of it. By the last 20 or so pages, I was literally rolling my eyes at some of his whining about his perceived ill treatment by Henley and Frey ("The Gods"). <-- He uses that phrase so much in the book that after a time it's like, "enough!".

I love rock biographies and this one was interesting, as you said, about the inner workings of a huge corporation that is the Eagles. They're not a band, but more of a business entity for sure. No way I can take their music seriously anymore (at least not anything past The Long Run). But, back to the book, it's pretty obvious that Felder has a major ax to grind against Henley and Frey and he makes that abundantly clear in the book. Never the less, the dude is rich & set for life, so it's hard to feel too sorry for him. Besides, he could always quit at any juncture when he was unhappy in the band, but preferred the paychecks to his integrity, so boo hoo.

I was hoping for more details & info about the "gods".  Felder did come off like a whiner, however I guess he has reason to.  A 3 out of 5.

I am now ready Iommi's Iron Man. I can only hope it is better with information, songs etc..

Woody

Rhythm Oil by Stanley Booth is an excellent book. If you have any interest in blues, R&B, jazz and the beginnings of rock & roll it's required reading. Same for just about all of Peter Guralnick's books but especially Feel Like Going Home, Lost Highway and Sweet Soul Music. His 2 part biography of Elvis Presley is also outstanding. They're both worth reading even if you're not an Elvis fan for the historical information.

One of the best music bios I've ever read is Raising Cain about Johnny Winter. It's very well researched and Johnny gave the author many exclusive interviews. Very well written, which is unusual in this field.

One to avoid is Ron Wood's autobiography. Borrowed it from the library but stopped reading when I saw that he referred to Zigaboo Modeliste as the drummer in Booker T. & The MG's. I figured it wasn't going to get any accurate information after I saw that.

The Shocker

Just ordered The Saga of Hawkwind.  Really hoping it is good.

CanookieWookie

Finished reading Iommi's book. Expected more. I am now reading Ace Frehleys. I can only hope he talks about all the booze and drugs he did.

The Shocker

Quote from: CanookieWookie on August 13, 2012, 04:16:15 PM
Finished reading Iommi's book. Expected more. I am now reading Ace Frehleys. I can only hope he talks about all the booze and drugs he did.

Was it better than Ozzy's piece of shit?

CanookieWookie

I have not read Ozzy's book, but Iommi's did not provide as much detail as I would have liked.  He played it pretty safe.

Dunedin

Quote from: The Shocker on August 13, 2012, 02:07:45 PM
Just ordered The Saga of Hawkwind.  Really hoping it is good.

It is. You'll enjoy. Shit loads of info but written in an entertaining style.

Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

The Shocker

The denseness is a little intimidating, but it reads easy.

Dunedin

Quote from: The Shocker on September 03, 2012, 08:04:15 PM
The denseness is a little intimidating, but it reads easy.

I'm going to have to dig my copy out again. Did you know Stacia is now an artist and lives in Ireland?
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

Andrew Blakk

Damn I'm really a sucker for  bandbios... Well at least until they get famous and fuck up. And get religious in the end.

But still I love reading about the struggles, the commitment and the "counquer the world" approach. They always gives me more strenght to carry on regardless of everyday struggles. Hallelujah!!! :D

The last ones that was out of the ordinary:

Dave Mustaine: A life in metal  - Very interesting acctually!

AND

Turbonegro: Droger, deathpunk & denim. - That one really changed my view of the band (Which I had really high opinons of before though). Really, really good!
But I'm not sure if it's translated into english though.

Danny G

Not a music bio, but if you are a musician I cannot recommend enough to grab a copy of 'The Music Lesson' by Victor Wooten.

It's as much about life philosophy as it is about music and instruction.

Just, wow. Really changes the way you think about things.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

khoomeizhi

the neil young bio 'shakey' is a good read.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

mulekicker

Although I'm no fan of the Crue, the dirt is pretty great (just skip the last chapter from Tommy Lee)
Our Band Can Be Your Life...by Michael Azerrad.  The Butthole Surfers chapter is awesome (Gibby rubs dick on Jimmy Carter's daughters' suitcase handle.)
Fargo Rock City

The Bandit

Chuck Klosterman can suck the Bandit's dick.

Our Band is excellent. 

thisissomeguy

Maximum R&B - Richard Barnes. To this day, it's still the best book on The Who, imo. George Tremlett also wrote a good book on The Who in '74 that unfortunately never received a revised and updated edition.

On the Road with the Ramones - It's credited to Monte Melnick but mostly it's a collection of interview quotes from the Ramones and their associates. It's a great read though.

Strange Days - Patricia Kennealy Morrison. This woman really pisses off most Doors fans but she seems pretty cool to me. As she was a music journalist and later a record company ad copy writer in the late 60's and into the 70's she has lots of insider stories on bands other than the Doors. There's also some good drug taking memoirs in it. It goes back and forth between being very funny and very depressing and it holds up well to re-readings.

More intense than playing a game of Battleship with Roger Waters.

JuliaJ

Love The Dirt, and the Nikki Sixx book.

gritty_fingers

Quote from: CanookieWookie on August 14, 2012, 03:11:23 PM
I have not read Ozzy's book, but Iommi's did not provide as much detail as I would have liked.  He played it pretty safe.

Ozzy's book was much better. I respect Iommi but his biography was not a worthy read.

Right now now I am listening to Keith Richard's book on tape (Life). I got it at the library. So far, I'm at the point where he gets busted in Toronto. I'm enjoying it.
"Ginger People"