Main Menu

Black Tar Lung

Started by hashbrowns, December 22, 2011, 04:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hashbrowns

Was inspired by the faithful few thread to start my own sort of along those lines.

That's us just screwin around in rehearsal. Let me know what you guys think and if anyone in new jersey, philly, or new york needs an opening act we're always up for it.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

grimniggzy

Sweet riffage. You guys don't have a bassist?

hashbrowns

Hey thanks man. No we don't have a bassist. It's really tough to find band members here in jersey. If there's any bassists in jersey who digs this sort of really slow sludgey shit lookin for a band let me know.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

grimniggzy

I play bass, I'm in Philly and looking for jam mates. PM me.

bloodofkings

Where are you in Jersey? I'm in Red Bank. I might know someone who's looking to play bass in something.
I can't crap for shit.

hashbrowns

We rehearse in south brunswick. Also dude if you're involved in or know of any doom/stoner/psyche/hard rock/sludge bands around here let me know cause I'm trying to network with people around here that are sympathetic to this style. We're always trying to either open gigs for people or just go see them live to give some support and headbang.

bloodofkings

Ah man not sure my bud would travel up that way. He's in Lakewood. I'm surprised you're having trouble finding members. There's a ton I know in my neck of the woods looking to jam. Also your proximity to New Brunswick should leave you with no shortage of musicians. I'd really like to jam with you but my problem is finding time. As for bands, check out El Drugstore and A Fucking Elephant. They just put out a split I've been digging a ton. I just heard a great sludge type band at the rehearsal space tonight. I'm determined to find out who they are.
I can't crap for shit.

hashbrowns

Yeah well I mean I just moved to new jersey so I don't really have a network of friends to dip into here yet. I'll definitely check out those two bands thanks for the headsup.

Lumpy

Just play more shows. Eventually a dude will walk up and tell you that he's a bass player, and he likes your band (etc etc)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

hashbrowns

Yeah lump your probably right. Thats what our main plan is. We figure if we get the ball rolling on our own things will fall into place.

Harm

Nice to know my threads are inspiring!  ;D

I like you music like i posted on your channel, but your recording definitely needs to be improved.
How do you guys record? I almost hear no drums.
More faithfulfew right here.

hashbrowns

Oh haha this is just recorded using an onboard mic on a laptop. Nothing fancy just bare bones basics. Pretty soon we're going to put down some cash and record a real demo.

Harm

A decent recording doesn't have to be expensive.
More faithfulfew right here.

hashbrowns

Yeah we're not going to have to spend a whole lot of money yet but up until now we haven't really bothered cause we were still in the ironing out and rehearsing stage. Plus it was just convenient as the laptop would record video and audio and sync it. Plus any money we spend right now is going towards gear like every penny.

MichaelZodiac

I love recording band practice, every time I go over the recordings and figure some stuff out about the recording process, the structure of songs and the sound of the band. It's really helpful + the feeling when you're siked about your own songs is awesome.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

hashbrowns

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on December 23, 2011, 11:37:29 AM
I love recording band practice, every time I go over the recordings and figure some stuff out about the recording process, the structure of songs and the sound of the band. It's really helpful + the feeling when you're siked about your own songs is awesome.

Yeah dude I make sure to record almost every practice even if it's low quality and we're not playing anything new. I've learned a lot about my playing that way and how to improve my tone and phrasing. Plus when your in the room at full blast doom stoned as shit it's hard to actually closely listen to yourself or your rhythm section so when I go back and listen it gives me an idea of what we have to work on and who is struggling with what. It also helps keep me stoked like you said. I'll get lifted and listen to it trying to forget that it's my band and put myself in the listeners shoes. I've been pleasantly surprised when I've done that.

yesca

haha reminds me of us but like a year and half ago. we were like the same all we had was a sony handy cam for recording our jams cause we had a lot of cool improv shit and we spent all our money on drugs and gear till a buddy hooked me up with 2 sm57's to use since i already owned an interface but had no mics so it all worked out. just keep it up dudes everything eventually pans out with some road blocks here and there to slow ya down but just work through them.

hashbrowns

Yeah dude always hurdling blocks in the way. Thats awesome that you got hooked up with mics. What sort of interface do you use with them?

yesca

the interface i was talking about was a 100 dollar m-audio 1 xlr input interface very basic i upgraded to a motu mk1 recently

hashbrowns

Damn dude that thing looks like it has a lot of options available. how does that whole rig wind up sounding?

yesca

it sounds sweet. it was my buddy's (the one who hooked me up with some mics) you can hear how it sounds in our song "house of haze" on our fb/reverbnation in my sig if you wanna hear it.

justJon

Quote from: Lumpy on December 23, 2011, 02:57:05 AM
Just play more shows. Eventually a dude will walk up and tell you that he's a bass player, and he likes your band (etc etc)

This actually works. When our bass player abruptly quit the music scene earlier this summer, we continued on as a two-piece, (guitar/drums) I don't think we had played more than three shows that way before a bass player called us out of the blue. FWIW we didn't know what we were missing before. New guy is the shit.
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

hashbrowns

Quote from: justJon on December 25, 2011, 01:52:02 PM
Quote from: Lumpy on December 23, 2011, 02:57:05 AM

This actually works. When our bass player abruptly quit the music scene earlier this summer, we continued on as a two-piece, (guitar/drums) I don't think we had played more than three shows that way before a bass player called us out of the blue. FWIW we didn't know what we were missing before. New guy is the shit.

Yeah thats kind of the idea we had. We were thinking that we'll have more of a chance of drawing in competent players if they see we have the initiative and skills to get out there and play regardless of our line up. Plus if we're playing live fairly regularly it'll scare off people who aren't serious cause they won't be able to get the set list down pat.