Main Menu

Lap steel pickup options

Started by SoupKitchen, December 26, 2011, 09:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoupKitchen

So my wife got me a '50s lap steel for Christmas. It sounds awesome, but the pickup is wrong. Someone replaced the stock pickup with what looks like a dogear P-90. Again, I love the sound, but the polepieces don't line up under the strings, and the highest string (D-I have it tuned to open D) is weak. Does anyone make a P-90 with a blade polepiece? Should I look at Tele/Fender Champion style pickups? Thanks.

Chovie D

what brand lap steel? how many strings?

lollar makes pickups wound specifically for steel. But you can use almost anything on a six string lap.
my national has some unknown humbucker and my old fender has a tele pickup.
Heres lollars stuff
http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=steel-guitar-pickups

SoupKitchen

Thanks, Chovie. I was hoping you'd chime in. It's a Silvertone made by Harmony. It original had a P-13 pickup which was made by Gibson for Harmony, but I guess someone yanked the pickup and the wiring harness and replaced it. Six strings, just your basic mid-50s student lap steel. I've been looking at Lollar's Chicago Steel 6 pickup, but I wasn't looking to spend $$$$$. I'm sure it sounds great, though.

Chovie D

Nice. Those old silvertones can sound and look great.
I'd probably try to just find something relatively inexpensive that was a guaranteed fit.
tele pickup or something?

The lollar steel pickups  are more for corksniffers, restorationists, and guys with more than 6 strings.
I once had a vintage steel pickup rewound for me and it only cost $20 or so.
You might wanna see if that P90 is vintage and worth rewinding  too?

to be honest i dont know alot about pickups.
steel pickups are supposedly wound a little hotter than guitar pickups whatever that means.
have fun, sounds like its gonna be a fun axe

RacerX

Livin' The Life.