Main Menu

Mic Stands Help maybe?

Started by cat shepard, December 25, 2011, 11:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cat shepard

I think I may have to pick up some straight stands (round based). One has to have like a quick release on the shaft, and would optimally be shaped like a horse shoe sorta type base. Any suggestions on where to get a deal on these? I actually don't know jack about buying gear as it's been years but I have to replace some lost in a production mishap. Thanks for any help. I will be checking musicians friend basically.

Hemisaurus

Used is the easiest way to go, I had to buy some stands a couple of years back, and got 4 for $40 from a guy who was winding up his band. If you specifically have to get the round based horseshoe style ones that stack, you're pretty screwed unless someone just happens to be selling them. Check craigslist for people trying to unload their PA / trailer / everything and see if their willing to split, I see those kinds of ad's round here a lot.

Hemisaurus

$50 is a little high, how about $27? Maybe you can buy a quick release clamp to add to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Sound-SMS5B-Round-Stackable/dp/B003U3F9XC

jibberish

tip: for outdoor use, use a camera tripod.  there are so many adjustments on a tripod that you can get the mic exactly how you like it, and it won't fall over unless you trip on the legs heh.

looks queer and ghetto, but srs advantage stability-wise.
(future outlaw pirate generator jammers take note, now that you know how not to electrocute yourself with a generator hee hee)

cat shepard

Quote from: jibberish on December 26, 2011, 12:43:04 AM
tip: for outdoor use, use a camera tripod.  there are so many adjustments on a tripod that you can get the mic exactly how you like it, and it won't fall over unless you trip on the legs heh.

looks queer and ghetto, but srs advantage stability-wise.
(future outlaw pirate generator jammers take note, now that you know how not to electrocute yourself with a generator hee hee)
I can only imagine what would happen if I replaced these stands with camera tripods. If I did and recorded it, would be comic gold. True gold. However I would be out of work until I found something. Generator work is so fresh and new to me that it's like these two, remember these two?

jibberish

if you are out in a field or snuck into stonehenge or something, i really cant come up with anything better. even on a slope you shorten one leg.  after so much trouble with my buddy's regular mic stand just on a rough stone patio, it was a "fuck this noise, what else can we use" deal.   

think of this angle. your generator frees you to sit on the top of a mountain for the raw inspiration and vibe you could get playing up there. or where ever.
  camera tripods are meant for being used anywhere too.  why would you limit your newfound freedom due to mic stand constraints?

also, 2 mic stands gets heavy. tripods are designed to be hauled around and weigh little vs a mic stand base.
so another hidden advantage that was designed into that tripod

cat shepard

i have to replace these stands that an ass lost. One day if I get it all together I will spring for you, me and a generator and camera stands to create the sound of music vibe high in a mountain forest but till then I gotta find these standards?

jibberish

heh :), ya i'm on a tangent to the actual premise of this thread and not really addressing your immediate needs.  just saying more as a side "mic stand" comment, for rough outdoors, the tripod is awesome. looks bad, but is awesome to use.