Main Menu

Riffin'

Started by VOLVO))), December 26, 2011, 05:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

I don't really know how other people write songs, hell, I don't even know how I write songs. Recently, I've been kinda stuck in a rut, nothin' interesting falling off the fingers these days. I pick up a guitar every day just to feed the habit and keep my chops up, but recently it's just been dull and uninspired. Playin' Kyuss and Fu Manchu riffs for the hell of it. So, I hook up to do my daily fiddling, and I feel like total shit. Start noodling, keeping time, then bam, one good riff shows up. I loop it, start harmonizing it, and figuring out the melodies. Then wham, the next part falls into place... after about an hour, I have a full song, one I'm pleased as hell with... Fuzzy and catchy as fuck. I guess that's how the world works. I seem to write better when I feel like garbage, and it feels like garbage outside... The world is strange, when you're a stranger, I guess...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

i think your mood channels into your work.  just always have the recorder or audacity etc recording, and roll with whatever groove you fall into.  i get some gems like this too.  Even tho the bulk of it is mostly crap, but still, i was playing and practicing.  i really get lost in the like mathematical-fripp-zappa insanity a lot. holy crap can i crank out some garbage.

here's one for you, check out a couple old django reinhart videos and try his 2 finger technique lol. crazy new place to go, maybe you will find something in there. i like doing it just to actually hit coherant notes all the way up the fretboard. 

RAGER

All I've been doing for months is just riffin totally without the intent of song writing and stuff is just coming out of my fingers.  It's great to make yourself solo over a riff strictly in like myxolydian or something.  Make yourself figure different shit out of your comfort zone.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RAGER on December 26, 2011, 05:44:43 PM
All I've been doing for months is just riffin totally without the intent of song writing and stuff is just coming out of my fingers.  It's great to make yourself solo over a riff strictly in like myxolydian or something.  Make yourself figure different shit out of your comfort zone.

Get lessons, I'm doing it now. Playthisriff.com lessons until I find a teacher that's willing to teach a proficient player how to play guitar correctly.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

I have no desire to take lessons at this point.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

I think I need 'em, I suck in terms of knowing what the fuck is going on when I'm playing it. I know what sounds good, but I don't know what I'm doing...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

I know what you're saying.  It's just that for me it's not as important and after playing for 27 years allot of the theory you just kind of come by through attrition or musical osmosis if you will.

Drum lessons is another story.  I've been playing for quite a few years but I wouldn't mind going back and learning some fundamental techniques
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

27 years? christ... I'm only on 5ish. Started at the end of '06.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hashbrowns

Yeah man I've been playing for 7 years and Sunn i think you're on the edge of breakthrough. I know how you feel man. Up until 5 years into my playing I had a really hard time coming up with riffs. I would stumble upon good ideas but not be able to build upon them. However some time between 5 and 6 years of playing I broke through and now if I have a smoke or a coffee (that step is not essential but helps) and just sit down and focus for an hour or more I'm guaranteed to come up with a riff I like. Now I'm not sure how "good" my riffs are but I dig them and they come easy as hell. I've never had lessons so just stick with it sunn. I honestly think that music is more about determintation and work ethic than talent. I remember hearing some recording you posted here of you playing sort of a mellow ambient stoner number and it freaking ruled so I think you've got it man. Trust me you're going to come up on some breakthroughs soon man and everything in music has a way of falling into place.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

Ranbat

I like to use one of those cheap drum machines, like an old Casio, to write with. I'll start with a beat and just jam to it til I come up with something. Then maybe pick another to come up with the next riff. Loop software would be king though and I have used Garageband the same way.
As far as theory, I know some and it is helpful to break out of ruts. It gives you options. After learning scales and modes, I kind of found the ones I really like and play out of those. Pentatonic/Blues is my primary, but I like to throw in some diminished and harmonic minor stuff, and occasionally whole tone. My favorite modes are natural minor and phrygian. I don't step too far out on basic chord structure though. Major, minor and 7ths. I use a lot of inversions nowadays though because I try to let the bass cover the low end. So, my lowest note may be the fifth or third and I'll cover the higher octave root note while the bass takes the lower end. 
Meh :/

giantchris

Could always try learning things outside of your normal musical sphere like jazz/country/classical/pop/etc.  You can learn a lot of weird progressions/techniques that you can integrate into what you are doing.

VOLVO)))

I've been throwin' down on the country front for a while, All it's done it make my leads fluid, or totally choppy. I know those are complete opposites, but you'd understand if you saw it...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hashbrowns

fuck yeah man. this rules. This is you right sunn or am I confused? I love this track.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

VOLVO)))

Yup, That's me. That was a rare one, it was real similar to what I did today. I ended up recording it same day, then promptly forgot it.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hashbrowns

You should relearn it's a cool jam. How did you get the tone on that take?  I dig how it slowly progresses from clean to dirty.

VOLVO)))

Strat, neck pickup, open D dropped to C, dynamic pickin' and volume knob work.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hashbrowns

Sick dude it sounded really stratty to me actually. I can't seem to get good volume knob cleanup on the shitty ss combo I use. Can't wait to get a cab and use the butcher cause I think when I'm getting my gain from the power tubes I'll be able to get better cleanup from dynamics.

core9

I tend to enjoy smokin a bit first, I find it helps me break out of habits.  Opens up my mind (and fingers) to new ideas I would have never thought of.  Most important is ALWAYS have the recorder going, cuz you never know what little piece might end up being "THE RIFF".  I got  fucked up one day and wrote this song, well it pretty much wrote itself honestly.  It just kinda happened. ;)

zachoff

I get into pattern funks... Like I'll write something and think it's rad then record it, listen again, and it sounds like something else I've written because it's the same damn pattern w/ different meter/tempo.  I dunno.  I've been playing a long time too & lessons are probably out of the question.  One because I don't want to hear how many bad habits I have to work on changing & all that crap.  Two because I don't have a lot of time for music and would rather just jam.

Maybe change your tuning?  Instead of drop C or D play in C or D standard?

VOLVO)))

I've got six guitars here at the house, one in E, one is Eb, D standard, C standard, B standard, and one in Open D.

I'm covered for tunings! :D

I need to get my hands on a Zoom H4n.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

Quote from: Ranbat on December 26, 2011, 08:34:54 PM
I like to use one of those cheap drum machines, like an old Casio, to write with. I'll start with a beat and just jam to it til I come up with something. Then maybe pick another to come up with the next riff. Loop software would be king though and I have used Garageband the same way.
good call.
some random drum pattern on my alesis and often some different effect for the guitar can spark some stuff.

so, yeah, spark some "stuff", then fire up the drum beat and crazy effect, hit record and gooooo!

check out the 4th song on the myspace list (jabba the hutt's guts}.  this was done with some roland effects on my VS-880, and the on off footpedal for the drums to start them. it came out really cool for a random record n go
http://www.myspace.com/33220744

johnny problem

I'm getting on 5 years of playing.  I can feel my fingers and my mind itching to bust out a solo, I'm just unable to make the proper riff at this point.  So for now, I'm just concentrating on having fun and expanding my bag of tricks.  Frustration lays on thick some days, but my chin is up.  I find I'm a good idea man, but need a tremedous amount of help for direction.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: johnny problem on December 28, 2011, 10:52:30 AM
I'm getting on 5 years of playing.  I can feel my fingers and my mind itching to bust out a solo, I'm just unable to make the proper riff at this point.  So for now, I'm just concentrating on having fun and expanding my bag of tricks.  Frustration lays on thick some days, but my chin is up.  I find I'm a good idea man, but need a tremedous amount of help for direction.

Watch country guys play, no shit. You'll pick up tons of tricks for leads that add tons of flavor. It was the first progression I've made in guitar playing.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MichaelZodiac

Kinda on topic: I haven't been able to play for a week and it blows. Luckily I'll be able to play some later tonight.

On topic: I've been listening to a lot of sixties/seventies soundtracks from "drugmovies", I've found some pretty interesting stuff that have inspired me e.g. Electric Flag and their soundtrack for The Trip, the soundtrack of Holy Mountain, etc
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 26, 2011, 05:30:46 PMRecently, I've been kinda stuck in a rut, nothin' interesting falling off the fingers these days.

I've been there before. The cure for me was to get into music that I had not previously been as into. It opens up new universes on guitar. You can't force it of course but you can help it along by seeking out various sounds.